JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hats off to you Wayne :)

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
What a fabulous set of postings Wayne. My sincere congratulations. When I was younger, I made all my own cables. If I had your notes to guide me, I would have saved some valuable time learning the do's and don'ts. The problem, as I see it, is that the audience that your notes would almost certainly benefit, namely, the do-it-yourselfers, are fading fast as it was the older generation of audiophiles who grew up in the days of high end audio when cost saving would really prompt us to do things such as make our own cables to go up against the best of what was out there. Unfortunately, the only thing the younger generation of DIY's would now consider, is learning how to make pressing the buttons on their iPods easier. Sadly, time has mostly passed by the audiophile generation that would have most benefited from the advice you gave. However, I hope your notes do indeed provide useful guidance for some audiophiles out there, regardless of age.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
more & more gear is using surface-mounted technology, soldering skills are not used in the field nearly as much from my perspective ... boards don't even get diagnosed anymore, they're simply replaced.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
In audio electronics, through-hole still rules due to the nature of many power components that don't come in surface mount. Learning to solder is a useful skill regardless.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Wayne, what solder iron tip size and shape do your recommend for a plate resistor when an output tube arcs? IE: CAT, ARC ... amps :D

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Wonderful article! it must have taken a long time.
Two quick thought:
1] Normal everyday RCA connectors (25 Ohmish) should be good up to 100 MHz or more.
2] With connectors that have shield setscrews like the Dayton Super RCA. Don't solder-tin the shield under the setscrew. What will happen is the solder will cold flow and the screw will loosen.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just went through this excellent guide on making audio cables.

Soldering is technique and an art - each artisan has its way of doing it. I learned how to solder from an old technician who used to build cables, electronics and wire chambers at CERN in the 70's.

He did it in a different way - I still keep his five basic rules: 1. Solder adhesion should give electrical conductibility, not mechanical support, the objects should be self supported without solder. 2. Extreme cleanness and tidiness of the two objects being soldered and the soldering tip. 3. Absolute mechanical stability during the soldering time and cooling - he used two mini-vices to keep the wire and plug in place . 4. The soldering iron should contact the three objects - wire, plug and solder - simultaneously for the soldering time. Pre-tinning was not allowed and we had to carry the soldering in one time, if re-soldering was needed we put some new flux! 5. High quality solder with a good flux - solder should flow almost like water, wetting the elements perfectly and stay bright and nice looking!

For a good soldering the iron should have power enough - 50W minimum with fast thermostatic control - you need a constant temperature with a good capacity of supplying heat. I got an Weller - curiously most time we see articles on visits to cable manufacturers we see the Weller's on the benches!

My worst experience - trying soldering Cello cables Litz wire without the proper tools. Even the thick outer braid is made with enameled wire!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
That was an absolutely fantastic tutorial on cables, connectors and soldering!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
On soldering irons/stations, Weller's time has come and gone. The new "standard" among hobbyists is the Japanese brand, Hakko with this model (FX-888D) being most popular now:

It is a joy to use despite its funny looks. My equiv. Weller has already failed with rusted PC board and bad main IC. They really cheapened the brand in later years.

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
and if you're doing your soldering in anything but a VERY well ventilated environment, or outdoors, especially if using solder containing lead, one should use a fume extractor, like this one from Hakko -
hakko fume extracter.jpg

I taught a lab course to Seniors majoring in EE at Brooklyn Polytechnic (now part of NYU) a few years ago, and in their windowless, poorly ventilated lab spaces, not a single fume extractor was to be found....

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014

For the rare occasions that I do any board work, I have a small 10-watt iron with a small, thin tip. Weller of course. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
After reading your tutorial, I ordered ALL my welding supplies from Amazon. I bought a Weller WES51 and a set of Weller tips.

What temperature do you recommend for board work?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Wayne,

Effusive thanks! :cool:

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
On soldering irons/stations, Weller's time has come and gone. The new "standard" among hobbyists is the Japanese brand, Hakko with this model (FX-888D) being most popular now:

It is a joy to use despite its funny looks. My equiv. Weller has already failed with rusted PC board and bad main IC. They really cheapened the brand in later years.

I've been using one of these, Amir:

Hakko.jpg

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
and if you're doing your soldering in anything but a VERY well ventilated environment, or outdoors, especially if using solder containing lead, one should use a fume extractor, like this one from Hakko -
View attachment 21832

I taught a lab course to Seniors majoring in EE at Brooklyn Polytechnic (now part of NYU) a few years ago, and in their windowless, poorly ventilated lab spaces, not a single fume extractor was to be found....

I need one of these! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing