Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Turntables-Micro Seiki SZ-1t, SX-8000II & SX-8000

Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    Drool!

What is your choice of cartridge?

I find that silicon damping might be more useful for moving magnet cartridges.

Jam
    I'm a cartridge whore Jam! I can pin down the table and the arm but cartridges are a different story. Specially with eBay you have access to so many good & great ones from past too. Throw in the SUTs and you have even more combinations to make you go crazy. The silicone changes the character of the and is a kind of coloration that works with some cartridges but not all.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Hi David,

Given your extensive experience with various Micro Seiki tables and TechDAS, what is your view about the new AF3 model and which Micro Seiki model you would compare it to? For someone like myself, who cannot afford either AF1 or AF2, what is your view about the junior TechDAS model? Is it a viable option despite it relatively low mass?

Thanks,
    Aziz

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    I'm a cartridge whore Jam! I can pin down the table and the arm but cartridges are a different story. Specially with eBay you have access to so many good & great ones from past too. Throw in the SUTs and you have even more combinations to make you go crazy. The silicone changes the character of the and is a kind of coloration that works with some cartridges but not all.

david
    I am looking for the body and tone of a SPU anniversary with the higher end and resolution of a Lyra
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by abeidrov View Post
    Hi David,

Given your extensive experience with various Micro Seiki tables and TechDAS, what is your view about the new AF3 model and which Micro Seiki model you would compare it to? For someone like myself, who cannot afford either AF1 or AF2, what is your view about the junior TechDAS model? Is it a viable option despite it relatively low mass?

Thanks,
    Aziz
    Difficult to answer your question Aziz without knowing your definition of viable and my experience with AF-3 is limited Jack is the one to ask about AF-3.
    david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    I am looking for the body and tone of a SPU anniversary with the higher end and resolution of a Lyra
    ZYX Universe Premium!

It's not a question of resolution Ked but delivery, classic designs like the SPU don't lack resolution specially the various anniversary models but deliver the music in a very different character than modern cartridges. IME the ZYX embodies the best of both worlds better than other cartridge I've heard plus it's very uncanny signature smoothness. This doesn't mean that there aren't other very fine cartridges out there but your question was very specific.

david

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    ZYX Universe Premium!

It's not a question of resolution Ked but delivery, classic designs like the SPU don't lack resolution specially the various anniversary models but deliver the music in a very different character than modern cartridges. IME the ZYX embodies the best of both worlds better than other cartridge I've heard plus it's very uncanny signature smoothness. This doesn't mean that there aren't other very fine cartridges out there but your question was very specific.

david
    I second that David

yesterday, Mike Lavigne paid me a surprise visit for an afternoon of listening. While paying vinyl I asked him if he wanted to do an a/b comparison of the two cartridges. It is a simple switch via my Lamm LP1 Signature. Mike also owns the Anna. Within 30 seconds Mike smiled and said something but finished by saying "let's listen only with the ZYX Premium".

Granted it wasn't a fair comparison as the arms were of different make and length however the sonic difference between the two is immediately apparent
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Do you guys have any experience with the ZYX Universe II model? Does it have the same qualities as the more expensive ZYX Premium?

Thanks,
    Aziz

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    I second that David

yesterday, Mike Lavigne paid me a surprise visit for an afternoon of listening. While paying vinyl I asked him if he wanted to do an a/b comparison of the two cartridges. It is a simple switch via my Lamm LP1 Signature. Mike also owns the Anna. Within 30 seconds Mike smiled and said something but finished by saying "let's listen only with the ZYX Premium".

Granted it wasn't a fair comparison as the arms were of different make and length however the sonic difference between the two is immediately apparent
    I love that cartridge and agree but I also want something much cheaper.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Do you guys have any experience with the ZYX Universe II model? Does it have the same qualities as the more expensive ZYX Premium?

Thanks,
    Aziz

Thanks,
    Aziz
    I have compared it top AN IO and Koetsu rosewood platinum and really like it. It had nice timbre, bass, shows nuances of piano and violin, nice depth. I doubt it has the same qualities of the universe premium, maybe DDK can confirm

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Difficult to answer your question Aziz without knowing your definition of viable and my experience with AF-3 is limited Jack is the one to ask about AF-3.
    david
    I think of all the TD tables the AF3 has the closest direct relation to a MS table and that table would be the 5000. There are elements currently unique to the SZ like the air bearing motor flywheel that have yet to appear in any current TD table. Maybe the Zero perhaps?
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast