Bernard Haitink and other concerts

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Watching him conduct Mahler 1 this Sunday and then Big B's 9th the following Sunday.

Trying to get Sibelius Violin Concerto tickets the Sunday after that (not Haitink), but sold out.

La Traviata at Royal Opera House tomorrow. Follows Rachmaninov Symphonic dances last Sunday and Stravinsky's Firebird Suite before that.

Will have to take the Harmon test somewhere in between. We Indians always approach everything as if we are taking some sort of competitive exam :p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You were fortunate to have seen him.

Yes I saw him conduct Bruckner 7 at both Barbican and concertgebouw. It is the only Bruckner I loved live. His Beethoven 9 along with MTT's were the two best I saw much superior to Rattle at the same venue with the same orchestra.

After the Beethoven 9 I was walking back to the station and walked with a lady cellist who has been performing there for decades. She said Haitink was her favorite conductor

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Yes I saw him conduct Bruckner 7 at both Barbican and concertgebouw. It is the only Bruckner I loved live. His Beethoven 9 along with MLTls were the two best I saw much superior to Rattle at the same venue with the same orchestra.

That is a cool andecdote. Look for someone with an instrument case after the show and strike up a conversation. I've done that here with our small town orchestra.

MLTIs - ?? edit: ah, what I thought Michael Tilson Thomas

The Mahler 2 that I mentioned in the other thread is a somewhat unique interpretation, at least to me. I wrote on my Mahler thread three years ago:

As an evocative performance and truly natural sounding recording as I've heard from a Mahler 2 - it makes some of the modern performances sound antiseptic. Released in 1969, Concertgebouw Orchestra and Netherlands Rundfunkchoir.

Wonderfully natural integration of the choristers and soloists with the orchestra -they have their parts but are not spotlit and truly blend well. Elly Ameling gives a heartfelt rendition. The performance is measured almost stately which at first seemed stilted but eventually I caught on to Haitink's plan. I found the final movement quite emotional and natural. Highly recommended.

He did full cycles of Mahler, Shosty and Bruckner. No doubt there are others. Of the latter I only have Haitink's Bruckner 3. There is a nice box set from Philips (6717 002 ) but euro shipping is crazy cost - I have too many records and must be selective.

I will look for Haitink's Bruckner 7.

Bruckner 7 Haitink Concertgebouw Philps 6833 253.jpg

Abbado last decade, now Haitink. Makes sad at their passings but their performances cheer me up.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That is a cool andecdote. Look for someone with an instrument case after the show and strike up a conversation. I've done that here with our small town orchestra.

MLTIs - ?? edit: ah, what I thought Michael Tilson Thomas

The Mahler 2 that I mentioned in the other thread is a somewhat unique interpretation, at least to me. I wrote on my Mahler thread three years ago:

As an evocative performance and truly natural sounding recording as I've heard from a Mahler 2 - it makes some of the modern performances sound antiseptic. Released in 1969, Concertgebouw Orchestra and Netherlands Rundfunkchoir.

Wonderfully natural integration of the choristers and soloists with the orchestra -they have their parts but are not spotlit and truly blend well. Elly Ameling gives a heartfelt rendition. The performance is measured almost stately which at first seemed stilted but eventually I caught on to Haitink's plan. I found the final movement quite emotional and natural. Highly recommended.

He did full cycles of Mahler, Shosty and Bruckner. No doubt there are others. Of the latter I only have Haitink's Bruckner 3. There is a nice box set from Philips (6717 002 ) but euro shipping is crazy cost - I have too many records and must be selective.

I will look for Haitink's Bruckner 7.

View attachment 82998

Abbado last decade, now Haitink. Makes sad at their passings but their performances cheer me up.

I don't know how the Bruckner 7 recording is. Live and recorded can be huge difference.

He used to rest after every movement, was really old.

I also watched him conduct Emperor with Emmanuel Ax at the Barbican, and Mahler 1, 4, and iirc Brahms piano. Concerto 2.

Reactions: tima

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Last edited:

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
The Brahms piano concerti with Arrau are, imo, a landmark.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't know how the Bruckner 7 recording is. Live and recorded can be huge difference.

He used to rest after every movement, was really old.

I also watched him conduct Emperor with Emmanuel Ax at the Barbican, and Mahler 1, 4, and iirc Brahms piano. Concerto 2.

Forgot, there is the special recording of Haitink Bruckner 7

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

To me too. Haitink Mahler 2 is a classical music converter. People will get into classical music once listening this piece. To me it is almost like a rollercoaster ride. Love it. I like to use this piece to start my day at office.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing