help with air compressors please

DrDenby

Jun 13, 2015
Hi, everyone.

I need some help.

Lately, I have been wanting an air compressor for use at home.

I have a problem now with sensory overload.

I need a "for dummies" explanation of

the kinds (pancake, hot dog, etc) and advantages/disadvantages

oiled vs oil less (ads/disads)

how to decide how many gallons I need

how to decide how much psi I need

I would probably best describe my needs as "light duty" .. would like air wrenches, air chucks, blow guns, general purpose nail gun

Thanks,

Doc

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I will take a shot and then make a recommendation.

1. Orientation. If you need to take it to job site, then the pancake, hot dog, etc. are the ones to use. They are portable. If you are going to put it in a shop and just use it, then I prefer the vertical ones because they take up less space.

2. Oiled vs oil-less. Oiled ones supposed to last longer due to lubrication. Problem is that the spit out some of that oil into the line that can contaminate some tools (e.g. paint sprayers). So you need an in-line filter. They are also supposed to be quieter. Oil-less ones are the opposite of these (again, in theory).

3. The tools you use determine the minimum capability of the compressor you need. Each tool will have the PSI it needs but importantly, CFM, i.e. amount of air flow. You need to look that up for each tool and find the one that requires the most. Getting the PSI to be right is easy. The air flow is not. For some tools, you will need giant compressors. Nail guns run anything. For small blow guns that blow air, if it is for short periods, then again, anything works. But if you will be blowing more than 15 to 20 seconds, you need a compression with giant tank. Air wrenches can also require a lot of air depending on what they are. A rachet is probably fine. A sander, different story.

My use is woodworking. And requirement I have is for the unit to be quiet. Apparently some clever dude in China has managed to build an ultra-quiet compression that now everyone markets under their name. I bought it from the original company that imported it: http://www.amazon.com/California-Ai...34206735&sr=8-1&keywords=california+air+tools

It is oil-free but extremely quiet. It just purrs quietly. I have had "quiet" compressors before but this one is in an entirely different class. As you see, it has near perfect reviews from 102 people on Amazon. The unit is vertical and small. It is a delight to use. For everyday shop work, it has more capacity than the pancake, hotdog, etc., while being quieter than them.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
With 30 years in the automotive industry and a wood shop at home just do this, wire the 220 volt, and be done with it. While I really like Amirs example, the CFM is to low to do any good for anything for very long.

4YW09_AS01.jpg

It does not have to be this brand, its just and example. Lowes and Home Depot have the same style for hundreds less.

If you plan operating ANY air tools for more that 5 to 10 seconds at a time, waiting for the compressor to cycle is a pain in the butt.

The pancake and hot dogs will drive you insane with the noise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing