Frequency Response Variations of Reel to Reel Tape Decks

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
In a parallel thread while discussing generational losses, I was surprised to hear that going from 15 ips to 30 ips speed, one gains high frequency fidelity but loses low frequency response. I was under the impression from my own experience in 1970s that the higher the speed, the better the response. But that did not extend to 30 ips. At least I don't think my consumer deck supported that???

Anyway, Myles pointed us to a very informative online article where someone had measured the record-playback frequency response of a number of tape decks: http://www.endino.com/graphs/

Indeed the graphs show the low frequency response drooping at 30 ips as this example of Otari MX-80 shows:

The 15 ips is in blue while the 30 ips is in red. The peak in 15 ips in blue is the "head bump." Another thing I did not know :).

These variations which are +- 2 dB or so, would be clearly audible. And at any rate, what I hear is different than what another person would hear as this other example shows:

At the same 70 Hz, we are down 1 db whereas with the Otari, we were up 2 dB.

What I don't know and appreciate more data is how flat is the recording path itself? If one used the MRL test tapes, how would the response change? Would it have its own variations from deck A, combined with my playback machine, Deck B, where the sum is now even worse?

Here is another set of measurements of decks but this time comparing 7.5 to 15 ips. And it even has captured audio samples where the audible difference is quite clear!

http://www.toneboosters.com/reelproject2/

"From these simple examples it is obvious that analog tape recording can cause substantial differences in the audio signal spectrum, even at moderate signal levels that cause little saturation. Moreover, the employed recording unit seems to have a significant effect on the signal spectrum besides the tape speed, and hence a proper tape simulation algorithm should take these effects into account.

The two audio demos below clearly indicate the different character of the two recorders. A drumloop was recorded at the exact same (moderately high) level on both recorders at a tape speed of 7.5 IPS. The Teac A4300SX sounds quite bright, and handles the high signal level with relatively little distortion of the kick drum, while the opposite is true for the Revox A77."

The signature of both decks clearly comes through even though my laptop speakers. So we can digitize and hear the differences there.

The second page of that article talks about how the frequency response variation is level sensitive! http://www.toneboosters.com/reelproject3/

This is at very low speed of 3.75 ips. Someone has to tell me if it holds true at higher speeds too. If it does, it means that tape applies this dynamic EQ to everything it records. The frequency response of the system is modulated by the content itself. Wonder if this is euphonic (desirable) in nature or bad? Anyone know?

The article goes on to actually simulate these artifacts as to emulate the sound of the tape deck! If we can simulate the artifacts perhaps we can also reverse them.

Thinking out loud in the other thread, I mentioned that it would not be hard to make some corrections to uneven response of these machines. There is already analog equalization in the machine to achieve IEC, NAB, and in general flatter frequency response. So it is not like the system by itself is "EQ free."

The weapon of choice here would be a DSP and digital filtering since we can easily create curves with as much resolution and variations as we want to have as opposed to some kind of analog Parametric EQ where noise would be added and controls highly limited. And how knows what it does performance wise relative to distortion, bleeding filters and such.

The thought of applying digital to analog sources is beyond what some can bear. I understand that but that is defending a belief, lacking data. Until such time that we create such a correction, and perform formal listening test, we don't know what we are talking about. The theory of damning it right now is based on digital somehow destroying what is good about analog. I don't prescribe to that. I think the sound that we like in reel to reel is due to specific mastering that was performed for the medium, not because it is analog.

As long as we are prejudging the data we don't yet have :), my intuition is that the variations in frequency response are far more audible than any superiority of analog over digital, should that theory be correct. So there, we are even. :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As I was typing the last post, I recalled a neat technology called Plangent, to remove WoW and Flutter from tape decks. Bruce created nice before and after samples which I was remiss in listening to them :). But others did evaluate it: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?5378-A-Solution-to-Wow-Flutter

I had read their AES paper as I noted there and it is a very neat, modern look at problems of speed in Reel to Reel decks.

Bruce, what is your current opinion of the box? Does it make an improvement? And is my assumption correct that it works in digital domain so the sound goes through A/D and D/A conversion?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
As far as I'm concerned, I the Plangent system is just a solution looking for a problem. Good Studer and Ampex decks of yor, never really had enough wow/flutter to be audible. For me, the Plangent system would be mainly for Prosumer decks or decks where maintenance was less than optimal.
As for the samples that I submitted for correction, the results were either inaudible from the digital file submitted, or less than satisfactory. I used my own converters to digitize the tape. I have not heard the Plangent A/D converters

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Bruce. To your knowledge, has anyone tried to correct the frequency response of tape decks externally?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks Bruce. To your knowledge, has anyone tried to correct the frequency response of tape decks externally?

I use the Doshi external tape pre. It does have limited facilities for EQ, like most decks do to do MRL calibration. Those frequencies are 100, 1k and 10k

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Bruce. I have this "circle of confusion" to borrow a phrase from Dr. Toole with regards to this topic. How good are the MRL tapes and how was that verified? I mean how can we make sure the recording of the test tones is accurate before we worry about playing them?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
You can find out about the MRL QA on their website.
I make my own using an external tone generator and monitor off repro. I say these tapes have a spec of +/-0.2dB

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That is excellent. You once made an offer of loaning me one of those measurement tapes. Is the offer still good so I can do some of this testing? :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
You can find out about the MRL QA on their website.
I make my own using an external tone generator and monitor off repro. I say these tapes have a spec of +/-0.2dB

I use a variety of MRL cal tapes to establish a primary standard for later reference. This is an interesting paper from John/Jay McKnight: http://home.comcast.net/~mrltapes/mcknight_low-frequency-response-calibration.pdf wherein a procedure is described to "Calibrate the 'Calibration Tape'".
It's one of my objectives to do this with Charlie Bolois, whom I should see next week. :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Note final take-up and storage of the cal tapes is important. Eventually they go out of spec, but improper storage can accelerate the process.

Agreed, Don. I purchase fresh cal tapes from MRL. As with any material recorded to analog tape...provenance assuages apprehension. :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Amir:

I feel bad about not getting to your sick Otari still... Sorry for long delays but I will be in town most of July. I will make a visit.

Ki
Oh you should not feel that way at all Ki. I am at your mercy and kindness should you be willing to take a look at it. Just drop me a PM when time allows.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing