High Z or Low Z impedance RCA or XLR for MSB Analog DAC

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
I have high Z, XLR Transparent audio XLR interconnect from MSB Analog DAC to Pass Labs amplifier.
The Analog DAC is not a true Balanced DAC but still has XLR output .MSB states that RCA interconnect is better for this DAC
Pass Labs amp is true balanced.

I have tried the RCA version of Transparent ref with mm2 tech calibrated LOW Z . Comparing to XLR version but HIGH Z (mine) I find the following:
midrange , midbass and bass has more weight , but low low low bass weaker with RCA.
air between instruments not as good with RCA.

Comments are welcome
the RCA is calibrated for LOW Z and XLR for high Z.
MSB output impedance is 100 ohms on balanced and 53 on single ended .

If I recalibrate my XLR to low z will it be better?

Should I swop my high Z XLR for low Z RCA? I could bit I do not want to lose out on the low bass .

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have high Z, XLR Transparent audio XLR interconnect from MSB Analog DAC to Pass Labs amplifier.
The Analog DAC is not a true Balanced DAC but still has XLR output .MSB states that RCA interconnect is better for this DAC
Pass Labs amp is true balanced.

I have tried the RCA version of Transparent ref with mm2 tech calibrated LOW Z . Comparing to XLR version but HIGH Z (mine) I find the following:
midrange , midbass and bass has more weight , but low low low bass weaker with RCA.
air between instruments not as good with RCA.

Comments are welcome
the RCA is calibrated for LOW Z and XLR for high Z.
MSB impedance value measured is about 120 for XLR but 100 ACCORDING TO msb ......and 53 FOR RCA .

If I recalibrate my XLR to low z will it be better?

Should I swop my high Z XLR for low Z RCA? I could bit I do not want to lose out on the low bass .

The cut-off for lo-Z is 100 Ohm, so at 53 Ohm you should use lo-Z calibration.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Hi edorr
the RCA cable I am trying is set low Z which is correct for Analog DAC single ended ouput impedance of 53 Ohm .
My Balanced cable is calibrated high Z. MSB states their Analog DAC output impedance is 100ohm in balanced mode. 100ohm is cut off point. Transparent audio says that they have measured the Analog DAC has 120 ohm impedance on balanced output. hence should I recalibrate my XLR to low Z

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi edorr
the RCA cable I am trying is set low Z which is correct for Analog DAC single ended ouput impedance of 53 Ohm .
My Balanced cable is calibrated high Z. MSB states their Analog DAC output impedance is 100ohm in balanced mode. 100ohm is cut off point. Transparent audio says that they have measured the Analog DAC has 120 ohm impedance on balanced output. hence should I recalibrate my XLR to low Z

At 120 sounds like the balanced should be a Hi-Z but easiest is asking Transparent. They are very responsive.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
edorr
sorry my mistake
the MSB is 100 ohms on balanced line as measured by Transparent Audio . question remains . as 100 is cut off is there any benefit in recalibrating lo Z on xlr cable?
apologies for error

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
edorr
sorry my mistake
the MSB is 100 ohms on balanced line as measured by Transparent Audio . question remains . as 100 is cut off is there any benefit in recalibrating lo Z on xlr cable?
apologies for error

At 100 Ohm, its a crapshoot. I would not sweat is and just use whatever you got your hands on and enjoy the music.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Thank you edorr
Agreed !!! and i wish it was that simple.

I often wonder why we bother with improvements or finding the best.
"addicted to the best"

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
What in the heck is a Low Z analog interconnect cable?
And why would it matter?

Some cables, like Transparent, are tuned to match impedances between components. Hi z or Low z is the two versions in this particular cable. Other Transparent cables are precisely matched to each component. If you change components...you have to send the cables back to be retuned...

Here is more info from this manufacturer...a few other companies do this as well...

http://www.transparentcable.com/design/audio_cable_networks.php?catID=1&modCAT=1
http://www.transparentcable.com/design/audio_cable_networks2.php?catID=1&modCAT=1

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
i now have Transparent Audio Ref MM2 XLR low Z...... sounds great;
Better than high Z XLR and better than low Z RCA of the same Ref MM2.
As expected I had to make changes to speaker position and wait for cable to burn in and settle down. the process drove me nuts. I hope I never have to go through this again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing