Windows 10 ?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Windows is perhaps the best example we have of the failure of our anti-trust laws. This kind of market success in the face of such gross incompetence can only exist within a near monopoly. If there were strong commercial alternatives to MS, which can't seem to release two functioning versions of their OS in a row, Windows would have slipped into a merciful death years ago.

Tim

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
My wife has an iPhone due to her lack of skill in operating a mobile phone

As an Apple user, this makes me smile -- Android is an OS that requires skill :)

I'd move from highly annoyed to pissed if the alerts didn't go away after I reserved a copy. It's an invasion of personal space.

This all said, my impression is that the new CEO of MS is a huge improvement -- he gets it as the cliche goes and I'd expect 10 to be solid from a user standpoint.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Is Win10 being assessed here from a general OS PoV or as an "audiophile" OS for best musical playback potential?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
No. Being a multi-national product, the number 9 is avoided in naming because in Japanese, "ku" has a very negative connotation (suffering, etc.).

Before Apple had OS X they had OS 9 and that did just fine. I can't believe there are people in the world today who could be so [insert your own polite adjective for superstitious or ignorant] that could think that way about a computer OS.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Windows is perhaps the best example we have of the failure of our anti-trust laws. This kind of market success in the face of such gross incompetence can only exist within a near monopoly. If there were strong commercial alternatives to MS, which can't seem to release two functioning versions of their OS in a row, Windows would have slipped into a merciful death years ago.

Tim
Well, we have replaced that one monopoly with duopoly of Apple and Android now. Both have conduct that is far worse than Microsoft in many cases. There is not a sin that Microsoft performed that is not replicated in Android and then some. My phone right now keeps pestering me with notifications I can't turn off for me to log into gmail. But wait, I am logged into gmail. That is what the message says. But once I open that notification, it is telling me to do that so that it can log me into Google Photos. And there is no dismiss button! Can you say "tie-in?" I knew you could.

Today if I want to set up shop to sell movies, and make an app for Android or iOS, each one wants 30% cut of my business. I can build the same app, put it on Windows and not pay a dime. I can't tell you how many business models are neutered that way based on the precedence Apple set here which Google then copied.

And where Android deviates from Microsoft practices, it winds up screwing thing up. Microsoft would not let you change the Start menu for example. Android does so we have every phone working differently.

I could go on and on but trust me, what these two guys are doing is not remotely better than Microsoft. Worst yet, because they are both strong competitors, little can be done from anti-trust point of view "because there is competition." Neither has vast majority market share. Yet, within their verticals, they are monopolists. You for example, as a loyal user of Apple products, are locked into Apple conduct. So in that case, you have a monopoly situation. That Android exist, it provides no competition as to ease the strong arm tactics of Apple. They know you want their product and won't switch platforms, so they can choose to not let X, Y or Z app to exist in their store based on what they like to see, not you.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Before Apple had OS X they had OS 9 and that did just fine. I can't believe there are people in the world today who could be so [insert your own polite adjective for superstitious or ignorant] that could think that way about a computer OS.
This is a two-way sword. Should a foreign company be so insensitive to our values as to create a logo for their product that is the middle finger if such a thing as a positive meaning in their culture?

The concerns around numbering is quite strong. I have worked with the Japanese in consortiums and they routinely practice such. Japan is the #3 market for Microsoft (or something like it) so they act sensitively there. I don't know what share Apple had in Japan when OS 9 came out. Likely much smaller than their US share relative to Microsoft's.

Political correctness unfortunately is a serious matter. I recall Microsoft country manager in China getting rounded up and taken to jail because a clip art in Office had a flag of Taiwan or some such thing. They demanded deletion of said graphic until they let him go. Of course they did let him go and the move was political in nature but where possible big companies have to play along.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is Win10 being assessed here from a general OS PoV or as an "audiophile" OS for best musical playback potential?
No, the discussion is for its use as a general computing platform. Would be interesting to see if there are components that related to audio playback also.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Amir,

On CA and other places it is being discussed for SQ. Apparently, the DLLs in Win10 talk to each other like Nano-bots and so respect prioritization in an active manner, leading to "out the box" very good SQ BEFORE professional audio optimization. This is attributed mainly to the "intelligent" DLLs.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

On CA and other places it is being discussed for SQ. Apparently, the DLLs in Win10 talk to each other like Nano-bots and so respect prioritization in an active manner, leading to "out the box" very good SQ BEFORE professional audio optimization. This is attributed mainly to the "intelligent" DLLs.
I did some searching both on CA and general Internet and can't find out what this is about. I did find a lot of praise for Windows 10 on CA but not the specifics. Is there a link where they talk about what is different they think here?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I will have to search too. A lot has been spoken to me over the phone.

Search for posts be lmitchie, euro driver, Audiophil and Geoff armstrong and some italian guys.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Since first installing Windows 10 there have been a number of updates which have all gone smoothly.
Tonight, however, what appears to have been a big update of Windows 10 Home Version, updates 1511 and 10586. Took about 2 hours to complete but otherwise has gone smoothly.
Anybody else had the same?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm sticking with 8.1 with my current laptop until it needs to be replaced. The Win10 risk is not worth it to me to chance it with issues on some of my older programs like Outlook 2003...lol

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I recently ordered a high powered Windows laptop to run imaging software in my office and was thrilled when I was able to have it run WINDOWS 7.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I just upgraded my HP i7 laptop to Win10 and had to go back to Win7. The computer's fan would stay on high all the time and the touch-pad would lock up for a few seconds very frequently, both of which are unacceptable.

EDIT: I have been running a clean install of WIn10 on my mini fanless HTPC for months now with no issues and it's processor is newer but much less powerful vs my i7 laptop.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm updating my Win 10 on a Dell i7 laptop as I type.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Lol, good luck! Going back to Win7 was easy if it doesn't work out for you.

I've had no issues with the original Win 10 install, and I don't think I'll have any with this update either. It's a bit slow in updating, but I'm doing it thru WiFi. I've not had the fan issue you've commented on. I don't use the touchpad and have a wireless mouse instead.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing