Which of these brands generally have the lushest midrange?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm looking to move away from my Grado Reference Sonata 1 due to an incompatibility with the Oracle Paris. I am experiencing the dreaded "Grado hum". It isn't severe, but still enough for me to want a change. I'm saddened by this as I've always been a huge fan of the Grado wood bodies and their IMO sublime midrange characteristics.

I've asked elsewhere about certain brands and the opinions vary significantly with many disagreements abounding. So I'm really no further ahead in my search for a replacement. Since we have a lot of heavy-hitters on the WBF with plenty of experience, I'd like to ask for your opinions as well.

There are 2 brands that seem to pop up regularly and they are: Benz and Soundsmith. Others are Lyra and Dynavector. Pricepoint would have to be around the $1,000-$1,500 range, but absolutely no more.

Which of these brands would you consider to have the more luscious midrange as a general characteristic?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
hi john.

imo it would be Benz then maybe the 20XL of Dyna.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
JV, it's difficult recommending carts considering the associated variables. I think Benz maybe the closest in tonality, however ... below links to a recent rip w/legacy Benz RubyH2. Hopefully this cut/example can provide you some "tonal" clues for comparison:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij1w3vdz5mfo7v3/11%20Track11.wav?dl=0

info: LP to 16/44 WAV copy, no DSP applied.
Cosmo's Factory, MFSL (original), cut 11 As long as I can see the light.
Found LP in a $2 beat up bin. Some damage and obviously much played. It washed up fairly nicely.
trackpanel000.jpg

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Have you thought about the Nagaoka line. I am thinking because you are using the Grado you may be limited to a moving magnet.

Edit: Sorry John, reread your original post again, obvious you're not limited to MM. My brother in law has both a Clearaudio and a Dynavector mounted. The Dynavector is softer in its over all presentation, if that's any help.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The Benz will be most lush in the mids imho. Lyra will be least of those you listed with Dynavector half way.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to give the Benz a listen when I can. My dealer carries the line, so maybe I can get him to mount a Glider. I've heard several of the Dynavectors including the 20X2 and XX2 mkII and I could certainly live with either.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi John skip the Dynavector 17D series if you're looking at Dynas house sound. Of all Dynas this is the apple that fell farthest from the tree. Recessive gene? :D I'm not knocking it, it's a great cart. It's just different.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi John, like I said on the other forum, the Glider would be a good possibility for you. However,i wouldn't discount the Lyra Delos. The Delos is a very nice cartridge for the money and you may well like its superb resolution.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
While JackD201 is correct that the Dynavector 17D3 has a more analytical balance than other Dynas, the Te Kaitora Rua also has a unique sound compared to the rest of the line. It was designed with input from their New Zealand distributor and has a very refined but more distant perspective.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
None of the aforementioned -sorry --Koetsu's--- get my vote

Hmm?-- audio.bill--I don't know if I would take Frank Densons "input" as a criteria to sound of the Dynavectors--I'm not a fan of the carts too thin sounding for Moi! but do work well in some systems

Interesting observation nevertheless

BruceB

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
BruceB - I've read that reason for the TKR's unique sound quality vs. their more typical house sound directly from Dynavector. You are correct in that it all comes down to system matching, and that the Koetsus are some of the fullest sounding cartridges. Unfortunately I believe that they're beyond the budget specified by the OP.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
While JackD201 is correct that the Dynavector 17D3 has a more analytical balance than other Dynas, the Te Kaitora Rua also has a unique sound compared to the rest of the line. It was designed with input from their New Zealand distributor and has a very refined but more distant perspective.

Indeed. The TKR is also different. I am an XV-1t fan.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The XV-1t is indeed a great cartridge. They were using one to good effect in the Rockport/ BAT room at Newport. However, the Koetsu's recommended earlier and this Dyna are not in the OP's original budget.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
the prefect under $2k cartridge with a luscious mid range is the Miyajima Takumi. I use the mono Miyajima Premium Be and love it.....and it's sound is very meaty and yet alive and energetic.

the manufacturers website has a very entertaining translation of the Japanese about their products, so you have to use your imagination to understand the meanings.

it's $1895, and sold here by the North American distributor, Rob Yatt. Rob is a good guy and very knowledgeable and very fun to deal with if a bit crazy in a good way. he had a great sounding room at the Newport Show last weekend with rebuilt Quad ESL 57's.

http://www.robyattaudio.com/Otono.htm

the Miyajima's offer great value for your money and play above their price ranges to my ears.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
the Miyajima's offer great value for your money and play above their price ranges to my ears.

Gotta agree with Mike here!
The Benz LP-S is also a fave, but it's 1) way above $2k and 2) hard to find these days... So the Miyajima is a good bet at that price point!

alexandre

Fsonicsmith

Jun 25, 2015
I've owned two Benz Glider S LO's and two Soundsmith Zephyrs. I don't feel either has anything close to what you seem to be looking for, so I essentially am just adding on to what others have said-go elsewhere. I am now a big fan of SS cartridges, but that is largely because the Zephyr mates so well with VPI arms (as it should). I am a bit surprised that one or two here suggested you pursue the Benz's. Not my experience at all. Though I don't have very much experience with it, the current hobby-fave, the Lyra Delos, IMHO offers more lushness in the mids than the Benz Glider. The Glider, at less than $1000 when last available retrieved detail relatively well and had good high end sparkle. It was something of a taxing experience to coax solid bass from it and the lower register of female vocals never stood out for me. They were good, just not lush. The Benz Glider is a sexy looking cartridge (if you like the looks of a hornet festooned in gold) and I believe too many enthusiasts (not a majority, just too many) buy with their eyes first and their ears second.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing