A Little Personal Background

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
My moniker is “ddk” on What’s The Best Forums. While there’s nothing like a great live performance I know with the right system and room one can repeatedly have the same experience at home, reproduced as desired. In my case I fail to make the right connections to the original event with digital; even with a flawless recording of a favorite song. So by default Analog is my only choice when I think/talk about “high end”; irrespective of what one spends for a current SOTA digital. My gear journey from start to finish, i.e., the point when you finally say that this is good enough and better wont add to my enjoyment, was a long and expensive one. I’m settled on Vinyl (analog only) and Shellac as my primary source of music, hence the lust for exceptional turntables. Vintage horn designs is where my heart is at, haven't heard anything even close to their speed, dynamics and natural ease. Electronics of equal quality were my last piece of the puzzle until I met Vladimir Lamm 16 years ago. It took a brief conversation with the man and a few minutes listening to his gear to recognize what he's created and never looked back since.

My first brush with real high end was about 35 years ago at the home of my friend Ricardo Franassovici, Absolute Sounds UK, and his magnificent Sound Lab A1 speakers. The sight & sound of those gorgeous A1’s in his beautiful English country home are still with me. He set the bar and gave me a real reference. A few years later I moved to the Far East where I soon encountered the local audiophiles and a circle of new friends. By the early 90’s we had an established hi-end club with paid membership from all over the region. We used the substantial sum collected from members to purchase high end equipment for the club and its members. From 1992 to 1998 we actively collected every piece of high end audio gear we found from around the world, certainly most everything recommended by the two dominant US based magazines. I did most of the purchasing and installations for members. It was a lot of fun and an invaluable hands on experience but I must admit that none of those very expensive systems evoked the emotional response I had to Ricardo’s system years before. In retrospect I understand the reason for that. The two US based magazines were the dominant publications of that period, instead of following our own minds and desired we blindly fell in line with the flawed instructions, aspirations and egos of their founders down the rabbit hole. Another factor was the rise of digital.

Fortunately there was another and a very different high end scene in Japan. The community there had a completely different focus and expectation from their systems. Very sophisticated, the “Emotional” content was what mattered most. Like Ricardo’s A1’s. It was also where I first saw the big Micro Seiki and EMT tables. While conflicting I learnt from both philosophies. I grew up with live music, I knew which path to pursue.

The Emotional & the Natural is what I care for in a system, irrespective of cost. Its either a conduit to the original event or not, the rest of it is completely irrelevant for me today. I don’t turn on “The System” to analyze or be impressed by it, I want to tap my foot and shake my head uncontrollably. I listen to a lot of digital and like it too, but analog is where it happens for me.

While never my main career as a side business I have had a professional connection to the high end industry since the late 80’s. Importer, distributor and dealer in various countries. High end audio is special, over the years many opened their homes and shared their love of the hobby with me. Even met some close friends whom I probably would have never met otherwise, I'm grateful for that.

David Karmeli
Damoka LLC Audio

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Enjoyed reading your post; we've taken very different paths, having both grown up with live music, our goals are probably identical. The beauty of this hobby is too often fogged over by red vs blue, $ vs $$, absolute distinctions, and personal preference ... yet our journeys, how we each arrive independently or dependently of each other, I find, are the more interesting saga's.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Enjoyed reading your post; we've taken very different paths, having both grown up with live music, our goals are probably identical. The beauty of this hobby is too often fogged over by red vs blue, $ vs $$, absolute distinctions, and personal preference ... yet our journeys, how we each arrive independently or dependently of each other, I find, are the more interesting saga's.

Agreed TBone.

david

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
David, just to add, not only did I grow up with live music, I also grew up with a sibling who was a very accomplished guitar(s) player. If you ever want to discuss envy, imagine mine, when up north camping as teenagers, my brother & I around a campfire, he'd pull out his 12 string and bingo, near every teenage girl from town would arrive. The problem was, none showed any interest in me. That's, perhaps, the real reason I got into this hobby. Still waiting for the girls tho ...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, just to add, not only did I grow up with live music, I also grew up with a sibling who was a very accomplished guitar(s) player. If you ever want to discuss envy, imagine mine, when up north camping as teenagers, my brother & I around a campfire, he'd pull out his 12 string and bingo, near every teenage girl from town would arrive. The problem was, none showed any interest in me. That's, perhaps, the real reason I got into this hobby. Still waiting for the girls tho ...

Sure you know it by now TBone, our systems are anything but chick magnets:(!

david

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic read...and personally, i appreciate not only your [utter] commitment to the uber high end, but your willingness to share it, and also your advice both online and offline. Thanks for being here. I have kept some of your PMs and refer to them as i think about the next big step in my system.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Fantastic read...and personally, i appreciate not only your [utter] commitment to the uber high end, but your willingness to share it, and also your advice but online and offline. Thanks for being here. I have kept some of your PMs and refer to them as i think about the next big step in my system.

Anytime Lloyd, appreciate the kind words.:)

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I enjoyed reading your personal background, and I very much appreciate and applaud your passion and enthusiasm for the hobby and the music which drives it. I share your preference that when we sit down to listen we want to feel an emotional involvement with the music, and not be distracted by aspects of the equipment.

I love this sentence from "The Quest for Perfect Sound, " by Edward Rothstein, The New Republic (December 30, 1985): "The High End is partly a Romance, a quest for something beyond the reach of any equipment. That quest means using technology to overcome itself, making itself invisible at the very moment of its greatest achievement."

PS: I agree about analog. I do not seem to be able to establish with digital the emotional connection I can create with analog.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Like Tbone I came along a slightly different path. My first experience with high-end audio was in 1971 at a local dealer's with 3-channel Klipschorns and La Scala, with Mac and Marantz electronics. Through most of the '70's and into the early '80's I often recorded major artists (surreptitiously, of course) and friends and local artists (more openly and officially). Regardless of the microphones and tape decks, analog recordings never got me close to the original experience, at least not in the way I wanted. Neither did early digital recordings, but the outboard Nakamichi PCM convertor with B&K (now DPA) mics got me closer than any of my reel decks (Tandberg, Technics and Revox, and very occasionally a Nagra IV) did in ways that seemed to matter more to me. Even today, of course, neither analog nor digital recordings really fool me into thinking they are the real thing, but I'll take either one if well done, with a practical preference for digital simply because it's easier (and more affordable) to bring high quality sources into my home with the largest availability of music I want to hear.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I enjoyed reading your personal background, and I very much appreciate and applaud your passion and enthusiasm for the hobby and the music which drives it. I share your preference that when we sit down to listen we want to feel an emotional involvement with the music, and not be distracted by aspects of the equipment.

I love this sentence from "The Quest for Perfect Sound, " by Edward Rothstein, The New Republic (December 30, 1985): "The High End is partly a Romance, a quest for something beyond the reach of any equipment. That quest means using technology to overcome itself, making itself invisible at the very moment of its greatest achievement."

PS: I agree about analog. I do not seem to be able to establish with digital the emotional connection I can create with analog.

Thanks Ron. Never read The New Republic but agree fully with what he said, wish I'd come to conclusion sooner than later...

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Like Tbone I came along a slightly different path. My first experience with high-end audio was in 1971 at a local dealer's with 3-channel Klipschorns and La Scala, with Mac and Marantz electronics. Through most of the '70's and into the early '80's I often recorded major artists (surreptitiously, of course) and friends and local artists (more openly and officially). Regardless of the microphones and tape decks, analog recordings never got me close to the original experience, at least not in the way I wanted. Neither did early digital recordings, but the outboard Nakamichi PCM convertor with B&K (now DPA) mics got me closer than any of my reel decks (Tandberg, Technics and Revox, and very occasionally a Nagra IV) did in ways that seemed to matter more to me. Even today, of course, neither analog nor digital recordings really fool me into thinking they are the real thing, but I'll take either one if well done, with a practical preference for digital simply because it's easier (and more affordable) to bring high quality sources into my home with the largest availability of music I want to hear.

How and what did they demo on 3 channels? I only remember the Quad recordings from the 70's. A friend's father was a night club owner and he had a Klipsch, Mac, Garrard, Nakamichi system. We were barely in our teens and already deep into music, I remember us going over to his house spending hours listening and making bootleg cassettes while making fun of of the ancient tubes and horns. We were ignorant then and so proud of our ss receivers and POS direct drive tables, little did I know that's what I'd return too a couple of decades later.

I understand practicality of digital and it can be very, very good, but its still is missing certain things. I gave up on film for my photography for practicality and ease but struggle in loving digital images for the very same reasons that digital audio leaves me wanting. There's no depth in the blacks with digital and while you can see the all important light it fails to create emotion and atmosphere the way film does. That's why I'm regularly impressed by great digital images but rarely moved.

david

Reactions: ab72

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo were mostly recorded in 3-channels but weren't widely available. Klipsch was a big believer in the Bell Labs experiments with 3-channel sound and they made a passive network to synthesize the center channel, which mated well with the tube mono amps commonly used with Klipsch back then (and probably now, for that matter). We all look at or hear different things as our primary cues to enable us to suspend our disbelief when using reproductions.

Reactions: RussR

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo were mostly recorded in 3-channels but weren't widely available. Klipsch was a big believer in the Bell Labs experiments with 3-channel sound and they made a passive network to synthesize the center channel, which mated well with the tube mono amps commonly used with Klipsch back then (and probably now, for that matter). We all look at or hear different things as our primary cues to enable us to suspend our disbelief when using reproductions.

I never knew about 3 channel pressings or seen any playback source equipment from that era designed for it. Something different to look into, thanks for that!

david

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ah David, Very Interesting to read your pathway to the Hi End --and note your wonderful systems--my word--Kudos there!

I just noted your reference to Ricardo's System being Sound Labs Speakers-- I am also good friend of his and used to visit him in his magnificent Wimbledon Parkway Walled mansion

We keep in touch --he Emailed me only yesterday actually.

I must admit to not seeing nor hearing any SL's with him--he did however have the Apogee Diva's which he'd blow the Tweeters on!:D

Are you positive you heard SL's?-just if I recall the UK agent for SLs was Audiofreaks--but I could be wrong--been along time!

I envy your setup immensely !

Good Listening,

BruceD

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Ah David, Very Interesting to read your pathway to the Hi End --and note your wonderful systems--my word--Kudos there!

I just noted your reference to Ricardo's System being Sound Labs Speakers-- I am also good friend of his and used to visit him in his magnificent Wimbledon Parkway Walled mansion

We keep in touch --he Emailed me only yesterday actually.

I must admit to not seeing nor hearing any SL's with him--he did however have the Apogee Diva's which he'd blow the Tweeters on!:D

Are you positive you heard SL's?-just if I recall the UK agent for SLs was Audiofreaks--but I could be wrong--been along time!

I envy your setup immensely !

Good Listening,

BruceD

Thanks Bruce! Everything you see in the system I hunted down actively but the speakers were found by sheer luck. I was visiting a vintage audio dealer in Hiroshima for other speakers when I saw them in his storage unit and had no idea what they were. He set up a single horn without any of the panels as courtesy, that was enough. It took 4 days to convince him to sell them.

I lived in London from 1979 to 1984, that's when I met Ricardo, a few years before the Divas were released. You must have met him later. I don't know how you blow those ribbons, I had my Divas from 1989 to 2003 and they only got damaged during a move in NYC. I guess at the time there weren't any amplifiers that could really drive them properly and given the size of his room he to crank whatever he was using to clipping.

david

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There's one question I've always wanted to ask you David. Where in the heck did you manage to find those Bionors?

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There's one question I've always wanted to ask you David. Where in the heck did you manage to find those Bionors?

In another thread he said he found them at a dealer's in Japan and took 4 days to convince him to sell

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Missed that one. Thanks Steve.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks Bruce! Everything you see in the system I hunted down actively but the speakers were found by sheer luck. I was visiting a vintage audio dealer in Hiroshima for other speakers when I saw them in his storage unit and had no idea what they were. He set up a single horn without any of the panels as courtesy, that was enough. It took 4 days to convince him to sell them.

I lived in London from 1979 to 1984, that's when I met Ricardo, a few years before the Divas were released. You must have met him later. I don't know how you blow those ribbons, I had my Divas from 1989 to 2003 and they only got damaged during a move in NYC. I guess at the time there weren't any amplifiers that could really drive them properly and given the size of his room he to crank whatever he was using to clipping.

david

Ah Thank you for that--yes I lived in the UK 84 to 86-- my second time After Art Schooling there 59to 66---WE met in 84 when I bought some ARC gear and we became good friends like wise with his then sec Debbie--

OK so that explains the SLs--he never mentioned them so maybe they gave him a bad memory ha!--I've owned

A1 s and been through all the trials and tribulations of those panel--frankly not for me sorry!

Yes the Divas were up against the Glass doors(UGH!) facing into the lounge driven by Krells at the time-- pooff!!--out went two panels KK was there for Dins and we looked at one another and hid our heads while the smoke cleared--ha!

Ricardo is changed today-- not the as then longhaired Rockstar--more Mafia boss look -new family/etc

Still makes me laugh tho!

Wow! what story on the speaker--yes been similar--when I was assignment in Japan mid 70's I convinced my employer there--Dentsu Advt to locate this mystery Sugano-san as I wished to buy his "new"cartridge -as I already owned Supexes

same thing we went to his house --winding coils with the family on the kitchen table-- took me 2weeks for him to make me a K--one of the first outside Jp

Great times!

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing