Beyond Turntables-Micro Seiki SZ-1t, SX-8000II & SX-8000

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It wasn't me. The former owner did it. My old Craz rack just has those big spikes coming out of the frame. What was meant to be on the Craz 3 rack? I didn't even check. I will say this, the new SRA rings a lot more than the old one if you rap your knuckles on the shelf.

I believe there is a new footer design that incorporates the shelf material with spikes like what are probably on your earlier model. Unless the previous owner re-bored the threads, you should be able to return to stock. The thing is designed to be used as comes out of the box. But it may be too much hassle to de-platform all your gear.

Yes wrt to ringing - I've heard something like that from others - Marc Mickelson reported the shelves on the version 2 "felt and sounded (after a light tap) unusually lively -- bell-like almost" although he thought the new ones were more inert. Maybe you have v2 shelves? You can also get the 'iso-pads' replaced for each shelf (no charge) to match what's on them - just tell them your gear and they'll send what's appropriate - it only takes a screw driver.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I have a Sx8000mkII as well. No link I'm afraid but here's a few photos... View attachment 76211
View attachment 76212
Congratulation whit your SX8000MKII a dream table indeed!
Impressive setup Audio Note M10,Robert Koda K15ex,Zanden Jinpu,MS SX8000MKII....
I have few questions:
-What speakers and cables do you use?
-How do the Robert Koda K15EX compare to the Audio Note M10 in different area of sound fields like tonality , soundstage , noise floor , speed , explosive attack potential , focus and imagine ....

Thanks and enjoy this wonderful set!

Reactions: howiebrou

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Do you use the record weight even though the 8000 II has vacuum hold down?
I have used a record weight on my 8000 II.
As with the current TechDAS models, Nishikawa san is using them together with vacuum hold down.
Function is not to hold the record down, but to "manage" the resonances in the record.
A good contemporary start into the wide field of different available constructions is the gun metal Micro Seiki ST-10 record weight, which can be easily found in the used market.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have used a record weight on my 8000 II.
As with the current TechDAS models, Nishikawa san is using them together with vacuum hold down.
Function is not to hold the record down, but to "manage" the resonances in the record.
A good contemporary start into the wide field of different available constructions is the gun metal Micro Seiki ST-10 record weight, which can be easily found in the used market.
I've always wondered what a gunmetal version of the platter would sound like on the 8000II, a bit warmer I would think.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Congratulation whit your SX8000MKII a dream table indeed!
Impressive setup Audio Note M10,Robert Koda K15ex,Zanden Jinpu,MS SX8000MKII....
I have few questions:
-What speakers and cables do you use?
-How do the Robert Koda K15EX compare to the Audio Note M10 in different area of sound fields like tonality , soundstage , noise floor , speed , explosive attack potential , focus and imagine ....

Thanks and enjoy this wonderful set!
I use Goebel Lacorde speaker cables coming out of the Analog Domain Artemis to Goebel Divin Noblesse speakers. Will comment about the other stuff separately.

108CY

May 4, 2013
The Micro Seiki 8000 mk11 is a delightful turntable that any one who is serious about vinyl replay should certainly own at some point in their audio journey. I currently have two of then sadly packed away with so many others lack of space is always a problem. Congratulations Peter on your fine purchase .

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The Micro Seiki 8000 mk11 is a delightful turntable that any one who is serious about vinyl replay should certainly own at some point in their audio journey. I currently have two of then sadly packed away with so many others lack of space is always a problem. Congratulations Peter on your fine purchase .

Thank you Mik. I am curious if you ever compared the SX 8000 II to the Sz-1t. Also, how would you describe the sound of the SX 8000 II? What tonearm did you use with it?

Reactions: 108CY

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Wow. Two in storage! May I ask if they are 100V or European voltage?

Reactions: 108CY

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) As with the current TechDAS models, Nishikawa san is using them together with vacuum hold down. Function is not to hold the record down, but to "manage" the resonances in the record.
(...)

Vacuum coupling also reduces the micro acceleration and deceleration of the vinyl LP due to stylus tracking - if such thing really exists! :oops: It is strange that many people valuate so much the large mass of inertia of large heavy platters to counteract these effects and ignore the typical elastic or floppy coupling of the record to the platter.

108CY

May 4, 2013
Wow. Two in storage! May I ask if they are 100V or European voltage?
Both of mine are European voltage I did own a 100v version previously.

Reactions: howiebrou

108CY

May 4, 2013
Thank you Mik. I am curious if you ever compared the SX 8000 II to the Sz-1t. Also, how would you describe the sound of the SX 8000 II? What tonearm did you use with it?

I have used quite a few arms on the SX8000 MK2 the Sme 3012r Ikeda 407 both versions original steel version and later aluminium I have also heard the latest Steel version on a friends SX8000 MK2. I have tried the SAT original Airtangent Reference also the fidelity research fr66s and the fx version, also a few more. Maybe sometime when we speak on the phone I can go into more detail yes I have tried the SX1 I owned a 100v version a very different sounding turntable in many ways.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Both of mine are European voltage I did own a 100v version previously.
Thanks. I've always wondered whether it was possible or indeed desirable or risky to try and convert it to 230V...

mr-particle

Dec 20, 2012
Germany
I have used quite a few arms on the SX8000 MK2 the Sme 3012r Ikeda 407 both versions original steel version and later aluminium I have also heard the latest Steel version on a friends SX8000 MK2. I have tried the SAT original Airtangent Reference also the fidelity research fr66s and the fx version, also a few more. Maybe sometime when we speak on the phone I can go into more detail yes I have tried the SX1 I owned a 100v version a very different sounding turntable in many ways.
May I ask to share some insight how well the FR66s, or FR64s has matched with the SX8000Mk.II, also in comparison to the SME3012r?

Reactions: Strad

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
This past weekend, I took ownership of a SX-8000 and a FR-66S. Spent yesterday performing TT set up. I still need a couple of things to mount the FR-66S (namely a suitable cart, suggestions appreciated) but did have a SME armboard to transfer my Phantom III w/ZYX U II and get initial impressions.

I cannot say I understand the physics of what I hear yet but in simple terms, things went quiet, basically, the extraneous noise floor dropped significantly. Faint details emerge, music comes into focus and long sought after bass response/tightness has come to life. A significant step up from my ancient VPI.

Impressive kit that I probably would have overlooked had it not been for guidance found here...Thanks one and all!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This past weekend, I took ownership of a SX-8000 and a FR-66S. Spent yesterday performing TT set up. I still need a couple of things to mount the FR-66S (namely a suitable cart, suggestions appreciated) but did have a SME armboard to transfer my Phantom III w/ZYX U II and get initial impressions.

I cannot say I understand the physics of what I hear yet but in simple terms, things went quiet, basically, the extraneous noise floor dropped significantly. Faint details emerge, music comes into focus and long sought after bass response/tightness has come to life. A significant step up from my ancient VPI.

Impressive kit that I probably would have overlooked had it not been for guidance found here...Thanks one and all!

One of my fellow London audiophiles has the FR 66s with Decca, Koetsu Jade with Diamond Cantilever, Koetsu , various vintage SPUs, and the FR cartridges - FR 7Fz, FR 7fc, and FR 7 PW1 (professional world). All are preset on different headshells, mostly Arche, so can easily be swapped.

In his system the Decca London is by far the best for classical and jazz, but is very temperamental and he is always adjusting it. If not set up right it can be bright and can also eat the vinyl.

Your zyx will sound fine on it, I have heard it sound nice on the FR 64s and the Ikeda, so think the FR 66s should be fine.

I have heard various Koetsus and they sound good to me only on FR arms, the 64s and the 66s, though still not to my preference in cartridges. But if you ever wanted to try a koetsu, you have the best arm for it. While I have not liked the stock urushis, his urushi has the paratrace (which one of the UK companies installs) and that is my preferred koetsu.

While I love the FR arms I don't like their carts.. They are average.

That's his system http://zero-distortion.org/soulution-pre-kr-va-200/

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
One of my fellow London audiophiles has the FR 66s with Decca, Koetsu Jade with Diamond Cantilever, Koetsu , various vintage SPUs, and the FR cartridges - FR 7Fz, FR 7fc, and FR 7 PW1 (professional world). All are preset on different headshells, mostly Arche, so can easily be swapped.

In his system the Decca London is by far the best for classical and jazz, but is very temperamental and he is always adjusting it. If not set up right it can be bright and can also eat the vinyl.

Your zyx will sound fine on it, I have heard it sound nice on the FR 64s and the Ikeda, so think the FR 66s should be fine.

I have heard various Koetsus and they sound good to me only on FR arms, the 64s and the 66s, though still not to my preference in cartridges. But if you ever wanted to try a koetsu, you have the best arm for it. While I have not liked the stock urushis, his urushi has the paratrace (which one of the UK companies installs) and that is my preferred koetsu.

While I love the FR arms I don't like their carts.. They are average.

That's his system http://zero-distortion.org/soulution-pre-kr-va-200/
if the FR sounds average, he has made no effort to set it well. the only pickup that was musically better was a kiseki agaat.
Black Night 3- Motoren Antrieb in runder Motordose.JPG

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
if the FR sounds average, he has made no effort to set it well. the only pickup that was musically better was a kiseki agaat.

I haven't heard the Agaat but the kiseki purple heart again an average cart. He has three different FR 7 carts as mentioned, and all of them have the same characteristic. I think they will do well in a low resolution system but they are quite flat and one dimensional in a system that can show much more. Their tone is nice, but the Decca does all that plus it is just so more nuanced and transparent to the recordings.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing