Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Turntables-Micro Seiki SZ-1t, SX-8000II & SX-8000

Micro Seiki SZ-1t vs SX-8000II

Micro Seiki SZ-1t vs SX-8000II, a question that's often asked. Is there a major difference between the sound of these tables? Yes there is! Common to both tables is the same air floating bearing design and identical stainless steel platters, but they're quite different in over all mass and size. The SX-8000II is already formidable and of one the very best turntables ever made, period. SZ-1t is Micro Seiki's "Step Beyond". SZ-1t's additional size and mass translates to a more Natural sound. Everything is airier and more open, the music floats up and the bass is more nuanced, both solid and delicate adding richness and liveliness to the already spectacular sound of the SX-8000II...

Last weekend we received a 900 lb. shipment of two very special turntables.

Name:  IMG_7356.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  586.4 KB

One of them is a SX-8000II that I sold a few years ago, now back to us again. I decided to take a couple of side by side shots with the SZ-1t prior setup. Both tables have the same 28kgs stainless steel platter. SX-8000II's base comes in 35kgs, and the SZ-1t tilts the scale at 60kgs. As you can see even the matching system platform of the SZ-1t is on a different plane compared to the SX-8000II's BA-600.

Name:  L_004428.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  545.6 KB

Name:  L_004433.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  978.2 KB

david
    Last edited by ddk; 06-05-2016 at 04:55 PM.

David

Thanks for taking the time to show us all a little bit of analog history. I would love to listen to those tables.

Paul

David,
    Thanks for the photos I am a big Micro Seiki fan but alas I only have a RX-1500....one day when I grow up.
    Rumor has it , you own an American Sound turntable pray tell... I suppose it is a story for another thread.

Jam

Quote Originally Posted by pcosta View Post
    David

Thanks for taking the time to show us all a little bit of analog history. I would love to listen to those tables.

Paul
    You know where I live, welcome to stop by anytime Paul.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    David,
    Thanks for the photos I am a big Micro Seiki fan but alas I only have a RX-1500....one day when I grow up.
    Rumor has it , you own an American Sound turntable pray tell... I suppose it is a story for another thread.

Jam

Glad you enjoyed the picts Jam! Stay tuned, American Sound coming up in a couple of weeks.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

David

We want to see pics of the SZ -1T set up and running
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Graham Phantom, Exclusive P3 & P10, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Here it is, the one in the pictures,

Name:  SZ1-2-web.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  673.2 KB

david
    Last edited by ddk; 06-05-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Hi David

very very very nice. I did not realise the pics on page one were of the actual unit you received in the large crate on page 2.

How does it sound with the Max 282 tonearm. Have you felt the need to have the tonearm rewired?
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Graham Phantom, Exclusive P3 & P10, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Hi David

very very very nice. I did not realise the pics on page one were of the actual unit you received in the large crate on page 2.

How does it sound with the Max 282 tonearm. Have you felt the need to have the tonearm rewired?
    Hi XV-1,

The SZ-1t is the same one that I had, what arrived in the crate was the SX-8000II & a 100% mint, like new EMT 927. I was going to change the cartridge in the SZ-1t so I just took the arm out for the pictures. As far as I know I haven't seen any side by side picts of these two tables anywhere and how do they compare is a question that I get regularly.

The Max-282 is a great arm, very natural and musical. I haven't felt a need to rewire it but I'm on the fence with the silicone damping.

david

Drool!

What is your choice of cartridge?

I find that silicon damping might be more useful for moving magnet cartridges.

Jam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast