Negative show report posts... enough is enough.

leif8660

Jun 20, 2015
We are already seeing the rise of the "private event" at audio shows. I've rarely, if ever, read a scathing listener experience from one of these events.

Hotel rooms are garbage. They can only show gear, not music. It's time to move away from the 150 square foot box.

What makes this any different than someones listening room of equal size? You can get great sound in these rooms and it has to do with set up experience. I myself put large speakers in these small rooms and have excellent sound to the point where I could play the speakers at concert volumes without overloading the room. I believe manufacturers are better at this. If you can't get speakers to sound good in rooms like this than something is wrong. Granted, some hotels room are better than others, but this gives a lot of insight on just how well a speaker is designed. Some speakers just don't work well in small rooms where they are anywhere close to walls. Unfortunately, if you don't already have a larger room booked, chances are you won't get one. So your only option is to show in a smaller room or don't show at all. No matter what the size of the room is, a listener should be able to see clearly into a systems potential. I believe we have been able to do much more than that. Not to mention I have seen large speakers in the larger rooms get destroyed by systems in the smaller rooms. This is the case where bigger isn't always better.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What makes this any different than someones listening room of equal size? You can get great sound in these rooms and it has to do with set up experience. I myself put large speakers in these small rooms and have excellent sound to the point where I could play the speakers at concert volumes without overloading the room. I believe manufacturers are better at this. If you can't get speakers to sound good in rooms like this than something is wrong. Granted, some hotels room are better than others, but this gives a lot of insight on just how well a speaker is designed. Some speakers just don't work well in small rooms where they are anywhere close to walls. Unfortunately, if you don't already have a larger room booked, chances are you won't get one. So your only option is to show in a smaller room or don't show at all. No matter what the size of the room is, a listener should be able to see clearly into a systems potential. I believe we have been able to do much more than that. Not to mention I have seen large speakers in the larger rooms get destroyed by systems in the smaller rooms. This is the case where bigger isn't always better.

His proposed method for holding shows is DOA and we are stuck with the model we have. And yes, many of us have heard great sound at shows in small hotel rooms.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Can we get back to Ice Cream please? The last posts have been off-topic :D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Can we get back to Ice Cream please? The last posts have been off-topic :D

DITTO.

Ice cream and Dulce de Leche doughnuts is a much better subject.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
They had a sale on Breyer's Ice cream....bought 3 tubs!
Pralines and Cream
Heavenly Hash
Vanilla (goes best with Pie).

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
They had a sale on Breyer's Ice cream....bought 3 tubs!
Pralines and Cream
Heavenly Hash
Vanilla (goes best with Pie).

Breyers has very good flavor but their texture is terrible. The air they whip into it ruins it. I hate when ice cream melts on my tongue and I feel the air bubbles breaking on my tongue. It totally ruins the experience.

To improve Breyer's texture, let it stand and get very soft, not quite melted, stir it thoroughly to get rid of all the damned air they whip it. [The volume will have decreased by about a third.] Then re-freeze it, when you are ready to eat it, let it stand several minutes to soften before eating. This will result in a dense creamy texture with excellent flavor. The Breyer bastards whip the air into it for no reason other than to increase the volume and profits. When I was in college, Breyers was much more dense and creamy than it has been in recent decades. If they sold ice cream by weight instead of volume, they couldn't get away with that crap.

Alternatively, you can just get Haagen Dazs and eat it. It's flavorful, dense, creamy and has minimal air in it.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^ Better yet, visit your local artisinal purveyor. Leave the super market crapola alone! Rarely does that not put to shame the typical faux supermarket products.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Breyers has very good flavor but their texture is terrible. The air they whip into it ruins it. I hate when ice cream melts on my tongue and I feel the air bubbles breaking on my tongue. It totally ruins the experience.

To improve Breyer's texture, let it stand and get very soft, not quite melted, stir it thoroughly to get rid of all the damned air they whip it. [The volume will have decreased by about a third.] Then re-freeze it, when you are ready to eat it, let it stand several minutes to soften before eating. This will result in a dense creamy texture with excellent flavor. The Breyer bastards whip the air into it for no reason other than to increase the volume and profits. When I was in college, Breyers was much more dense and creamy than it has been in recent decades. If they sold ice cream by weight instead of volume, they couldn't get away with that crap.

Alternatively, you can just get Haagen Dazs and eat it. It's flavorful, dense, creamy and has minimal air in it.

Hagen Dazs has a few flavors neatly covered ... Their Strawberry is heavenly (IMO , sighted tasting/testing) .
Ben & Jerry is my favorite brand by far. I haven't tasted the Hagen D Artisan line yet ...
As for Breyer, read this: http://www.homemadehints.com/unnatural-breyers-ice-cream/

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Interestng isn't it! We will tweak audio components and spend K's to improve Air and tweak supermarket on sale ice cream tubs to remove Air. Someone up there has a very wry grin!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

If I really want good ice cream I have been buying Magnum and i really it.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Hagen Dazs has a few flavor neatly covered ... Their Strawberry os heavenly (IMO , sighted degustation) . Ben & Jerry is my favorite brand by far. I haven't tasted the Hagen D Artisan line yet ...As for Breyer, read this: http://www.homemadehints.com/unnatural-breyers-ice-cream/

Hagen Daz Chocolate Peanut butter is one of my favorite commercially available flavors.

There seems to be an artisanal ice cream surge this summer. Brooklyn is now being overrun with small producers making excellent ice cream, just as I am figuring out that I may be a little lactose intolerant!!

Best ice cream I have ever had was at the U of Wisc student union. Still the best after 25 years and a follow up visit 5 years ago.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing