Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reference Turntable, The Step Beyond

Aha..micro seiki attached to the Studiotechnik suspension frame. Thank you for showing the way DDK and Airbearing.

Kind regards,
    Tang

Dear Tang,
    i recently discovered my WBF password.

here is my report from the visit at David in October

https://audiocirc.com/2017/10/10/red-rocks/

best
    E.

Quote Originally Posted by airbearing View Post
    Dear Tang,
    i recently discovered my WBF password.

here is my report from the visit at David in October

https://audiocirc.com/2017/10/10/red-rocks/

best
    E.
    Sawasdee E,

I have been following your journey from your site. In fact, bought some stuffs from what you shared in audiocircle.com to get actual taste of how they are . The latest acquisition was Grant Green's Matador 45s. I just enjoyed them yesterday.

Btw. my second armbase for 927 that you gave idea how to do is almost done. I ended up not using the Micro base and have my tonearm guy do the fabrication for me. Will show some pics when done.

Thank you for sharing,
    Tang

Sawatdii Tang,
    great to hear and looking forward seeing your new tonearm base design. I am not so far away from you, living quite a good time in Sai Gon during the year.

best
    E.

Quote Originally Posted by airbearing View Post
    Sawatdii Tang,
    great to hear and looking forward seeing your new tonearm base design. I am not so far away from you, living quite a good time in Sai Gon during the year.

best
    E.
    Sai Gon..You are oldschool E.

Tang

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Sai Gon..You are oldschool E.

Tang
    somehow, yes... tang

Best E.
    Name:  Saigon.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  1.06 MB

It is up and running now. I installed the rewired Ortofon 297 back to the EMT yesterday. The new copper wire is from Cardas. I also bypass all the original nonsense wire routing fron tonearm directly to RCA input of my phono. It is nonsense for me because the original wire routing is for 927 that comes with an original phono box, but my EMT didnt come with the phono. Picture below shows how the wire run before the bypass. Too fuzzy with many connecting points.

Name:  20171221_090840_resized.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  797.9 KB

Before the tonearm was rewired I had the Anna on. I didnt like what I was hearing. To be honest, the sound was a few steps below both my Techdas and Kronos setups. Now instead I put Atlas SL on the EMT J-headshell. The four legs of headshell where cartridge leads suppose to attach to were too long I had to trim them short and soldered the leads to them, otherwise I couldnt mount the Atlas on this headshell. Ddk told me to keep the distance from arm end to the tip of stylus around 31 mm. Thats what I did. With the EMT J-headshell and Atlas SL, the counterweight of the Ortofon was not enough. I had to diy additional counterweight with a brass ring. It looks stupid but stupid seems to work just fine.

Name:  20171222_075442_resized.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  991.7 KB

Name:  20171222_075211_resized.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  659.4 KB

The sound? Wayyyy better than when I had Anna on the arm without rewiring and a bypass.
    I have only been listening for 5-6 hours. With the rewired Ortofon 297, the sound of Atlas is a lot less "show off" almost like it's been tamed down on the analytical part, which now sound very pleasing. The dynamic is still A+. I never heard the Atlas with such good vocal like this. It even sounds warm. The tonal balance is not like I used to hearing. Very unlike Atlas SL when on SAT arm. Am I hearing the table or arm/cart combo, I havent figure it out yet. I will write more to try to describe the sound I get from this EMT when I listen to it long enough to have confidence in saying. Right now I am just enjoying the 927 very much. It is now at least on the same level as my other two tts, but I still have more things in my sleeve to optimize the 927 which will further better its sq.

If my posting here is inappropriate on this thread, pls tell me, I will remove it right away. I think am approaching The Step Beyond so I piggy back ddk's thread here .

Tang

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Nice. What happens when you use the Arche headshell on your atlas instead of the EMT?
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Nice. What happens when you use the Arche headshell on your atlas instead of the EMT?
    You cant use the Arche on this Ortofon arm. The Arche is too long to mount any cart for a proper setup with this arm. 31 mm from the edge of the arm to the stylus tip is critical. The J-headshell is very short.

Wait another three months when I get my custom Axiom 14" for the 927, I will let you know.

Btw, You see in the pic I am not using any record weight. Maybe you want to send me the expensive Dalby of yours to try Kedar.

Tang

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Can do. When I get back in Jan.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast