Best Ice Cream Recipes

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
At the request of FrantzM on another thread..... a Blueberry (or almost any berry) ice cream recipe.

Basic ice cream custard:

2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup non-homogenized milk
3 jumbo egg yolks (or 4 large ones)
1/2 cup unbleached raw sugar

Blend the above together into a large heavy sauce pot (preferably copper clad stainless steel). You want at least a sauce pot with very thick aluminum because it is important not to scald or have hot spots for the smoothest custard. Raw sugar is important for the texture - sweeteners just don't make it. Corn syrup makes for the best texture, but I don't like the taste of corn syrup. Agave syrup does not work. I have not tried stevia, but I suspect that it would not work either.

Over low-medium heat, stir constantly with a bamboo spoon until it begins to thicken (around 150 deg F, 65 deg C). Lower the heat and keep stirring until it thickens to be able to cover the back of the spoon. I haven't measured when it does that, but it does require a bit of patience. Do not use too high a heat or you run the risk of curdling the custard. The faster way of doing it is to boil the milk/cream, and coddle the egg yolks in but I find that the texture is not as good.

Once it is done, take it off the heat, continue stirring and let it cool. Cover with cling wrap, cut a few holes in it to let any steam out and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight if possible.

Into that basic ice cream custard, you can put various fruit. My favourite is blueberries in season.

2 cups blueberries
1 cup raw sugar
juice of 1 organic lemon

Cook in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the blueberries are soft and have released their juices. Crush the berries using a potato masher or large fork. While the juices are simmering, use a micro-plane and zest the lemon you just squeezed. Take off heat, pour the syrup into a blender and blend until smooth. Chill at least 3 hours or overnight.

When both the custard and the fruit syrup are chilled, mix both into an ice cream maker and churn. I like to throw in a handful of dark chocolate chips towards the end of the churn to get blueberry chocolate chip ice cream. You can also put in a couple of tablespoons of Cointreau or Grand Marnier right at the end for an even more luscious ice cream.

Dig in with a spoon and eat right out of the ice cream maker :D

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is the ice cream maker we use. It's made of plastic, it is really cheap, but it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KYSLMW

However, chill it for twice as long as the instructions tell you. And if you make a whole quart, it will overflow.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That is the one I have .. Indeed you can't maeaquart with it !! It does work though. I am thinking about a better one

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Both of my sons have this unit and swear by it. They cannot stress enough the colder the initial chilling the better!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I'm reminded of a bud years ago made blueberry but did not crush the berries. 'twas like a mouthful of small marbles! :)

abdraffay

Jul 19, 2015
At the request of FrantzM on another thread..... a Blueberry (or almost any berry) ice cream recipe.

Basic ice cream custard:

2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup non-homogenized milk
3 jumbo egg yolks (or 4 large ones)
1/2 cup unbleached raw sugar

Blend the above together into a large heavy sauce pot (preferably copper clad stainless steel). You want at least a sauce pot with very thick aluminum because it is important not to scald or have hot spots for the smoothest custard. Raw sugar is important for the texture - sweeteners just don't make it. Corn syrup makes for the best texture, but I don't like the taste of corn syrup. Agave syrup does not work. I have not tried stevia, but I suspect that it would not work either.

Over low-medium heat, stir constantly with a bamboo spoon until it begins to thicken (around 150 deg F, 65 deg C). Lower the heat and keep stirring until it thickens to be able to cover the back of the spoon. I haven't measured when it does that, but it does require a bit of patience. Do not use too high a heat or you run the risk of curdling the custard. The faster way of doing it is to boil the milk/cream, and coddle the egg yolks in but I find that the texture is not as good.

Once it is done, take it off the heat, continue stirring and let it cool. Cover with cling wrap, cut a few holes in it to let any steam out and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight if possible.

Into that basic ice cream custard, you can put various fruit. My favourite is blueberries in season.

2 cups blueberries
1 cup raw sugar
juice of 1 organic lemon

Cook in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the blueberries are soft and have released their juices. Crush the berries using a potato masher or large fork. While the juices are simmering, use a micro-plane and zest the lemon you just squeezed. Take off heat, pour the syrup into a blender and blend until smooth. Chill at least 3 hours or overnight.

When both the custard and the fruit syrup are chilled, mix both into an ice cream maker and churn. I like to throw in a handful of dark chocolate chips towards the end of the churn to get blueberry chocolate chip ice cream. You can also put in a couple of tablespoons of Cointreau or Grand Marnier right at the end for an even more luscious ice cream.

Dig in with a spoon and eat right out of the ice cream maker :D

Hi,
thanks for sharing, i have been trying to make creamy traditional ice cream for sometime now. i have a few basic questions if you don't mind answering:
1. what is non-homogenized milk (if it is raw milk then don't you risk chances of disease)
2. is it safe to use eggs when you are only heating it gently
Cheers,
abdraffay.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Non-homogenized milk is not raw milk. All raw milk is non-homogenized, but non-homogenized milk can also be pasteurized.

Homogenization is a mechanical process that breaks up the natural fat globules in milk so that they distribute better in the liquid and doesn't float to the top. With the process, the resulting ice cream does not have the great mouth-feel of non-homogenized milk.

Eggs have natural anti-bacterial property in the egg white protein. So, using eggs when heating it gently is generally safe.

HOWEVER, in the US, eggs are washed. This removes the protective coating of the shell hence there is a small possibility that sufficient salmonella get into the eggs to swamp the natural anti-bacterial activity. In Europe, many countries prohibit washing eggs prior to sale, so those eggs are safer. I try to buy un-washed eggs from the egg lady at the local farmer's market.

abdraffay

Jul 19, 2015
Non-homogenized milk is not raw milk. All raw milk is non-homogenized, but non-homogenized milk can also be pasteurized.

Homogenization is a mechanical process that breaks up the natural fat globules in milk so that they distribute better in the liquid and doesn't float to the top. With the process, the resulting ice cream does not have the great mouth-feel of non-homogenized milk.

Eggs have natural anti-bacterial property in the egg white protein. So, using eggs when heating it gently is generally safe.

HOWEVER, in the US, eggs are washed. This removes the protective coating of the shell hence there is a small possibility that sufficient salmonella get into the eggs to swamp the natural anti-bacterial activity. In Europe, many countries prohibit washing eggs prior to sale, so those eggs are safer. I try to buy un-washed eggs from the egg lady at the local farmer's market.

Thank you for explaining in detail, I have a few followup questions. I am trying to make home made ice cream but as close to natural/ authentic as possible to get the best flavor. So if I don't boil (homogenize) the milk then can you explain how can I pasteurize (can it be done at a small scale like at home). Or, does it require sophisticated machines.

Another quick question, you said there is protective coating on the egg shell and if washed it will be removed and can run the risk of the germs entering the egg. So do you mean the germs are on the shell? Also here in Pakistan the egg producers do not care about cleanliness and mostly the eggs are covered in hen poop. is it ok to wipe it clean with a moist cloth.
cheers
abdraffay.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thank you for explaining in detail, I have a few followup questions. I am trying to make home made ice cream but as close to natural/ authentic as possible to get the best flavor. So if I don't boil (homogenize) the milk then can you explain how can I pasteurize (can it be done at a small scale like at home). Or, does it require sophisticated machines.

Another quick question, you said there is protective coating on the egg shell and if washed it will be removed and can run the risk of the germs entering the egg. So do you mean the germs are on the shell? Also here in Pakistan the egg producers do not care about cleanliness and mostly the eggs are covered in hen poop. is it ok to wipe it clean with a moist cloth.
cheers
abdraffay.

Hi

Boiling raw milk will not homogenize it. You can safely boil your milk to kill of many if not all the micro-organisms. Go with a clean moist cloth to remove the "things'. I have access to very natural eggs as well and this is what I do ... i also use Raw milk when I can ...

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

cheers
abdraffay.

Boiling the milk will pasteurize it. You cannot homogenize milk at home.

When I buy eggs from the farmer's market here, it is also covered in hen poop. I leave them until I want to use them, and give the eggs a quick wash under running water before cracking them.

abdraffay

Jul 19, 2015
Great!! So I can boil and be safe.

Just a quick question, when I boil and leave the milk a layer of cream comes at the top. So should I stir and cool so that it does not. Or, should I take the layer off and use the milk to make the ice cream.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing