Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Turntables-Micro Seiki SZ-1t, SX-8000II & SX-8000

Beyond Turntables-Micro Seiki SZ-1t, SX-8000II & SX-8000

We’ll start with Micro Seiki company for the first “Beyond” installment. I don’t have many details about the company’s history but I remember that they hit the ground running in the 70’s with their amazing DDX-1000 turntable. The basic design elements of this table, high mass, high inertia with flexible multi-arm capacity was the basis for the tables that made the company legendary. I’m hoping some of you might know more about their history.

Name:  DDX-1000-2-web.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  173.0 KB Name:  DDX-1000-web.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  111.4 KB

While others only had one Beyond product Micro Seiki had 3! Since all three models share the same design concept and performed at near the same levels I’ll deal with them as one. There are some differences among them that we’ll get to later. Not much information is available regarding the chronology of these turntables but I think the first and the rarest of all Micro Seiki tables was the SZ-1, made in the mid 1980’s. A money no object 195 lbs. belt driven high mass, high inertia Statement turntable with air floating platter and even an air-bearing motor. SZ-1 had two platter options both with vacuum hold down, Gun Metal and Stainless Steel with a total inertia moment of 26t/cm2 (about 28 tons!). To complete the systems Micro Seiki offered a massive foundation designed specifically for the SZ-1 called the BA-100 Audio Base. With air bladders for isolation in the feet.

Name:  SZ1-1-web.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  907.3 KB

Name:  SZ1-2-web.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  673.2 KB

(continued below...)
    Last edited by ddk; 06-05-2016 at 04:40 PM.
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

he motor itself was another tour de force with its air-floating disc.

Name:  SZ1-3-web.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  723.6 KB

Name:  SZ1-4-web.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  680.5 KB

I can fill up a few pages with all kinds of superlatives trying to describe SZ-1’s sound quality but at this level one really needs to hear it to understand. Everything is there and in the right places. The first time you see the SZ-1, you’ll fall in love with its sheer beauty and impressive features, but then comes the sound. An unexpected tsunami of natural delicacy and realism that draws you into the heart of the music all the way to the original event as captured by the recording. SZ-1 was my very first turntable at the Beyond level when I had no idea what its all about, but everything changed after that first listen. I’m not a writer reviewer and lack their writing skills and probably impossible for me to convey the experience and/or the sound. Maybe the car guys here have experienced this a –ha didn’t know it existed moment in that hobby. Quite a few are familiar with a 911, S model Audi and high end Mercs and BWMs which defined high end. Next level up experienced by even fewer people is the Turbo, RS, AMG and M cars defining the ultimate in each class. All fantastic and at the pinnacle of the automotive engineering but comes along the all out, badass Italian Lamborghini Diablo turning everything upside down and the driving experience to where no Turbo/RS/AMG/M driver ever thought existed. You can see it see it in their faces. Those fortunate to have made the transition or had a taste know exactly what I’m talking about.

(continued below)
    Last edited by ddk; 06-05-2016 at 04:42 PM.
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

SZ-1 innovations where applied to two other legendary Micro Seiki tables by Mr. Nishikawa, Micro’s design engineer. The first was the SX-8000,

Name:  SX-8000-2-web.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  573.1 KB

Name:  SX-8000-3-web.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  787.2 KB

Name:  SX-8000-1-web.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  865.5 KB

(continued below)
    Last edited by ddk; 06-05-2016 at 04:44 PM.

The final and also the best known and most desirable version was the SX-8000II+BA-600 which like the SZ-1 and its beautiful industrial design and gorgeous sound robbed you of all senses. As the Borg say, “Resistance is Futile”!

Name:  SX-8000II-web.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  671.0 KB

Name:  SX-8000II-3-web.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  524.2 KB

Name:  SX-8000II-4-web.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  407.3 KB

Name:  SX-8000II-5-web.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  444.4 KB

Would love to hear from others with their SX & SZ tables and see their setups!

david
    Last edited by ddk; 06-05-2016 at 04:49 PM.

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Hopefully Jcarr will take his SZ out of storage and set it up!
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    Hopefully Jcarr will take his SZ out of storage and set it up!
    Don't know about setting it up but he's been threatening to get to the storage since I met him; 13 - 14 years ago….

david

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    The final and also the best known and most desirable version was the SX-8000II+BA-600 which like the SZ-1 and its beautiful industrial design and gorgeous sound robbed you of all senses. As the Borg say, “Resistance is Futile”!

Would love to hear from others with their SX & SZ tables and see their setups!

david
    Hi David, WoW--those all yours!--I don't own any of the TT's but I auditioned the 8000II against the Techdas AF2--it was close both superb but as I've posted before--- I preferred the Old fellow!

Vintage won the day for me anyway

BruceD

Quote Originally Posted by BruceD View Post
    Hi David, WoW--those all yours!--I don't own any of the TT's but I auditioned the 8000II against the Techdas AF2--it was close both superb but as I've posted before--- I preferred the Old fellow!

Vintage won the day for me anyway

BruceD
    Hi Bruce,
    Years ago I fell in love with these beautiful machines and bought them when I found one. The old fellow was designed as a no compromise statement piece, the new kid is designed to be no.3 down the pole !

gorgeous tables David! As I am a believer in these tables and the technology MS used in the golden age of analogue I think these are the best belt-driven vintage tables. The units you are displaying are in very fine condition. okay, on the arms you could play around a little but this might be not your destination...enjoy

www.Audio16.com
    Last edited by airbearing; 06-07-2015 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by airbearing View Post
    gorgeous tables David! As I am a believer in these tables and the technology MS used in the golden age of analogue I think these are the best belt-driven vintage tables. The units you are displaying are in very fine condition. okay, on the arms you could play around a little but this might be not your destination...enjoy

www.Audio16.com

Thanks airbearing, I know you also have a very fine collection of tables, arms and cartridges too. I stopped using other arms a few years ago and settled on the SME 3012 for all my listening, otherwise with all the tables and cartridges it becomes too confusing to figure out each combination.

david

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast