Limited log In

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the report. No, I have not seen it but can't say that I have delayed posts too long. Can you give us some idea of how long you waited so that we know how repro it?

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Steve invited me to your site several months ago and I now recall it happened then too. I did a couple of posts tonight and no problem, one that I could not finish, kept rewriting was when I got logged off.

My bank does this too but they have a pop up that says you will be logged off in X minutes if you don't respond.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you don't check the box that says "keep me logged in" or something like it when you enter your login/password, the system would log you out in 15 minutes. I just doubled it to 30 minutes. That should give you plenty of time to ponder what words to use :). But just in case you need more time, please check the box to keep you logged in. That way, you get the added bonus of not having to log into the forum every time.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
I did not check the keep me logged in box, I'm accustomed to another site that does not use that method, so that's something I need to remember.

Neither of my browsers autofill function perform with the What's Best sign in page.

My bank's online account management will not allow autofill either where American Express, FedEx and AT&T do. Guess it's a site by site thing.

Great site by the way, very clean and well managed. Thanks to Steve for inviting me and thanks to you for having me.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, I could be wrong but according to my browser this site does not support auto log in. There are no corrupt preferences in auto fill and they can be edited per site without reset.

as best I know it allows for "remember me" but not autofill. We have the most current version although there is a recent patch that fixes 350 bugs but we want to make sure we know the software before we transfer the patch for fear we could lose everything. Stay tuned

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Autofill is not supported as our software (vbulletin) encodes the password so that it is not sent in the clear. Because of that, caching it in the browser does not work. Best solution then is to use "remember me" instead.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am often asked that if "keep me signed in"is checked and the member returns to the site asking for log-in information again. If this happens to you, I click on our logo or the forum button on the top left of the forum page and I am immediately in

nsgarch

Apr 20, 2010
Autofill is not supported as our software (vbulletin) encodes the password so that it is not sent in the clear. Because of that, caching it in the browser does not work. Best solution then is to use "remember me" instead.
Maybe it's just the version of vB you are using? I don't really know anything about the vB software, but what I do know, is that with some vB-powered forums, I always come up logged-in; and with some (like this one) I don't??

As for losing copy when I'm posting: in addition to the reasons already mentioned, sometimes it can happen for none of those reasons (non-site-specific I mean) so what I do, especially when writing a long post, is just do a Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C in the text box every couple of minutes, which saves the post to clipboard. You can also save it to 'Notepad' although you will lose any formatting.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Maybe it's just the version of vB you are using? I don't really know anything about the vB software, but what I do know, is that with some vB-powered forums, I always come up logged-in; and with some (like this one) I don't??
Oh, that should work. If you check the box that says "remember me" then you will always arrive here logged in (unless you switch browsers, clear cache, etc). The part you quoted has to do with the browser's ability to auto-fill the fields, should you not check that box. For security reasons, it doesn't let the browser do that.

As for losing copy when I'm posting: in addition to the reasons already mentioned, sometimes it can happen for none of those reasons (non-site-specific I mean) so what I do, especially when writing a long post, is just do a Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C in the text box every couple of minutes, which saves the post to clipboard. You can also save it to 'Notepad' although you will lose any formatting.
Great advice. I always do that when I have spent a lot of time typing something. You never know if your network connection might go down, browser crashing, etc, causing you to lose everything you typed. This tip has saved me in many occasions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing