Dangerous Analog

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Saw these guys at the show and had a great conversation over a couple of days.
Seems they are new to the Audiophile world and they are offering music direct to tape.
Several vendors at Newport were given samples to play and the feedback was stellar.

Dangerous Analog

Here's what I just happened to snag from them!

Dangerous tape.JPG

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
HOW did I miss this? :eek:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gotta shadow the Brucester Sam!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Ha! I ran into him at the MBL room and gave him a lift back from Philip's soiree. :cool:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
He's a slippery one that Mr. Brown! LOL! He always gets the goodies!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I know. He must go to church a lot. :rolleyes: Haha ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Phil was part of our tape seminar panel at Axpona.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
I am always trying to promote more music on tape.
Phil contacted me early on with his desire to break into the master tape copy sales arena. Lots of discussions took place regarding how to best accomplish this goal.
The plan was to record quality session musicians doing jazz standards direct to R2R using high quality mikes and all, then from there make copies for sale on tape, vinyl and even dare I say it... digital.
Phil's plan is to do some series of tapes with various themes and to offer subscriptions kinda like The Tape Project does but the subscribers get a better price with a subscription.
The first tapes are Jazz but he says they will also do classical recordings.

Bruce can fill us in on his impressions of the sound but from what I have experienced the people that heard the tapes (he had two tapes) liked them and the musicians are first rate.

At The Newport show Phil brought some customers to the MBL room to listen and Phil says they all bought the tape, I believe he said he sold $2200 or so worth of tapes at the show.
Based on that response he stated to me that he believes that the business model will be viable and sustainable for the future.

Also watch for the Dangerous Analog ad in the next Absolute Sound, I got Jim Hannon the publisher to put all us tape guys on one page in the magazine. We now have three "tape folk" advertising with a 1/4 page ad each, just one more and we will have a full page in the magazine.
Tape is growing and I have to say that tape machines are selling very well.
This is a good example for companies on the fence and waiting to see some progress in tape copy sales, it's time to go for it!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Phil contacted me early on with his desire to break into the master tape copy sales arena. Lots of discussions took place regarding how to best accomplish this goal.
The plan was to record quality session musicians doing jazz standards direct to R2R using high quality mikes and all, then from there make copies for sale on tape, vinyl and even dare I say it... digital.
Phil's plan is to do some series of tapes with various themes and to offer subscriptions kinda like The Tape Project does but the subscribers get a better price with a subscription.

Bruce can fill us in on his impressions of the sound but from what I have experienced the people that heard the tapes (he had two tapes) liked them and the musicians are first rate.

At The Newport show Phil brought some customers to the MBL room to listen and Phil says they all bought the tape, I believe he said he sold $2200 or so worth of tapes at the show.
Based on that response he stated to me that he believes that the business model will be viable and sustainable for the future.

Also watch for the Dangerous Analog ad in the next Absolute Sound, I got Jim Hannon the publisher to put all us tape guys on one page in the magazine. We now have three "tape folk" advertising with a 1/4 page ad each, just one more and we will have a full page in the magazine.
This is a good example for companies on the fence and waiting to see some progress in tape copy sales, it's time to go for it!

Phil played his tape in your room at Axpona and it sounded very good.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010

Bravo, Greg! BTW, my sonic impression of your room with Bruce's tape was very favorable. :cool:

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Phil played his tape in your room at Axpona and it sounded very good.

Hey Myles,
I could not recall if you had the chance to listen to the Dangerous Analog tapes at Axpona, sometimes all these shows become a blur.
But great that you heard it, a listen is worth a thousand words.
Not trying to put work on you, or put you on the spot, but maybe Phil should send you some tapes for review?

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Bravo, Greg! BTW, my sonic impression of your room with Bruce's tape was very favorable. :cool:

Hi Sam,
Always a pleasure to see you, thanks for stopping by and for the kind words!

I am fortunate that a number of folks will allow me to borrow many great tapes for demo at the shows, many thanks to you all.

People have also been bringing their tapes to the shows and will ask me to play them.
I've never heard these tapes prior to playing them at the show, however I want to encourage people to get on the tape bandwagon and if playing their tapes at shows gives them some involvement, great.
Yes sometimes you get a less than perfect sounding tape so typically if I get a stinker (and you hear something you don't like, don't worry it will be over soon) just wait for the next tape and I will make a point to play a tape I know sounds great.
Hey, it's a show and the more you can involve people in the music and the tape movement the better.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hey Myles,
I could not recall if you had the chance to listen to the Dangerous Analog tapes at Axpona, sometimes all these shows become a blur.
Not trying to put work on you, or put you on the spot, but maybe Phil should send you some tapes for review?

I recently wrote Phil and will order some off the web site. Seems he is just waiting for the art work. Also, they will as I suggested, have a sampler tape for sale.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hey Myles,

I think Phil brought the tape by your room after the tape seminar on Sunday PM.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I got there on Sunday and was in the third row in the center as you were playing Willie Nelson on your tape machine. It was superb and then to have a gentleman sitting in the sweet spot stand up and introduce himself as Michael Jackson's drummer made my day. Great sound Greg. Well done by all. I was so into the music I didn't realize until the end of the song that Bruce was sitting beside me.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Sam,
Always a pleasure to see you, thanks for stopping by and for the kind words!

I am fortunate that a number of folks will allow me to borrow many great tapes for demo at the shows, many thanks to you all.

People have also been bringing their tapes to the shows and will ask me to play them.
I've never heard these tapes prior to playing them at the show, however I want to encourage people to get on the tape bandwagon and if playing their tapes at shows gives them some involvement, great.
Yes sometimes you get a less than perfect sounding tape so typically if I get a stinker (and you hear something you don't like, don't worry it will be over soon) just wait for the next tape and I will make a point to play a tape I know sounds great.
Hey, it's a show and the more you can involve people in the music and the tape movement the better.

Terrific philosophy and inviting approach to those already immersed or considering analog reel-to-reel tape.
The UHA tape deck acquitted itself, admirably. :D

Jun 10, 2015
Thanks to all for your kind words and support. We had a lot of fun at T.H.E. Show and Axpona. We are looking forward to seeing all of you guys again - hopefully in Denver. As Bruce said, we are new to this scene and need your feedback. We hope to have an open dialogue with our customers so that we can be responsive to their desires, needs, and expectations. To that end, we will have additional samples of the recordings on the website soon as well as more info regarding the players on Jazz Masters Vol. 1 & 2.

I called Greg earlier this year about this idea and our business model. He has been kind enough to help guide us into this world. Our goal now is to get our customers' feedback. Our first release was made as a good faith effort to show our potential consumers that we have an outstanding product and that we are committed to making this label work for everyone. I have heard the history surrounding the birth of the 1/4" tape revival and have assessed the current market. Suffice to say, that we look to learn from our own mistakes and success as well as those of others. As a result, we have recorded the first two Volumes of our Jazz Masters Series at our own expense so that we can deliver product immediately. The first release, Jazz Masters Volume 1&2, will start shipping next week. All of the artwork (i.e., case sticker & insert) will be in our hands by the end of this week. We had Peter Doell from Universal Mastering come by the studio a couple days ago to perform the final checks on the 1/2" playback and 1/4" dubbing decks. Everything is spot on with the machines so we are ready to roll on the audio side.

We truly appreciate everything that Greg, Mbl, and Myles have done for us. Our first few customers deserve a special thank you because of their willingness to take a chance on us. Bruce will forever be our first customer and we are more than pleased to have his support! Please reach out to me directly or visit our website if you have any questions. www.dangerousanalog.com

Warm Regards,

Phil Blackman
CEO, Dangerous Analog, LLC

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Personally I applaud Phil Blackman's foresight and chutzpah to jump into the music on master tape copy sales arena.

I have bugged everyone out there to put music on tape, Chad runs the other way when he sees me coming, (and he is even a south Louisiana brother and fellow Saints fan).
So when Phil called saying he wanted to record great musicians on tape and sell the master tape copies I was all ears.
The thing that impressed me was that Phil had years of real life experience in the music business and he knew lots of important people that could assist.
Phil seems to be starting out the right way and should be a model for all small recording companies that want to make a big splash in a small pond, fact is the "tape movement" would be better off if we had 20 more companies doing just what Dangerous Analog is doing!

Yes tape decks are selling, but we need more music on tape to garner more gravity from the audiophile community!
I will be playing Phil's tapes at the shows, so if you want to hear them please stop by.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing