Apr 20, 2010
New York City
deleted

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Myles. One question though: what is 2½ generation? I thought these went in integer numbers, not fractional :). Trust the master was second gen. How did the half get accomplished? Is it recorded at faster IPS?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I have the Tape Project TP-023 Lee Morgan 'Sidewinder' in 1/2" 15ips.

it's very good.

I also have 3 other Series 3 titles in 1/2".

Were TP's masters @ 15 in/s and not 30 in/s?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
^^^ Hey, Myles -- whazzup? :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Were TP's masters @ 15 in/s and not 30 in/s?

hi Sam,

I don't know about the specific masters and 30ips. as far as I know it's all 15ips. and I think the 1" working masters are always 15ips. that makes sense when you think about making multiple copies over time. I'm sure for the right amount of money Paul and Dan would be glad to do 30ips when the original is 30ips, assuming their license allows it.

I'm a bigger believer in 1/2" than 30ips. 30ips has a different EQ and the reel times are minimal. that said I've heard some killer 30ips.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Does it mean 1" master to 1" copy = 1/2 generation,

1" master to 1/2" copy - 1 generation,

and 1" master to 1" copy to 1/2" copy = 1 1/2 generation?

Does the speed 30ips vs 15ips make a difference?

the whole '1/2 generation loss' concept is only a context in comparison of what the generation loss might be typically for 1/4" to 1/4". so the 1" advantage is 'in theory' halving the normal generation losses. I've personally done a few 1/4" to 1/2" dubs and those (on my pair of A-820's) are really fine. if anything I prefer the 1/2" dub slightly to the original 1/4" about half the time for whatever reason. likely a very slight loss in one respect but added 'weight' and 'authority' from the 1/2" too. the playback at 1/2" is simply sometimes a little better.

if you step up from 15ips to 30ips there would also likely be less loss. not having seen that example I cannot compare the two speeds as far as where that would rank. maybe that is a 1/4 less loss? I'm just speculating there. 30ips masters typically have more detail, air, and more refined highs and imaging......an increase in articulation compared to 15ips. kinda like 33 verses 45rpm but not quite as big a change. I have limited exposure to 30ips so my viewpoint should only be considered one data point. maybe someone with more experience can put a finer point on it.

likely the quality of the dubbing chain, care in set-up, and tape 'gain' enters into this too. 'hotter' tape formulations can sound better than 'less hot' ones but are don't mate with equally all heads and in theory can deteriorate more quickly. I've not seen that 'theoretical' deterioration but maybe it can be measured.

Last edited:

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Thanks Myles. One question though: what is 2½ generation? I thought these went in integer numbers, not fractional :). Trust the master was second gen. How did the half get accomplished? Is it recorded at faster IPS?

2.5 generations is minimum. Any performance that was originally recorded in 3 or more channels would need to be copied/mixed to a two channel "master". So from beginning to end, there would be 3.5 total tape generations. For the Linda Ronstadt tape, it turned out that the original master was lost, so a safety-copy of the 2-channel mix-down master had to be used. That brought the total generation count up to 4.5. I believe the majority of Tape Project tapes, however, are 2.5 generation.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
the whole '1/2 generation loss' concept is only a context in comparison of what the generation loss might be typically for 1/4" to 1/4". so the 1" advantage is 'in theory' halving the normal generation losses. I've personally done a few 1/4" to 1/2" dubs and those (on my pair of A-820's) are really fine. if anything I prefer the 1/2" dub slightly to the original 1/4" about half the time for whatever reason. likely a very slight loss in one respect but added 'weight' and 'authority' from the 1/2" too. the playback at 1/2" is simply sometimes a little better.

if you step up from 15ips to 30ips there would also likely be less loss. not having seen that example I cannot compare the two speeds as far as where that would rank. maybe that is a 1/4 less loss? I'm just speculating there. 30ips masters typically have more detail, air, and more refined highs and imaging......an increase in articulation compared to 15ips. kinda like 33 verses 45rpm but not quite as big a change. I have limited exposure to 30ips so my viewpoint should only be considered one data point. maybe someone with more experience can put a finer point on it.

likely the quality of the dubbing chain, care in set-up, and tape 'gain' enters into this too. 'hotter' tape formulations can sound better than 'less hot' ones but are don't mate with equally all heads and in theory can deteriorate more quickly. I've not seen that 'theoretical' deterioration but maybe it can be measured.

Thanks, Mike. I'm just slowly learning about this tape stuff......

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
hi Sam,

I don't know about the specific masters and 30ips. as far as I know it's all 15ips. and I think the 1" working masters are always 15ips. that makes sense when you think about making multiple copies over time. I'm sure for the right amount of money Paul and Dan would be glad to do 30ips when the original is 30ips, assuming their license allows it.

I'm a bigger believer in 1/2" than 30ips. 30ips has a different EQ and the reel times are minimal. that said I've heard some killer 30ips.

Hi Mike,

Thanks. Are you using 1.318 heads on your Studers or Greg Orton's heads? All my headstacks are 1.318 Studer heads.
BTW, Dan(?) from ATR was a real gas to talk to in Jonathan's room :) Have you gotten your new DartZeel pre, yet?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Good question. Many "count" a 1/2 generation when the master tape is copied to a 1-inch running master tape as The Tape Project does.

...and they may sound good, but there's no such thing as 1/2 a generation down from the master. If it goes from one piece of tape of exactly the same size to another, at exactly the same speed, that's a generation. It would make more sense to refer to any knock down in speed and density as more than a generation than they other way around, but that wouldn't be very good marketing.

Tim

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
...and they may sound good, but there's no such thing as 1/2 a generation down from the master. Tim

+1, just as in digital, you can't "add" sonics by upsampling. Further, you can't lower the noise floor by going from one tape to the other (unless you used NR).

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
+1, just as in digital, you can't "add" sonics by upsampling. Further, you can't lower the noise floor by going from one tape to the other (unless you used NR).

...and they may sound good, but there's no such thing as 1/2 a generation down from the master. If it goes from one piece of tape of exactly the same size to another, at exactly the same speed, that's a generation. It would make more sense to refer to any knock down in speed and density as more than a generation than they other way around, but that wouldn't be very good marketing.

Tim

+1 >

I was waiting for someone to say that. There is some validity however to making sure that the trnasfer is as transparent as possible. such trnafer can be perfect in digital but we are discussing anlaog tape .. So...

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The problem with 30 ips is of course the head bump and the loss of low frequencies. 15 ips was always as I understand it, the best compromise for the frequency extremes. I think this issue has been discussed previously on WBF.

Is this the case with 45rpm vs 33rpm LPs too? I thought that at 30ips, there is more headroom for both frequency extremes? With a 12" LP, the outside grooves travel at about 21ips on 33rpm vs 28ips on 45rpm. So, at the same frequency, there is lower cutter-head acceleration (and hence stylus acceleration) and this results in better sonics. Why would 30 ips be worse than 15 ips on tape?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Is this the case with 45rpm vs 33rpm LPs too? I thought that at 30ips, there is more headroom for both frequency extremes? With a 12" LP, the outside grooves travel at about 21ips on 33rpm vs 28ips on 45rpm. So, at the same frequency, there is lower cutter-head acceleration (and hence stylus acceleration) and this results in better sonics. Why would 30 ips be worse than 15 ips on tape?

No, actually it has to do with tape speed across the heads vs. head gap length. For the science behind this, just Google Jay McKnight and any of his articles Running tape across the head too fast and you start losing the bottom end, though the top end starts opening up. The best compromise I've heard is a tape speed of 22ips. Instead of the head bump at 15ips and the low end loss at 30ips, seems 22ips is the sweet spot!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I assume you mean the running masters? If so 15 ips.

Hi Myles,

Well, what ever EQ, tape speed, and tape width, TP uses as their 'mother', if you will :)

So, for example, if a flat (not EQ'd for cutting vinyl or running cassettes, etc.), stereo mix master dub arrived to TP that was -- naturally -- AAA (analog tracked - 2 CH or MCH, analog mixed - 2 CH or MCH, and analog mastered to 2 CH), 1/2" @ 30 in/s...I would desire a flat dub to 1/2" using AES EQ.

I wonder if TP had any 30 in/s program material :confused:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wonder what people would think of the sound if a digital EQ was put in there to flatten the curve as much as possible. :eek: :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing