Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
View attachment 37479

I was about to eliminate the Wavac 833 on the basis that its +9dB bass boost from 80Hz to 160Hz is just too absurd, and reflects engineering far too sloppy, to get involved with -- but then I remembered that the Pendragon ribbon panel exhibits very little load below 200 Hz.

Gryphon+Wavac.jpg

Wavac powering Gryphon 4 Tower speakers ;) I also assume that this model has a crossover at 200HZ. That gets around the bass problem.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
(The most notable omission is the Atma-Sphere MA-2 Mk. 3.3, for which I have enormous respect, and here I simply remain concerned about missing the warmth (or coloration, to Ralph and to many others) I am accustomed to from transformer-coupled tube amplifiers.)

Ron, are your speakers adjustable for treble energy? If not, adjustment of room acoustics is always a powerful option. Wool carpets can help, and/or playing with absorptive/reflective side of ASC tube traps (the number of which to put in the room is to be determined). Of course, you do not want to overdamp the room, but before you reach that point you may have a lot of adjustment choices.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, amps tend to work differently with different speakers. Because one particular speaker works best with tubes doesn’t mean another will work well with tubes. SS is the correct solution for many speakers out there....maybe even for your new ones.
Unless you try, you would not necessarily know what drives the speakers better. While I agree with you that tube amps do bring something that ss does not, that doesn’t eliminate ss for me...it depends on the synergy with the particular speaker I am using at the time. Synergy...or as another experienced poster put it on another forum....the marriage, is what it’s all about.
SS or tubes...not that important...it’s the marriage.:D

I agree completely! I modified my post #737. Thank you!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
No like-y solid-statey (for my speakers).

Actually on Magico M3 I preferred Vitus over Kondo Kagura (which I found a little too soft and a little too fuzzy).

Understood. Do you have the Pendragons? Also, just curious (again) if you'd consider SS amps coupled with a tube preamp? Some think it's a best of both worlds setup (like me) :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
View attachment 37481

Wavac powering Gryphon 4 Tower speakers ;) I also assume that this model has a crossover at 200HZ. That gets around the bass problem.

Thank you for finding and for posting this photo! This certainly suggests proof of concept!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Price. I find the Jadis JA200 Mk. II are better value for money than the VAC's. And they leave room for options, like buying a second pair of amps.
And you were also commenting on the Wavacs price, thats why I left them out.
And I have never heard the Berning Quadrature-Z or seen measurments. Thats why I left them out.

I understand. That all makes sense! Thank you.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, are your speakers adjustable for treble energy? If not, adjustment of room acoustics is always a powerful option. Wool carpets can help, and/or playing with absorptive/reflective side of ASC tube traps (the number of which to put in the room is to be determined). Of course, you do not want to overdamp the room, but before you reach that point you may have a lot of adjustment choices.

There is a +1dB/flat/-1dB toggle switch for the air motion tweeter array, but that is not an adjustment for broad treble energy. But even if I had a tone control it would not have the effect of sonically putting more "meat on the bones" of the sonic presentation. In other words I don't consider my point here about OTL amps to be merely a function of tonal balance.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Understood. Do you have the Pendragons? Also, just curious (again) if you'd consider SS amps coupled with a tube preamp? Some think it's a best of both worlds setup (like me) :)

The Pendragons are in hibernation in storage.

Many people like tube preamp with solid-state power amp (e.g., Marty, sometimes bonzo75). The furthest I would go would be a hybrid (e.g., Aesthetix, Lamm) or "reverse hybrid" (KR Audio) power amplifier.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I sure have!

Hahahahah! This is great! Thank you so much, Jim, for this cartoon! :D

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, indeed. Thank you, Jeff.

But I will be excited to try your Lamm hybrids on the speakers!

I think JackD is in a great position to compare for us the Lamm hybrid to the KR Audio Kronzilla DX or DXL reverse hybrid.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After seeing and hearing the Alieno Ltd. 250 OTL at Jeroen's house I am officially adding this amplifier to the contender list.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
After seeing and hearing the Alieno Ltd. 250 OTL at Jeroen's house I am officially adding this amplifier to the contender list.

Did you get any new technical information about its circuit?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
no

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I decided to "fir out" the entire front wall to match the 4" protruding section on the left side of the front wall.

image.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I decided to "fir out" the entire front wall to match the 4" protruding section on the left side of the front wall.

View attachment 38276

The wood framing will be filled in with blue jeans insulation and then covered with common 5/8" drywall.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing