Devialet with Sonja 1.3

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
Hi, I am wondering if any members have experience pairing the D800 with difficult to drive speakers such as the YG Sonja 1.3.

I am looking to upgrade my amps and want to see if the D800 would be a suitable option.

Thank you.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi, I am wondering if any members have experience pairing the D800 with difficult to drive speakers such as the YG Sonja 1.3.

I am looking to upgrade my amps and want to see if the D800 would be a suitable option.

Thank you.

Hi Hammer!

The YG Haileys just got SAM approved, so the YG Sonjas can't be far behind. I don't think the 800s will have problems with it, but it'll depend on how loud you go :)

What amps do you use today?

alex

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
Hi Hammer!

The YG Haileys just got SAM approved, so the YG Sonjas can't be far behind. I don't think the 800s will have problems with it, but it'll depend on how loud you go :)

What amps do you use today?

alex

Thanks. Good point, maybe I will sait for the Sonja's to be SAM'ed before I switch. Currently, I have Bryston 28BSST2's with a AR 5SE preamp. Thinking that the Devialet can replace both or just the amps.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks. Good point, maybe I will sait for the Sonja's to be SAM'ed before I switch. Currently, I have Bryston 28BSST2's with a AR 5SE preamp. Thinking that the Devialet can replace both or just the amps.

That's an option! Or you could try an tryout of the Devialets in your home perhaps?

Are you aware that the Devialet will be a huge change in presentation, in relation to your current setup, right?
Also, you will lose a lot of the functionality of the Devialet if you keep your preamp... So, if Devialet, go all the way :)

Right now I'm listening to my Sonja 1.3 with the D'Agostino integrated amp, and it's amazing! Another option that I keep going back to is the darTZeel CTH-8550 integrated.

alex

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
That's an option! Or you could try an tryout of the Devialets in your home perhaps?

Are you aware that the Devialet will be a huge change in presentation, in relation to your current setup, right?
Also, you will lose a lot of the functionality of the Devialet if you keep your preamp... So, if Devialet, go all the way :)

Right now I'm listening to my Sonja 1.3 with the D'Agostino integrated amp, and it's amazing! Another option that I keep going back to is the darTZeel CTH-8550 integrated.

alex

Alex, yes, I will tryout, but like to get some perspective from the experts first. What do you mean by presentation? Another option I've been thinking about are mbl 9008's or 9011's, but those would be difficult to audition given size.

Off topic, but I see you are an Auralic dealer? I just saw yesterday that Auralic announced a firmware update for the Vega..but I don't see if on the website? How does one get that?

Thanks, Hammer

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alex, yes, I will tryout, but like to get some perspective from the experts first. What do you mean by presentation? Another option I've been thinking about are mbl 9008's or 9011's, but those would be difficult to audition given size.

Off topic, but I see you are an Auralic dealer? I just saw yesterday that Auralic announced a firmware update for the Vega..but I don't see if on the website? How does one get that?

Thanks, Hammer

I mean they sound very different :) On a transparent speaker like the Sonjas, that difference will be very clear, and the new presentation might not be to your liking, if you're used to your existing setup, with tubes on the pre, and the Bryston...

As for the Auralic, I haven't received any communication from them regarding the update. I know both Vega and Aries are due for updates soon (with support for Quad DSD, among other things) as they announced it in Munich a few weeks ago, but I wasn't given a time frame. In any case, I've emailed them, and I'll get back to you once I know more...

thanks,
alex

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
I mean they sound very different :) On a transparent speaker like the Sonjas, that difference will be very clear, and the new presentation might not be to your liking, if you're used to your existing setup, with tubes on the pre, and the Bryston...

As for the Auralic, I haven't received any communication from them regarding the update. I know both Vega and Aries are due for updates soon (with support for Quad DSD, among other things) as they announced it in Munich a few weeks ago, but I wasn't given a time frame. In any case, I've emailed them, and I'll get back to you once I know more...

thanks,
alex

That's exactly what I am afraid of...the 5SE was a huge leap forward and I am very happy currently. But you know how the upgrade itch gets!

Yes, please pass along any info you may get on the firmware update. Appreciate it!

Thanks, hammer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing