WBF Poll: Which Sounds Better, Digital or Analog?

Which format sounds best to you: analog or digital

• Analog Sounds Best

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • Digital Sounds Best

Votes: 49 35.3%

• Total voters

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Peter Do you take me as a fool?

Of course I have compared LP to CD on the same recording. A while back many Blue Note Lps were issued with a CD enclosed in the Lp sleeve for comparison.

Many LPs were reissued as CDs and SACDs. You can also buy most all Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo recordings from the 50's and 60's on CD and SACD, and compare.

I find the LP versions generally sound better than the CD versions. But who has mint copies of original classic LPs from the 50's and 60's for fair comparisons?

These "new reissued" old classic analog recordings have been taken from 50+year old tapes, and "cleaned up" using modern techniques, to "try" and recover, the "supposed" magic of the original LP.

However many SACD reissues of classic LPs compare nicely to original LPs and the sonic difference is nil IMO.

These modern reissues are "NOT THE SAME" as the mint original LP, and may sound better or worse, in "certain characteristics" when played back!

As far as "optimizing resources", music collecting is generally much cheaper than "uber expensive" audio playback equipment.

I do not want it all, however I want to get "some" of it all!

I do not believe that "optimizing resources" is a concern with most people on this site.

The "whats best" and "whats second best" obsession on this site borders on CRAZY!

Each person must search for there own "Musical Ecstasy".

Time is too short to get wrapped up in stupid debates on the internet.

Chill out, and spend your time listening and exploring music!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing