DSD DACS: Why SUBLIME with DSD recordigs but MEDIOCRE with PCM; Too Smooth & No Jump?

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
if I get a dsd dac, I want it to do dsd only. No shared signal path with pcm and dsd. I think that is the case with the iFi micro. My pcm dac has a usb port which is what I use exclusively. $500 is an attractive price.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I own the iFi and the Chord Qute EX as well. Ifi is better than the Chord for DSD but worse than the Lampi. Also, it does PCM as well with the same chip, but at least the DSD uses the bypass route on the BB1793.

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I ordered my big 7 with those 101 ds WE replicas and duelund caps transfered from my previous dsd only dac so fully burned in. I rolled also the rectifier and now that is NOS mullard GZ34. I am very happy with dsd sound but still consider pcm from La Fontaine to be better than pcm from lampi. I am aware of the opinion of Blue58 , maybe GG is a different animal or we have a bit different preferences.
Only a bit because still a lot in common: duo omega, SET amp, la fontaine and lampi. He is born in 58 , me - in 59.
Very curious to meet him one day:)

Hi Marslo, if you are ever in London let me know. Plus, let us all know how you found the Trios at AGHQ. Spirit is very keen to hear them along with Sadurni.

Re. The PCM, did I you see this quote from the GG thread. I concur that PCM was imo better than DSD presentation. I wonder what even higher rate DXD sounds like.

[A couple of people have contacted me about the Reserva power cord and I wanted to clarify that it's still in the early stages of beta testing, albeit showing great early promise, and will still need some further voicing with the accompanying new Reserva signal cabling. I did however receive some rather interesting feedback from another listener on PCM v DSD with this cord - to give some context he's really into the tech side of servers / software

Hmmmmm the weirdest thing: this powercord makes pcm through jriver/jplay sound better then dsd through hqplayer, im flabbergasted.. With my old pc's it was the other way around, and not even close, like hqp dsd 100 points, jr/jplay pcm 75 points. Now its more like jr/jplay pcm 100, hqp dsd 95. WTF!!??!!]

Time to sell the LaFontaine?
Blue58

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Nice thing - Marc from Sablon is following our discussion and he proposed Marcin Ostapowicz from Jplay/Jcat to contact me in order to make possible the audition of Reserva at home.
Very clever :)
As soon as Marcin will have one I will give it a serious listen.
La Fontaine to be sold ? Never :) I need a player for my cds and sacds even if they are all ripped.

I will let you know- if in London - with pleasure.

P.S I was contacted directly by Marc and he explained that the idea of audition of Reserva came rather from Marcin who will receive Reserva as beta tester and whom I know for years.
Just to avoid any misunderstandings.

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I own the iFi and the Chord Qute EX as well. Ifi is btetre than the Chord for DSD but worse than the Lampi. Also, it does PCM as well with the same chip, but at least the DSD uses the bypass route on the BB1793.

Funny you say that, Jose Victor Henriques (a reviewer and one who has now started to do some reviews for Hi-fi News) uses the iFi for DSD and the Chord Hugo for DXD :)
Cheers
Orb

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Just get the Lampi B7

LOL, so true.

You need guys to upsample the PCM to DSD in HQ Player instead of using the onboard PCM board. Sounds much better.

No way to do it with the Aurender though :(

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Hi Mariusz different tubes will give you different punch

You were right , here is the game changer, recommended by the fellow audiophile .
Now pcm from lampi is on the level of La Fontaine if not better :)

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 169

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can't see the attachment, what tube is it

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Try the open the attachment pls, you could see 101 D WE replicas behind rectifier.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok, they take 300 hours to burn in. These are the best among us, but those who have heard the original WE consider this to be *unmentionable words* - as you can see, you are listening to the Lampi - 99% of us are listening to the Lampi - @50% potential

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
This conversion is mostly being done by those having a DAC that excels with DSD compared to direct PCM conversion, or with DSD only DACs.

No, everyone is involved. Some like it better, some dont.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
You were right , here is the game changer, recommended by the fellow audiophile .
Now pcm from lampi is on the level of La Fontaine if not better :)

Marslo,

I think you have just been led down the rabbit hole. Most talk about DHTs or rectis in isolation, BUT the COMINATION of the 2 is where all the potential magic is.

Me, I have like 12 rectis and like 10 DHT pairs, so lots to play with. Imagine the prmutations.

Oh, and unlike in amps, these tubes are not stressed and even very weak ones will play and they last a looong time.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Try the open the attachment pls, you could see 101 D WE replicas behind rectifier.

There are several HUGE tube rolling threads over at audiocircle and there is a facebook page about B7 tube rolling as well. Lots of good info.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I have also mullard GZ 34 but not metal base . In DSD RCA and mullard sound different but on the same , very high level . In pcm I do prefer RCA . GZ 34 metal base must be the top notch but who - after having spent 400 usd/euro - would say the contrary?:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing