Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A Little Personal Background

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    David,

I feel ashamed I missed your great post. You were luckier than me - the first time I was at Ricardo's the A1's were hidden behind the curtains, we could not listen to them. The most memorable session I had at his large room was carried with the large Belgian Etude speakers and Audio Research electronics, listening to Erik Clapton "Unplugged" recording. Double trouble was never the same again ...

However a common friend, perhaps influenced by Ricardo, got a pair of Soundlab A2's - the smaller model - that many years later came in my possession, followed by a pair of A4's I got from the then UK distributor, Branko Bozic. Later a friend was contaminated by my enthusiasm for the brand and even became distributor of Soundlab in my country. With regular intervals for experiences with other less "obtrusive" brands, A1's have been part of my audiophile life for 25 years. Although they are not distributed anymore, thanks to the excellent service and friendship of Sounlab's Roger West, my A1 PX's have now all the possible upgrades, including the Toroid 2.
    I knew Ricardo was the most influential personality in UK high end, sometimes I wonder if high end would have ever come to England without him, but I'm amazed how many others he's touched in different places. I don't have any experience with other Soundlab speakers but Roger's A1 and B1 never gained the popularity and recognition that they truly deserve, with the right electronics they're nearly impossible to match.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Detlof's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Sure you know it by now TBone, our systems are anything but chick magnets!

david
    Perhaps a little story which came to mind here is allowed:
    Years ago I sat down a lady in front of my rig and wanted to soften her heart towards me with some Mozart. Of no avail: She looked at my rig and complained of "electro smog". She didn't stay for long......

Besides that, I love this thread. It brings back so many memories in me. I also grew up with live music, played the piano until the war and Hitler threw everything off course for a while.Later and in a new country I discovered the Quads with their electronics and fell in love with their sound. Went through all their iterations, tried the Servo Statics, later stacked Quad 62s with Sequerra tweeters and those great Maggie subs, soon to be reinforced by Entecs until I discovered the Sound Labs and had my amp problems solved for good by Ralph Karstens wonderful Atma-Sphere MA-2s. Only exchanged speakers 2 years ago for the German Physiks Emperor Mk2s, but kept the Atmas for the top end. Don't remember all the turntables I went through unti I found Reverchon's Golmund Reference used and hated it until I had it modded. Listened to that with an equally modded arm and a highly modded Souther until the Kronos pro came along and now the AFO. Don't remember how many carts and of what make I busted, settled with Peter Suchy's stuff finally, in spite of that stupid and snobby diamond in front of it and have learned to be careful. Was taught how to solder by a master craftsman and made my own cables until I discovered those made by Serguei. Another Russian ended my quest for a front end which would finally put my mind at ease: Vladimir Lamm. Before that I loved the soft euphony of Jadis, the magnificent richness of sound from the Wavacs and the high precision and delicacy of the Zanden. The Lamms to my ears simply have all that put together.
    I am a tube and analog man, always have been, but can certainly also be taken by digital and solid state. In fact I have a pair of AVM monos which drive the bass side of the Emperors with both punch and delicacy. I also enjoy Jazz from ripped cd through my MSB dac connected to 'the Beast" from Request Audio. But as a lover of classical music, I think it will always be analog and tubes until my ears shut down for good.
    Last edited by Detlof; 12-12-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    ended my quest for a front end which would finally put my mind at ease: Vladimir Lamm.
    Like you I was on a similar quest until I discovered Vladimir's products-for both front and back end

I went all tubes approximately 12 years ago and after a 30 year absence from tape and vinyl I got back into tape with a Studer A810 like you and only this year bought an AF0 and have only been playing classical music since then

So I too know it will always be analog and tubes until I too ride off into the sunset

Bravo to you Detlof
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Thanks Steve. Feels good not to be alone. Feels good to be here.
    Detlof

Addicted to Best! andrew_stenhouse's Avatar
    What a wonderful thread. Made my ( early) morning, reading this over my tea, while listening to some Bach oboe concertos.

A real slice of living history.

Thank you.

Edit: never heard a Lamm I haven't loved, or a Shindo either, for that matter. Both wonderful kit that connects you to the music. For me tubes and vinyl is the ultimate.
    Best wishes,
    Andrew

Sculptor in avatar is Henry Spencer Moore OM CH FBA (30 July 1898 – 31 August 1986).

very true, andrew.
    valves and vinyl, are indeed, a most fabulous combination.
    together, they have a sense of 'body' that is just so palpable.

Hi Detlof,
    I was traveling last week and missed your post, its always nice to hear from others! Quite a journey you've had and looks like you electrostatics and now on to very complex speakers. With your love of analog you have to get Vladimir's LP1, you won't believe how wonderful it sounds ! Out of curiosity do you still have your Goldmund & Kronos or are they gone after the AF-1.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Detlof View Post
    Perhaps a little story which came to mind here is allowed:
    Years ago I sat down a lady in front of my rig and wanted to soften her heart towards me with some Mozart. Of no avail: She looked at my rig and complained of "electro smog". She didn't stay for long......

Besides that, I love this thread. It brings back so many memories in me. I also grew up with live music, played the piano until the war and Hitler threw everything off course for a while.Later and in a new country I discovered the Quads with their electronics and fell in love with their sound. Went through all their iterations, tried the Servo Statics, later stacked Quad 62s with Sequerra tweeters and those great Maggie subs, soon to be reinforced by Entecs until I discovered the Sound Labs and had my amp problems solved for good by Ralph Karstens wonderful Atma-Sphere MA-2s. Only exchanged speakers 2 years ago for the German Physiks Emperor Mk2s, but kept the Atmas for the top end. Don't remember all the turntables I went through unti I found Reverchon's Golmund Reference used and hated it until I had it modded. Listened to that with an equally modded arm and a highly modded Souther until the Kronos pro came along and now the AFO. Don't remember how many carts and of what make I busted, settled with Peter Suchy's stuff finally, in spite of that stupid and snobby diamond in front of it and have learned to be careful. Was taught how to solder by a master craftsman and made my own cables until I discovered those made by Serguei. Another Russian ended my quest for a front end which would finally put my mind at ease: Vladimir Lamm. Before that I loved the soft euphony of Jadis, the magnificent richness of sound from the Wavacs and the high precision and delicacy of the Zanden. The Lamms to my ears simply have all that put together.
    I am a tube and analog man, always have been, but can certainly also be taken by digital and solid state. In fact I have a pair of AVM monos which drive the bass side of the Emperors with both punch and delicacy. I also enjoy Jazz from ripped cd through my MSB dac connected to 'the Beast" from Request Audio. But as a lover of classical music, I think it will always be analog and tubes until my ears shut down for good.
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_stenhouse View Post
    What a wonderful thread. Made my ( early) morning, reading this over my tea, while listening to some Bach oboe concertos.

A real slice of living history.

Thank you.

Edit: never heard a Lamm I haven't loved, or a Shindo either, for that matter. Both wonderful kit that connects you to the music. For me tubes and vinyl is the ultimate.
    One of these days you have to make a trip to Lamm heaven Andrew !

david

Addicted to Best! andrew_stenhouse's Avatar
    One of these days you have to make a trip to Lamm heaven Andrew !

david
    Thank you David, I would love to.

In the meantime I shall enjoy from afar.
    Best wishes,
    Andrew

Sculptor in avatar is Henry Spencer Moore OM CH FBA (30 July 1898 – 31 August 1986).

Hi Detlof,
    I was traveling last week and missed your post, its always nice to hear from others! Quite a journey you've had and looks like you electrostatics and now on to very complex speakers. With your love of analog you have to get Vladimir's LP1, you won't believe how wonderful it sounds ! Out of curiosity do you still have your Goldmund & Kronos or are they gone after the AF-1.

david
    Thanks David for your response,
    Yes I still have both the Godlmund as well as the Kronos. There is no help where I live if something goes wrong. Must be "redundant". Could not bear to be without music and yes, I bought the LP1 together with the LL1 and as you say, the LP1 is an "earopener". Have never been more happy than with Vlad's frontend!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234