Rolling Stone Top 50 Prog Rock albums....

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I remember buying this mag.version up north, I nearly threw it in the campfire, after discovering no mention of Machine Head.

2015-06-18 11.30.00.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Haven't heard of 1/3 of these groups. :( But have 9/10 of the top ten. Who the hell is Can?
German krautrock and very experimental. Not everyone cup of tea.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I own 48 of the 50. I have to try harder.

Its certainly open to debate - lots of other albums spring to mind that could/should be included but overall its a pretty earnest attempt.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Not my list, but not bad. I'd personally substitute lesser Crimson for any Rush, and the omissions of Starless and Bible Black, The Yes Album and Aqualung are a bit disturbing.

Tim

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
-I own 2 but neither has been played in years.
-I once owned two others.
-I am only aware of about 15 in list.
-Would want to own - Zero

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Not my list, but not bad. I'd personally substitute lesser Crimson for any Rush, and the omissions of Starless and Bible Black, The Yes Album and Aqualung are a bit disturbing.

required taste perhaps, but you really need to see Rush live in order to understand how "great" a Bass player Geddy really is ...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yep, pretty good list, specially considering the source! Seems they're doing a 180 here, with Rush on the cover, and now this list! About time... Now they need to start working on a "Top 50 Italian Prog Albums"!

Of course, there'll always be people (like still-one, and KeithR) that don't like prog at all, and it's OK, we forgive them, right Ken? :D

With a band like Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, etc. it's hard to get consensus on "best album". My JT fave is "TaaB", not "Aqualung". While, for Yes, it's "Yes Album". Oh, and I disagree, we can never get enough Crimson! :)

Oh, and Can can get pretty weird early on, but they have some more "normal" albums, mid-to-late 70s, which could be a good starting point.

cheers,
alex

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
required taste perhaps, but you really need to see Rush live in order to understand how "great" a Bass player Geddy really is ...

I don't question their musicianship, I'm just not crazy about the material. And I find it easy to forget what a great player Geddy is the moment he begins to sing. YMMV, of course, but to me his voice is a bit like nails on a chalkboard.

Tim

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I don't question their musicianship, I'm just not crazy about the material. And I find it easy to forget what a great player Geddy is the moment he begins to sing. YMMV, of course, but to me his voice is a bit like nails on a chalkboard.

Tim

I figured as such ... hence the non-mention of his singing live. Honestly, I was shocked how good a R&R Bass player he was live, and I'm not really a big Rush fan.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Three Pink Floyds and only one Zappa?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Three Pink Floyds and only one Zappa?

Isn't that a given tho with near any such prog list, kinda like Jimmy's (98%Hendrix 1%Page) default #1 position in the vast majority of R&R guitarist poles. (once in a while Clapton gets top vote.)

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
These lists are a moving target meant to cause a discussion and its seems like this one already has on various forums.

Some of the less well know albums I would have included would be:

Schicke Fuhrs Frohling - Symphonic Pictures
Anglagard - Hybris
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel
Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Di Terra

The problem with a top 50 prog rock list is I have 100 titles that would fit.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
The problem with a top 50 prog rock list is I have 100 titles that would fit.
Exactly. And, for what it's worth, I have all 50 on the list.

And, finally, exclusion of Änglagård's Hybris is a major, major blunder.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing