Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Little Personal Background

A Little Personal Background

My moniker is “ddk” on What’s The Best Forums. While there’s nothing like a great live performance I know with the right system and room one can repeatedly have the same experience at home, reproduced as desired. In my case I fail to make the right connections to the original event with digital; even with a flawless recording of a favorite song. So by default Analog is my only choice when I think/talk about “high end”; irrespective of what one spends for a current SOTA digital. My gear journey from start to finish, i.e., the point when you finally say that this is good enough and better wont add to my enjoyment, was a long and expensive one. I’m settled on Vinyl (analog only) and Shellac as my primary source of music, hence the lust for exceptional turntables. Vintage horn designs is where my heart is at, haven't heard anything even close to their speed, dynamics and natural ease. Electronics of equal quality were my last piece of the puzzle until I met Vladimir Lamm 16 years ago. It took a brief conversation with the man and a few minutes listening to his gear to recognize what he's created and never looked back since.

My first brush with real high end was about 35 years ago at the home of my friend Ricardo Franassovici, Absolute Sounds UK, and his magnificent Sound Lab A1 speakers. The sight & sound of those gorgeous A1’s in his beautiful English country home are still with me. He set the bar and gave me a real reference. A few years later I moved to the Far East where I soon encountered the local audiophiles and a circle of new friends. By the early 90’s we had an established hi-end club with paid membership from all over the region. We used the substantial sum collected from members to purchase high end equipment for the club and its members. From 1992 to 1998 we actively collected every piece of high end audio gear we found from around the world, certainly most everything recommended by the two dominant US based magazines. I did most of the purchasing and installations for members. It was a lot of fun and an invaluable hands on experience but I must admit that none of those very expensive systems evoked the emotional response I had to Ricardo’s system years before. In retrospect I understand the reason for that. The two US based magazines were the dominant publications of that period, instead of following our own minds and desired we blindly fell in line with the flawed instructions, aspirations and egos of their founders down the rabbit hole. Another factor was the rise of digital.

Fortunately there was another and a very different high end scene in Japan. The community there had a completely different focus and expectation from their systems. Very sophisticated, the “Emotional” content was what mattered most. Like Ricardo’s A1’s. It was also where I first saw the big Micro Seiki and EMT tables. While conflicting I learnt from both philosophies. I grew up with live music, I knew which path to pursue.

The Emotional & the Natural is what I care for in a system, irrespective of cost. Its either a conduit to the original event or not, the rest of it is completely irrelevant for me today. I don’t turn on “The System” to analyze or be impressed by it, I want to tap my foot and shake my head uncontrollably. I listen to a lot of digital and like it too, but analog is where it happens for me.

While never my main career as a side business I have had a professional connection to the high end industry since the late 80’s. Importer, distributor and dealer in various countries. High end audio is special, over the years many opened their homes and shared their love of the hobby with me. Even met some close friends whom I probably would have never met otherwise, I'm grateful for that.

David Karmeli
    Damoka LLC Audio
    Last edited by ddk; 06-05-2016 at 05:43 PM.
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Enjoyed reading your post; we've taken very different paths, having both grown up with live music, our goals are probably identical. The beauty of this hobby is too often fogged over by red vs blue, $ vs $$, absolute distinctions, and personal preference ... yet our journeys, how we each arrive independently or dependently of each other, I find, are the more interesting saga's.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Enjoyed reading your post; we've taken very different paths, having both grown up with live music, our goals are probably identical. The beauty of this hobby is too often fogged over by red vs blue, $ vs $$, absolute distinctions, and personal preference ... yet our journeys, how we each arrive independently or dependently of each other, I find, are the more interesting saga's.
    Agreed TBone.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

David, just to add, not only did I grow up with live music, I also grew up with a sibling who was a very accomplished guitar(s) player. If you ever want to discuss envy, imagine mine, when up north camping as teenagers, my brother & I around a campfire, he'd pull out his 12 string and bingo, near every teenage girl from town would arrive. The problem was, none showed any interest in me. That's, perhaps, the real reason I got into this hobby. Still waiting for the girls tho ...

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    David, just to add, not only did I grow up with live music, I also grew up with a sibling who was a very accomplished guitar(s) player. If you ever want to discuss envy, imagine mine, when up north camping as teenagers, my brother & I around a campfire, he'd pull out his 12 string and bingo, near every teenage girl from town would arrive. The problem was, none showed any interest in me. That's, perhaps, the real reason I got into this hobby. Still waiting for the girls tho ...
    Sure you know it by now TBone, our systems are anything but chick magnets!

david

Addicted to Best!
    Fantastic read...and personally, i appreciate not only your [utter] commitment to the uber high end, but your willingness to share it, and also your advice both online and offline. Thanks for being here. I have kept some of your PMs and refer to them as i think about the next big step in my system.
    Last edited by LL21; 06-18-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Speaker: Wilson X1/Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amps: CJ GAT/Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: SC:TA Opus 5 IC:TA RefMM2 PC:PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    16 Isolation 'Sandwiches': Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/FiniteElemente/EAT/90kg
    Power/Ground/Shield: Dedicated 16A Lines/Furutech Outlet/Burmester948/NordostQX4 / Tripoint (TroySig+Thor) Entreq (Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap)
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Aperture / Amperex7308 Mullard(6922 6CA4 6X4) TeleE88CC

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Fantastic read...and personally, i appreciate not only your [utter] commitment to the uber high end, but your willingness to share it, and also your advice but online and offline. Thanks for being here. I have kept some of your PMs and refer to them as i think about the next big step in my system.
    Anytime Lloyd, appreciate the kind words.

david

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    I enjoyed reading your personal background, and I very much appreciate and applaud your passion and enthusiasm for the hobby and the music which drives it. I share your preference that when we sit down to listen we want to feel an emotional involvement with the music, and not be distracted by aspects of the equipment.

I love this sentence from "The Quest for Perfect Sound, " by Edward Rothstein, The New Republic (December 30, 1985): "The High End is partly a Romance, a quest for something beyond the reach of any equipment. That quest means using technology to overcome itself, making itself invisible at the very moment of its greatest achievement."

PS: I agree about analog. I do not seem to be able to establish with digital the emotional connection I can create with analog.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims

Like Tbone I came along a slightly different path. My first experience with high-end audio was in 1971 at a local dealer's with 3-channel Klipschorns and La Scala, with Mac and Marantz electronics. Through most of the '70's and into the early '80's I often recorded major artists (surreptitiously, of course) and friends and local artists (more openly and officially). Regardless of the microphones and tape decks, analog recordings never got me close to the original experience, at least not in the way I wanted. Neither did early digital recordings, but the outboard Nakamichi PCM convertor with B&K (now DPA) mics got me closer than any of my reel decks (Tandberg, Technics and Revox, and very occasionally a Nagra IV) did in ways that seemed to matter more to me. Even today, of course, neither analog nor digital recordings really fool me into thinking they are the real thing, but I'll take either one if well done, with a practical preference for digital simply because it's easier (and more affordable) to bring high quality sources into my home with the largest availability of music I want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by RonR View Post
    I enjoyed reading your personal background, and I very much appreciate and applaud your passion and enthusiasm for the hobby and the music which drives it. I share your preference that when we sit down to listen we want to feel an emotional involvement with the music, and not be distracted by aspects of the equipment.

I love this sentence from "The Quest for Perfect Sound, " by Edward Rothstein, The New Republic (December 30, 1985): "The High End is partly a Romance, a quest for something beyond the reach of any equipment. That quest means using technology to overcome itself, making itself invisible at the very moment of its greatest achievement."

PS: I agree about analog. I do not seem to be able to establish with digital the emotional connection I can create with analog.

Thanks Ron. Never read The New Republic but agree fully with what he said, wish I'd come to conclusion sooner than later...

david

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast