low watt amplifiers in either stereo or mono - recommendations?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I'm looking to pair up with my Horning 98 db speakers -

Any you would recommend? why? Price doesn't matter - from the lowest to what ever.

My small short list in no order;

BorderPatrol
Tron Telstar GT
TW Acustic 300B mono blocks
M300B Frankenstein MK II

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
do you have the Eufrodite? they are more like 95dbs into 8 ohms, so I'd look to an 211/845 amplifier. Audion Black Shadows are excellent and not relatively expensive. Lamm would be another as would KR Audio.

Last edited:

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
do you have the Eufrodite? they are more like 95dbs into 8 ohms, so I'd look to an 845 amplifier. Audion Black Shadows are excellent and not relatively expensive. Lamm would be another as would KR Audio.

Yes, latest version - no many even out there - these have 16 Brand New woofers.

impedance: 4 ohm flat , very easy load

power: 30 watt/60 watt music

efficiency: 98 db one watt

Audion Black Shadows - thx I'll look into those

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes, latest version - no many even out there - these have 16 Brand New woofers.

Audion Black Shadows - thx I'll look into those

Lamm ML3 Signature Look no further. You'll never buy another amp. Of course I am biased ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm looking to pair up with my Horning 98 db speakers -

Any you would recommend? why? Price doesn't matter - from the lowest to what ever.

My small short list in no order;

BorderPatrol
Tron Telstar GT
TW Acustic 300B mono blocks
M300B Frankenstein MK II

Jazzdoc/MikeL. Might be able to comment on Jeffrey's amps.

http://www.jeffreywjackson.com/amplifiers.htm

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

All I meant was 98dbs into 4 ohms ~= 95dbs into 8 ohms

also make sure whatever SET amplifier you purchase has 4 ohm taps.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Thrax Spartacus would be worth considering. Great review in UK mag HiFi Critic. It got their highest rating ever!

AudioBear

Apr 29, 2015
I use the First Watt SIT-1 mono block amplifiers with some Beauhorn single driver horn (98db, probably nearer 16 ohmn) speakers. They are very good and could handle 4ohmn I think. For years I have been a 300B SE man, I still have a pair of 300b monblocks (Welborne Terraplane's) , but the SIT's are special, well worth investigating.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm biased towards the ML3 as well. The KRs as Keith said are also an alternative. That we have them in the same stable doesn't mean that they sound alike but rather they have presentations that we partners could very happily live with long term. We've found extremely good synergy between the two as well. The L2 reference's detail filigree and instrumental delineation match extremely well with the DX2's texture and richness. That the lowish .75 output voltage sweetspots the KR amps' input sensitivity (1v) is no doubt a contributing factor.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Thanks guys - some really great input - keep them coming!

One area of consideration for me would be amps that throw off very little heat.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
They are killer...I'm in the early stages of working on my 'end of life' amplifier. I would also contact Thomas Mayer who builds bespoke amps.

Care to elaborate a little more - yes Thomas Mayer's amps appear to have allot of positive happy owners and chatting with a few have conveyed they really don't throw off any noticable heat

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Thrax Spartacus would be worth considering. Great review in UK mag HiFi Critic. It got their highest rating ever!

The fit and finish on these is top notch - I think they may offer just too much power because my speakers would only use the first few watts. Do these throw off much heat?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I'm biased towards the ML3 as well. The KRs as Keith said are also an alternative. That we have them in the same stable doesn't mean that they sound alike but rather they have presentations that we partners could very happily live with long term. We've found extremely good synergy between the two as well. The L2 reference's detail filigree and instrumental delineation match extremely well with the DX2's texture and richness. That the lowish .75 output voltage sweetspots the KR amps' input sensitivity (1v) is no doubt a contributing factor.

Thanks Jack - did you get my PM in relation to reaching out to member MadFloyd who owns the Magico M project speakers - interested in my Vac mono blocks but looking for some feedback and thought because you have heard your brothers could offer some insight.

Ya as mentioned too Steve the ML3's just need allot of real estate so I would really need to take this into consideration and just not sure.

KR's very interesting indeed but those large 1610 tubes just throw off way too much heat and I would prefer other options which don't.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I must have missed that one DEV. I'd gladly respond to a PM from Ian.

Anybody hear Lampi's GM70?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I was very impressed with Thomas Woschnicks amps when I heard them in Munich, they really were extraordinarily good, we had been listening to really expensive valves all week, when we swopped the improvement was formidable.
Shame they are not available in Europe.
Keith.

Hi Keith do you know which model "wattage" they were - what speakers were they with.

When I was at the RMAF Show last year I got to hear TW-Acustic’s 45 & 6B4G SE mono blocks but not the 300B's. A member on another site just received his "8 watts" said they really throw off no heat and reporting positive SQ. In conversation with Jeff C he has highly recommended Tron Telstar GT $70K and secondly these TW 300B mono blocks $18K, substantial cost difference.

I know it's expected for him to promote what he sells but he does have allot of first hand experience, exposure using numerous manufactures with the same Horning's I have - what I heard at the show was by far my favorite. Was just missing the drive - energy and bass for me otherwise marvelous.

TW 300B 8 watt mono blocks - very simple and clean looking appearance

1434292884[1].jpg

20141011_132159.jpg

Pic's with TW-Acustic’s 45 & 6B4G SE mono blocks

20141011_132048.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm curious to hear Absolare's products. They certainly look good.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Dev,

Are you looking for commercially available products or custom builds? Also how low are you willing to go? I run my Tannoy Glenairs with either 2.5 or 4 watts in a large room.

Besides one's already mentioned I'd look at these. I've heard or have examples from all of these recently;

Emia
OMA
AprilSound
Tron
Thoress
Wavelength Audio
Miyajima (an OTL)

Now others that I haven't heard lately;

Triode Audio
Shindo
Leben
AudioNote UK
Kondo
Fi
Nagra
Line Magnetic

Non tube options that I have heard and like;

Acoustic Plan
DNM

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing