What's up lately?

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi all,

TAD threads are quite slow lately. Had momentum a few months back but since then no one is really posting.

Was wondering how people are doing with their systems and speakers. I myself did finally find the right amps and preamps. Decided to go all TAD M600 + C600. Together with the Esoteric Grandioso P1/D01 is truly audio nirvana for my tastes and room. Could not be happier with the R1s. Every change is made very explicitly for better or for worse. They are demanding speakers and electronics. It has taken me a while to find the right combination of source, cables and so on, but when you get it right is really audio nirvana for my taste and room.

How about rest of posters? Any updates to share?

Best
Eli

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Does anyone have any more information on what's going on since Andrew Jones left the company?

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Does anyone have any more information on what's going on since Andrew Jones left the company?

Andrew left the company??? Had no idea. Well at least he left the great R1s and CR1s. R1s will remain with me for a long time. No new updated models though, which actually may be a good thing to avoid temptations...

Too bad. I think his skills together with TAD technology and resources were a great team and surely produced one of the finest speakers at each Price point out there.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I agree he's definitely one of the young(er) guns that will be carrying the torch forward.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Eli, checked out your system and pics on the Gon and have to say it looks fantastic! If I was to buy my ultimate pair of speakers it would be the R1's. I had a pair in my room to demo at one time but they didn't suit the amps I had at the time (Naim 552/500) so didn't buy them. They would be ideal with my current amp, Dartzeel 18/108, but I don't have the money to buy them. Hey-ho, such is life I guess. Anyway congrats on such a wonderful system, I'm sure it will give you many years of wonderful music.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Thanks a lot Sencha. They are great indeed and with the Dartzeel they have to sound fantastic. I am indeed enjoying.

Managed to place my system here, or so I think...

I wonder how the rest of the TAD community are doing. Hope they read this and post.

standingwave

Feb 25, 2016
I recently put together a system with the D1000MK2 & the M2500Mk2 - will post more shortly.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Thanks a lot Sencha. They are great indeed and with the Dartzeel they have to sound fantastic. I am indeed enjoying.

Managed to place my system here, or so I think...

I wonder how the rest of the TAD community are doing. Hope they read this and post.

Hi, I am, unfortunately, not part of the TAD community. But I can say one thing - the TAD compact evolution I heard at Munich last week, are in my view, top contender for best small size/ monitor speakers. I haven't heard the reference TAD speakers but can only imagine that partnered with the right electronics ( preferably SS), they will be destination speakers in every which way! In fact, if I ever change speakers ( I currently have the Rockport Aviors which I am very happy with), I will look at the CR 1 very seriously!

Cheers

Sujay

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
New TAD Ref1 MkII owner here; that's what's up :D! Pulled the trigger and made a switch from my long-time speaker brand; mine arrived yesterday and after many hours of prep and hauling prior speakers out and downstairs and these 330-lb beasts upstairs, they were finally in my room as of last yesterday. Get to see how they sound this morning after I cable everything back up and they finish acclimating to house temperatures (it was 35 degrees and lower in the days/nights they were in transit)...Thank you all!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
My Ref1 MkII's go in before Christmas - I will keep you posted.

Excellent...congratulations! Do you have help moving them? You'll need some(!); the cartons and speakers are massive! When you get into them and see them for the first time in person like I did last night you won't believe how beautiful they are; all the pictures out there do not fully convey how wonderful they look in person!

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Congratulations to you both!great choice and you are in for a treat. 500 hours or so to break them in fully.
These speakers really do things to the sound,others only claim....

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Congratulations to you both!great choice and you are in for a treat. 500 hours or so to break them in fully.

Ozy...great to hear from you! Hope life is treating you well....

They have almost finished acclimating to house temps; 330 lbs is a LOT of weight and electronics inside to ease
from 33-35 degrees (F) to 70! I'll put news out there and here as soon as I finish cabling and getting them
connected. Have a great day!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010

Thank you again ozy,...from the first track I played it is immediately obvious these are stunning and wonderful speakers. I then proceeded to throw 30 or more of my top 'SHOW ME' tracks from various genres of music and albums at them. Top to bottom, 20 Hz material and possibly a bit lower (pipe organ), through luscious mids and into the highs and transients were reproduced with authority and prodigious output when needed, delicacy when called for and the best imaging "day 1" of any speaker I've ever heard or owned. They are truly amazing!

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
Welcome to TAD

Welcome to TAD! I got M1s when they first came out. That was a fantastic speaker, a bit more transparent than an R1 as it was a 4 way and voiced a bit differently. The R1 is a little bigger and has better lower end. Unfortunately like most/all M1s, mine cracked, twice. Pioneer refunded fully the cost of the speakers. I thinks that was $45,000. Amazing. I used that to buy Magico Q5s. After a few years, I decided the Q5s were just not for me. Too dry and very fragile with the drivers exposed, and ridiculously heavy and difficult to fix (have to go to factory for anything). I sold the Q5s and TAD helped me so I could get back in to a pair of R1s. Andrew is amazing. Too bad he's not at TAD, but even without him, the support from TAD is very good. And I do agree these speakers image amazingly well. Mine are driven by Constellation Centaur monos and a Berkeley Reference DAC series 2. To my ears, it's an amazing system. I also use it two channel for my TV. No need for a sub or a center or even surrounds. On certain movies, these speakers even image behind the listener. I had a center (Pioneer/TAD center) and surrounds, but finally took them out since it was very hard to match the quality of the two channel system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing