A Visit To The Temple

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
That's my current project Francisco, converting a Neumann VMS-70 with the original Lyrec motor, not Japanese DD stuff, to a record player.

david

David,
Please post some pictures of your progress on that interesting project!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That's my current project Francisco, converting a Neumann VMS-70 with the original Lyrec motor, not Japanese DD stuff, to a record player.

david

Fortunately the one being currently sold over 100k at eBay is fitted with the Technics SP02 - I will not regret it!

Do you think that the tonearm support shown in the photo I posted is a Neumman part or a custom made part?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

david

Well, then you surely will have to make some space! if you are thinking of making room by parting with your Goldmund Ref, please let me know!!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,
Please post some pictures of your progress on that interesting project!

I'll document it Jeff, just got the base and sent it off to the body shop to strip the old paint while deciding what it color it will be next. I'm taking the lathe apart too to have it refinished.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Fortunately the one being currently sold over 100k at eBay is fitted with the Technics SP02 - I will not regret it!

Do you think that the tonearm support shown in the photo I posted is a Neumman part or a custom made part?

Its a Neumann part, I have the same one on mine. It's not substantial enough imo and the location that its mounted makes it susceptible to vibration, I can do better than that. As it is the lathe isn't setup for ultimate playback Francisco, the platter is another part that needs upgrading. The original platter is designed to hold laquer down and isn't ideal to playback records on.

I know the price on these lathes has gone up but $100k is too optimistic specially with a Technics or JVC DD motor. The rarest ones are early Neumanns with all tube electronics and Lyrec motors.

david

PS You see the 3012 is the reference on all these machines ;)!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Well, then you surely will have to make some space! if you are thinking of making room by parting with your Goldmund Ref, please let me know!!

I just saw this Marty, I'll call you later today.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
All lacquers are cut here on one of two Scully lathes - Bernie told me that he much preferred these to the Neumann as it is SOLID. The cutter head is mounted on a huge cast-aluminum arm unlike the Neuman which seems flimsy in comparison. The lathe is mounted on a custom-designed table that is triple-suspended. There is even a cut-out on the floor around the lathe so that footsteps are decoupled.

On the top platform is a custom-manufactured table that is usually used for mounting electron-microscopes. It has a resonance frequency of half-hertz and filters out all frequencies and amplitudes that would affect the cutting integrity.

View attachment 20761

Thank you Gary for sharing this interesting visit and the great pictures! I use the same lab tables under all my tts now I got an idea how to make their cold industrial appearance more wife friendly :)!

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing