Tip For Buying Used LPs

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Deleted

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I also look at the amount of wear around the center hole as an indicator of how much the person played the record. But the more tools in the toolbox the better, but have only had two instances out of hundreds where someone gave me a hard time about a return.

During summer months, I venture north (fishing/camping) and stop at many towns (yard sales/stores) along journey. Of course, no returns are a given, so it's a crap shoot tilted wayyyyy more towards failure; but once in a while you come across one that's, perhaps, for cents on the dollar, worth the restoration attempt.

Found this recently, Jethro Tull, living in the past...
2015-06-18 08.15.44.jpg

This little project will require some time/effort; very dirty, even pulling out the LP from the sleeve makes a grinding noise. But while dirt can often be completely cleaned, scratches are a different matter.

That little screw driver; I use it to adjust speed ... however it's knurled handle provides a perfect tool for opening up/smoothing edges within the center hole. My tt, like some others, has a slightly over-sized spindle.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
During summer months, I venture north (fishing/camping) and stop at many towns (yard sales/stores) along journey. Of course, no returns are a given, so it's a crap shoot tilted wayyyyy more towards failure; but once in a while you come across one that's, perhaps, for cents on the dollar, worth the restoration attempt.

Found this recently, Jethro Tull, living in the past...
View attachment 21062

This little project will require some time/effort; very dirty, even pulling out the LP from the sleeve makes a grinding noise. But while dirt can often be completely cleaned, scratches are a different matter.

That little screw driver; I use it to adjust speed ... however it's knurled handle provides a perfect tool for opening up/smoothing edges within the center hole. My tt, like some others, has a slightly over-sized spindle.

I think the spindle on my Oracle is slightly over-sized as well. I've noticed about a half-dozen albums that require a gentle nudge to lay flat, and one that will just not drop down. Never experienced that with any other tables I've had.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I think the spindle on my Oracle is slightly over-sized as well. I've noticed about a half-dozen albums that require a gentle nudge to lay flat, and one that will just not drop down. Never experienced that with any other tables I've had.

Some of my LP's completely refuse spindle penetration (gulp), almost need to drill ... while others fit with room to spare. However, the vast majority of my LPs, new or old, required that screw-drivers intervention, hence why I think my tt spindle is over-sized.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Sometimes, especially with unplayed LPs, label or glue spill over could be an issue. I too have a tight spindle, and have issues once in a while. I have a cone shaped rasp I use (by hand) when it happens.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Maybe. :p

TBone

Nov 15, 2012

hehehe ...

another note aside; tight pressure/contact between LP c.hole & spindle helps couple the LP to tt, kinda like a clamp. For those turntables or audiophiles who desire more compliant type mats, this maybe an issue ...

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
IIRC and Gary can confirm, you would line the record up on the old Roksan table and then remove the spindle. Or am I thinking of another table?

the first xerxes I believe, although again, yesterday seems far away.

I've worked on that table once too often.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
the first xerxes I believe, although again, yesterday seems far away.

I've worked on that table once too often.
I almost bought a Xerxes 20plus, but the deal fell through. And yes, I believe Gary Koh did mention that before about removing the spindle.

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
WWW.MCMASTER.COM

Machine reamers are stocked in 0.0005" steps..... or 0.0001" on special order. Special order takes an extra day or two.
Order up a spiral reamer that's on-size for your spindle. It will set you back about $25.

Cyclotronguy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing