Reference Turntable, The Step Beyond

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have played several times with three-phase generators for turntable motors - the first time was long ago driving the Oracle Delphi III brushless motor without servo, later with a spare Studer A80 capstan motor that I intended to use to drive the Forsell air bearing flywheel. In order to get the proper voltage I used three step-transformers connected to a multichannel amplifier ...

Looking at the signals of an accelerometer connected to Spectraplus I could adjust the amplitudes of each phase for minimum vibration - it depends on motor drag. It was a nice exercise.

However we can not be sure that bypassing mechanical controllers improves subject sound quality. They rely on drag, and in the same way the viscosity of oil (or pressure of air in air bearing...) affects the sound quality, they are part of system and its sound characteristics. As people say, they were part of the designer intentions.

BTW, I gave up on three phase project after I saw the Apolyt turntable and I am finishing the system with a spare A80 capstan motor controller. If it is good enough for the Apolyt and A80 capstan it should be good enough for my modest Forsell turntable ...

All IMHO, YMMV surely.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Here is another modern arm option for the 927. A custom Thales Statement. I think another gentleman in Bangkok is putting it on his EMT.

23D6E43C-1568-4559-8C66-660DDB6BE50A.jpg
C0385580-B120-4ABE-8F49-779B1AA1E3D8.jpg

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow excellent. Will you be able to move this to the Techdas or the AS also?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Wow excellent. Will you be able to move this to the Techdas or the AS also?

It is not mine Bonzo. I think it will be too long for the Techdas but might be able to put on AS with armbase modification.

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Khun David,

You never like the GFS when it was on SAT/AS2000. I moved it to Axiom/EMT and tuned it with your secret recipe when Bonzo was here. Now a match made in Harlem :D. Wish you could hear it.

5904C307-568F-4305-A785-1EB73413A714.jpg

Kindest regards,
Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Khun David,

You never like the GFS when it was on SAT/AS2000. I moved it to Axiom/EMT and tuned it with your secret recipe when Bonzo was here. Now a match made in Harlem :D. Wish you could hear it.

View attachment 44076

Kindest regards,
Tang

LOL :D! I can believe the match made in Harlem! The Axiom's forward midranginess would bring some life to the bland GFS but let's see how long you can live with Harlem sound.

david

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
LOL :D! I can believe the match made in Harlem! The Axiom's forward midranginess would bring some life to the bland GFS but let's see how long you can live with Harlem sound.

david

I am worried David that Tang has become your Anakein Skywalker to your Obi wan Kenobi, he never learnt it all, and turned to the dark side....his secret cartridge receipt.....is it from a Sith Lord ?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am worried David that Tang has become your Anakein Skywalker to your Obi wan Kenobi, he never learnt it all, and turned to the dark side..

Only when I declare myself "a full glass of water" that I miss the opportunity of being the best I can possibly be.

I am not even half full sir ;).

Kindest regards,
Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I am worried David that Tang has become your Anakein Skywalker to your Obi wan Kenobi, he never learnt it all, and turned to the dark side....his secret cartridge receipt.....is it from a Sith Lord ?

Actually he's become Master Jedi! He knows how to get the best from his carts and arms his pairing of the GFS with the Axiom is a master balancing act that works for both arm and cartridge; it's just that he has better combinations.

david

volken

Apr 30, 2018
Netherlands
Very rare EMT 80 S turntable the forerunner of the 927 just made the last adjustments for driving it with my 3phase power supply.

Attachments

• WP_20181029_14_59_36_Rich.jpg
    WP_20181029_14_59_36_Rich.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 84

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Very rare EMT 80 S turntable the forerunner of the 927 just made the last adjustments for driving it with my 3phase power supply.

Interesting surface finish it has.

Kind regards,
Tang

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Was it from PCB boards that gerbers were available on DIYaudio? I've been wanting to do something similar with an old Lenco, but it's behind a few other projects.

mmakshak

May 1, 2011
S.F. Bay Area
1) It is arguable, I know, but many people are convinced that when done right it sounds better. I am solidly in that camp.
2) It is thought provoking. By that, I mean that it slows the listener down and occupies his mind in a way that causes him to pay closer attention to the music. It also puts him in closer touch with the artist because he is more prone to read LP liners than whatever words come with a CD. Files have nothing comparable, of course.
3) It prepares the listener for his listening journey by slowing him down, too. In many cases the objective is to escape the rat race for a time, and visit another place and time. One has to slow down to really relax. Vinyl makes the fantasy work better.
4) It promotes some primal instincts. One of those is the need to build something. You can always add something to a turntable that's neat, a light, a cartridge, an arm, etc.
5) Another primal instinct is hoarding. The whole exercise is a hoarder's delight.
6) Bragger's rights. Turntables are as individual as their owners.
7) And, not least of all...the ability to own a truly wonderful piece of art. ;)
I take issue with number 2-not because it's wrong, but because I believe what we have here is a direct connection to the music with analog(albeit with modifications) versus a representation of music(a sampling, if you will) with digital. The difference to me is manifested by the listener becoming emotional, along with the music maker(analog), versus the observation that the music maker is emotional(digital).

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
This is not the Axiom but a Thai version of armboard for the Banana in the back of 927.

View attachment 38154
View attachment 38155

Tang
Hi Tango
Do you have contact info on those parts for the EMT to ad a second arm. I saw your Acoustical Systems version and it is super slick and cool, but probably to expensive for me and not necessary for my SME 3012R. I am trying to make my new to me EMT 927 a two arm table.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tango
Do you have contact info on those parts for the EMT to ad a second arm. I saw your Acoustical Systems version and it is super slick and cool, but probably to expensive for me and not necessary for my SME 3012R. I am trying to make my new to me EMT 927 a two arm table.
The two pictures you saw are not mine and not made by Acoustical System. It is fabricated by another Thai owner of that 927. So I dontthink it is gonna be so expensive. If you wish I could ask my tonearm guy to find out for you. The guy might even make another one for sales. Another friend, Airbearing, also made his own version using adaptation of the old SME arm board. I dont know if you your 927 has a small transformer under the plinth toward the left rear end of tt or not. I have one and it creates hums for my back arm. I will get some mumetal to cover up the transformer to rid this hum.

Kind regards,
Tang

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Tang
I emailed Airbearing (Eckart) and he told me about his version and yours from Acoustical Systems. I saw that picture of another version and was wondering what the pricing could be. To do Airbearings version would require me to see a machine shop and I am feeling lazy. I would appreciate the contact info of your guy for the arm mount.
My EMT has the big power supply, so there is a transformer there covered in a metal box. I have the Korean made suspension base so it may be a little different from your German made one. 20190222_184601 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dante Choi

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang
I emailed Airbearing (Eckart) and he told me about his version and yours from Acoustical Systems. I saw that picture of another version and was wondering what the pricing could be. To do Airbearings version would require me to see a machine shop and I am feeling lazy. I would appreciate the contact info of your guy for the arm mount.
My EMT has the big power supply, so there is a transformer there covered in a metal box. I have the Korean made suspension base so it may be a little different from your German made one. View attachment 49492
I will check for you today.

Tang :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing