Best tonearm match for a Koetsu stone body?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Well perhaps Ikeda users like me don't need a graph to be sold on an iconic product like 407.

That's fine, I can only imagine ...

Please note, I added the "graph" statement as an indication of perceived value - as compared to the super-fluff. I didn't claim it a requirement. That said, more real-time data, in the form of either graphs and or prose, is much preferred ...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone have any experience with a Koetsu stone body cartridge on a Basis Audio Superarm 9 tonearm?

Fineito

Nov 23, 2013
I'm the user that Brian Walsh referred to with the Lenco/4PT/Coralstone. I'm very happy with this combination. The arms that I identified as being candidates for the Coralstone were the 4PT, Ikeda 407 (a favorite of Jean Nantais of Lenco reputation), the 12" SME V, Tri-planar, and the Phantom. I purchased the 4 PT from Brian and he set everything up. I also own a relatively early generation Reed 12" 2A (red cedar) that I pair with the Koetsu Azule on a Steve Dobbins-based Garrard 301. The effective mass of my particular Reed 2A is 30 grams per the factory spec sheet. The construction of my arm differs a bit from current production which lists EM at about 22 grams (the Reed factory confirmed for me the head shell design is different in the current generation). Reed will build a special version of the arm to mate better with a stone body Koetsu. So, at 30 grams EM, it would seem my Reed 12" 2A is quite compatible, too.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Is the Ikeda compatible with SPU style carts?

Also, are there any setup tips you can share (mine should be arriving in the next week or two)?
Do you already have the Ikeda 407? What is coming in the next week or two?

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
A simple graph, showing it's cumulative resonant decay signature, would have been more valuable.
Assuming one has the instrumentation and ability to take such measurements and interpret them. Not that it's the only thing that counts, though. Setup is critical, as you point out.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Is the Ikeda compatible with SPU style carts?

Also, are there any setup tips you can share (mine should be arriving in the next week or two)?

The Ikeda's stated pivot to spindle distance of 295mm is a bit short of ideal. With a standard cartridge at that PTS one has to crank the cartridge inward towards the record to get proper geometry. Since you can't do that with an SPU I would recommend going to 298 or 299mm.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
The best?
When you look for a deep soundstage, a balanced tonality, superior detail and a lifelike presentation with Living Stereo, Deccas...
There are only 3 which are still ahead of everything:
Fidelity Research FR-66s
Fidelity Research FR-64s
Acoustical Systems Axiom

I use Blue Lace, Blue Lace Mono, Coralstone with those and tried a lot of other Arms with those, they are a league of their own.

Happy Listening

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
I am afraid, I ca not tell the exact differecence. I listened them in very different times, very different systems, so I can not comment on how big is the upgrade or what are the differences. One of my friend has a spare one(he changed mono-mono to stereo power). I do not know if he likes to sell, i may ask. Send PM if you want me to ask.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Could someone compare stonebody Koetsus in Kuzma SAFIR and Acoustical Systems Axiom tonearms. Where are the differences?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing