A Visit To The Temple

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
As far back as I can remember in my audiophile life, the words "Bernie Grundman Mastering" has been THE mark of quality for great music. I was invited by my good friend Wuti Larnroongroj to visit as he was there to cut the lacquer for the new limited edition Boyd Kosiyabong (Thai language) album - 45rpm, single-sided on six discs!!! To be produced by Brilliance Music & Studios, it will be the first Thai-language album on this ultimate-quality format.

Being located in downtown Hollywood just off Hollywood Blvd (where street parking is almost impossible to find), Bernie Grundman Mastering has their own underground parking. This is the sign that greets you as the garage gate closes and you walk towards the stairs to the office. When I first got there, I couldn't find it as the building did not have any signage outside. I guess if you know, you know.

BGM.jpg

While waiting for Bernie, I took the opportunity to get my picture taken at his "Brag Wall" - not that he needed to do any bragging. This was just a very, very small selection of all the Platinum and Gold discs mastered here.

Brag Wall.jpg

All lacquers are cut here on one of two Scully lathes - Bernie told me that he much preferred these to the Neumann as it is SOLID. The cutter head is mounted on a huge cast-aluminum arm unlike the Neuman which seems flimsy in comparison. The lathe is mounted on a custom-designed table that is triple-suspended. There is even a cut-out on the floor around the lathe so that footsteps are decoupled.

On the top platform is a custom-manufactured table that is usually used for mounting electron-microscopes. It has a resonance frequency of half-hertz and filters out all frequencies and amplitudes that would affect the cutting integrity.

Scully Lathe.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
It was a joy and an honor to watch Bernie Grundman at work. He obviously loves what he does, and it is obvious that he is good at it.

He bops to the music, tapping his foot, bobbing along..... twiddles some knobs, punches some buttons and smiles....... then he said, "Let's go!"

BRG at work.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bernie explained that almost everything in the production chain was designed and built or extensively modified in-house. From the custom built computer that runs the mastering software (down to the power supply and the internal wiring!!), to the console, the lathe drive electronics, the tube amps, and the cutter head. The attention to detail sure shows through on the quality.

Driver amps.jpg

During the cut, Bernie checks each side multiple times to make sure that the grooves look "just right". While we were there, he stopped one laquer halfway through and scratched it up muttering "no good, no good".

Checking it twice.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Once the lacquer is cut, and Bernie is satisfied, he will scratch in the identification numbers using a stylus and either will put in his initials or his complete signature.

He signed all 6 lacquers this time.

Signing the lacquer.jpg

I call this the "Un-Music" - the remnants of the lacquer that gets removed during the cutting process. We started with an empty bottle and it was almost full by the time we finished the 6 lacquers.

Unmusic.jpg

Bernie mastered the original pressing of the album.

Well done!.jpg

This time, Wuti wanted a 6-disc single-sided 45rpm limited edition.

Boyd, Bernie & Wuti.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Boyd Kosiyabong: Songs from Different Scenes #2. Although I don't speak Thai, many of the songs sounded very familiar and all three of us were bobbing along as the lacquer was cut. Wuti sang along! :D

And I got a souvenir shot with my hero!

Bernie & I.jpg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Boyd Kosiyabong: Songs from Different Scenes #2. Although I don't speak Thai, many of the songs sounded very familiar and all three of us were bobbing along as the lacquer was cut. Wuti sang along! :D

And I got a souvenir shot with my hero!

View attachment 20769

Great story Gary. Wonderful photos and you got to shake his hand

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Fantastic report Gary. I can just imagine the great satisfaction that must have come from that visit. Thanks for taking the time to document it for the rest of us. It is always great to see someone completely dedicated to perfecting their craft.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Really nice, thanks!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Really cool Gary. Thanks for sharing.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
As far back as I can remember in my audiophile life, the words "Bernie Grundman Mastering" has been THE mark of quality for great music. I was invited by my good friend Wuti Larnroongroj to visit as he was there to cut the lacquer for the new limited edition Boyd Kosiyabong (Thai language) album - 45rpm, single-sided on six discs!!! To be produced by Brilliance Music & Studios, it will be the first Thai-language album on this ultimate-quality format.

Being located in downtown Hollywood just off Hollywood Blvd (where street parking is almost impossible to find), Bernie Grundman Mastering has their own underground parking. This is the sign that greets you as the garage gate closes and you walk towards the stairs to the office. When I first got there, I couldn't find it as the building did not have any signage outside. I guess if you know, you know.

View attachment 20759

While waiting for Bernie, I took the opportunity to get my picture taken at his "Brag Wall" - not that he needed to do any bragging. This was just a very, very small selection of all the Platinum and Gold discs mastered here.

View attachment 20760

All lacquers are cut here on one of two Scully lathes - Bernie told me that he much preferred these to the Neumann as it is SOLID. The cutter head is mounted on a huge cast-aluminum arm unlike the Neuman which seems flimsy in comparison. The lathe is mounted on a custom-designed table that is triple-suspended. There is even a cut-out on the floor around the lathe so that footsteps are decoupled.

On the top platform is a custom-manufactured table that is usually used for mounting electron-microscopes. It has a resonance frequency of half-hertz and filters out all frequencies and amplitudes that would affect the cutting integrity.

View attachment 20761

Gary, incredible!!!!! Thanks for posting..very enjoyable to read and see the pics!

I have interviewed Bernie Grundman and I found him delightful!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Glad to have you along for the journey!!

Just for the tape curious, here's what Bernie uses for tape. Four Ampex 102's. Why four? Two NAB, two IEC, two 1/4" and two 1/2". Each of the machines can also be re-configured for any other combination.

Ampex 102.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thank you Gary for sharing !!!

It's my honor and pleasure.

Bernie is a joy to be around. His depth of knowledge - in both areas of music and audiophile - is incredible. He was an audiophile before he became a mastering engineer, and his OCD shows. We had a great discussion about coffee, and I ended up leaving with a bag of his favorite espresso beans.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Gary,
Great posts. Thanks.
What gear, particularly speakers, does he use for playback to check the results of his mastering?
Marty

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Almost everything in the studio is custom-made. The speakers are behind a black cloth on the wall in front of him, and all he would say is that they are based on Tannoy. He plays back using the Scully lathe - Custom electronics, including the phono preamp. He's got a solid-state chain and a tube chain. The tonearm is a SME 3012.

As a mastering engineer, it is more important that he knows his playback chain intimately, more so than absolute fidelity. He hears things in the mix that I have no chance of noticing, but at the same time, I hear things that I wouldn't accept in my own designs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Almost everything in the studio is custom-made. The speakers are behind a black cloth on the wall in front of him, and all he would say is that they are based on Tannoy. He plays back using the Scully lathe - Custom electronics, including the phono preamp. He's got a solid-state chain and a tube chain. The tonearm is a SME 3012.

Gary,
Just one detail - it is a SME 3012-R. My dream turntable is a Newmann lathe, I already own the SME. ;)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 145

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Gary,
Just one detail - it is a SME 3012-R. My dream turntable is a Newmann lathe, I already own the SME. ;)

That's my current project Francisco, converting a Neumann VMS-70 with the original Lyrec motor, not Japanese DD stuff, to a record player.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing