Negative show report posts... enough is enough.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Well, we non-expert customers cannot appreciate quality sound, of course, that's not what audiophiles are supposed to do. Audiophiles are only supposed to be the silly suckers whom the manufacturers can rob all their money from by selling them their mega-expensive equipment to, aided by a certain group of reviewers who play into their hand …

[Sarcasm switch off.]

it sure looks that is ever more becoming the case. Didn't use to be that way.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
So, does it take a real "expert" to know that a hotel room is always an awful place to judge the merits of any system? This seems obvious to me. Shows are about people, not gear.

Lately the boards, and I mean all of the boards and the 'zines (as well) have been posting negative show room reports.

I believe this is the lowest of low behavior. It is frankly cowardly, if you don't have anything positive to say then why say anything at all. How would you like it if I was invited into your home and then publically bashed your system?

We all hear differently. We all have biases. By posting a negative report you are in effect elevating yourself as an expert and trust me, you are not an expert. Experts know why rooms have problems, experts know why components get mismatched. Experts know that certain music can make or break a room.

Do these cowards know how hard it is to setup a system in a hotel room in one day?

I've frankly had enough of this behavior.

Peter Breuninger

PS: I will also add to this thread, if you PM me regarding my OP, I will make it public. One coward has already done this and since I did not state this in advance, the cowardly PM will remain private. All future PMs will be made public.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
So, does it take a real "expert" to know that a hotel room is always an awful place to judge the merits of any system? This seems obvious to me. Shows are about people, not gear.

Totally agree. That's the essence of the post.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I would also say that IF one hears a good sounding system at a show, one should say so and thank the folks in the room for finding a unicorn. It hasn't been often that I've even heard a good sounding room at a show. And I've never heard anything approaching the best sounding systems at a show. It doesn't exist.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
I would also say that IF one hears a good sounding system at a show, one should say so and thank the folks in the room for finding a unicorn. It hasn't been often that I've even heard a good sounding room at a show. And I've never heard anything approaching the best sounding systems at a show. It doesn't exist.

Again, totally agree.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
So, does it take a real "expert" to know that a hotel room is always an awful place to judge the merits of any system?

Except when the system sounds really good, as appears to have been the case in a few instances at AXPONA. So if those systems sounded good under those circumstances, then why not others? This should be a valid criticism, even if it is clear that hotel rooms are not optimal by any stretch of the imagination.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Except when the system sounds really good, as appears to have been the case in a few instances at AXPONA. So if those systems sounded good under those circumstances, then why not others? This should be a valid criticism, even if it is clear that hotel rooms are not optimal by any stretch of the imagination.
I can only go by what I've heard and compare it to my own reference. However, if you know a little about room acoustics and wall construction, then it's very easy to know that few, if any, rooms even have a chance to sound good, no matter the setup.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I can only go by what I've heard and compare it to my own reference. However, if you know a little about room acoustics and wall construction, then it's very easy to know that few, if any, rooms even have a chance to sound good, no matter the setup.

Nobody expects a system to sound anywhere as good in a hotel room as in a great listening room, and I did not claim otherwise. But if there are some good sounding rooms as there seem to have been at AXPONA then this is a problem for those that aren't.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Lately the boards, and I mean all of the boards and the 'zines (as well) have been posting negative show room reports.

I believe this is the lowest of low behavior. It is frankly cowardly, if you don't have anything positive to say then why say anything at all. How would you like it if I was invited into your home and then publically bashed your system?

We all hear differently. We all have biases. By posting a negative report you are in effect elevating yourself as an expert and trust me, you are not an expert. Experts know why rooms have problems, experts know why components get mismatched. Experts know that certain music can make or break a room.

Do these cowards know how hard it is to setup a system in a hotel room in one day?

I've frankly had enough of this behavior.

Peter Breuninger

I'm pretty surprised by this post. It seems very strange to me that, as an audio journalist, Peter seems to be asking for censorship.

I emphatically agree with Al M. There is way too much positive commentary in the "official" audio press. Both Show Reports and gear reviews are rarely in depth, rarely comparative, and, more and more, simply extensions of a company's marketing department.

If anything, these forums are opportunities for the non-professional enthusiast to express his opinions, usually unencumbered by commercial interests.

"I've frankly had enough of" the overly positive "reviews" and Show Reports that do surprisingly little to explain how a piece of audio gear actually sounds or compares to similar products. The contrast between the amateur comments in forums and the professional reviewer comments in magazines and videos is really quite stark. I find these forums to be much more informative and frankly, interesting.

I'm also a bit perplexed as to why people expressing their opinions in forums about what they have heard at public audio shows are described as "cowards" and self proclaimed "experts". Do journalists really need to denigrate their readers?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...I am an expert with years of experience with top level audio equipment... I am not a once-in-awhile casual observer.

I'm pretty sure your mbl's (same model as at THE Show, right?) in your house don't sound like the show's, do they? And your room as you have pictured it in the past looks more haphazardly set up and in general not as (potentially) nice as the room at the show.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm pretty surprised by this post. It seems very strange to me that, as an audio journalist, Peter seems to be asking for censorship.

I emphatically agree with Al M. There is way too much positive commentary in the "official" audio press. Both Show Reports and gear reviews are rarely in depth, rarely comparative, and, more and more, simply extensions of a company's marketing department.

If anything, these forums are opportunities for the non-professional enthusiast to express his opinions, usually unencumbered by commercial interests.

"I've frankly had enough of" the overly positive "reviews" and Show Reports that do surprisingly little to explain how a piece of audio gear actually sounds or compares to similar products. The contrast between the amateur comments in forums and the professional reviewer comments in magazines and videos is really quite stark. I find these forums to be much more informative and frankly, interesting.

I'm also a bit perplexed as to why people expressing their opinions in forums about what they have heard at public audio shows are described as "cowards" and self proclaimed "experts". Do journalists really need to denigrate their readers?

Refreshing post.

@Peter Breuninger

What do you expect people to do. Incense any bad sounding product that is shown ? .... Really?

This is about Sound so if in the opinion of someone there is a lack of goodness from a given "sound"... It is fair to comment ... Not too sure where you want to go with this. It looks almost disingenuous.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
This thread is about knee jerk criticism, nothing about censorship. Read the OP.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Not to mention condescending. I mean, why watch the reviews on his site if he thinks so little of his viewers. Not the way I would approach it.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Peter, what is knee jerk about attending a show, sitting down in a room, listening to a presentation, bringing your own music to compare what you have heard before and making a judgment on what you hear? Gee, spending money and the time to listen, to travel to Chicago, or Irvine, DC or Munich for the sole purpose of hearing all this equipment that the audio press waxes poetically about. That is a lot of effort also for us as well. But if we don't like what we hear, it is knee jerk and we should just shut the F up. As my friends in the UK say, BRILLIANT! I am rather tired of the audio press telling me that they know more about good sound than the rest of us. I guess the 30 or 40 concerts I see, jazz and classical , each year, here and in Europe mean nothing as I clearing don't know what I am hearing.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I think Peter's point is valid. The first audio show I went to, I thought I heard many "great" systems. I now know better. It does take some training and experience to know the difference between reference quality and a good hotel room system.

Having said that, I think the negative comments really only reflect poorly on the commentators themselves. In my eyes, they must not have ever heard a really awesome setup.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
I think Peter's point is valid. The first audio show I went to, I thought I heard many "great" systems. I now know better. It does take some training and experience to know the difference between reference quality and a good hotel room system.

Having said that, I think the negative comments really only reflect poorly on the commentators themselves. In my eyes, they must not have ever heard a really awesome setup.

Again, right on. Mission accomplished.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA

Um, no. I guess only positive comments count. I am have heard numerous "reference" systems in homes. Some I loved, others I didn't. I think I have a good handle on what a great system sounds like. If I hear a mega buck system at a show and am not impressed with the sound or actually find it brittle, I guess I should just chalk it up to the room and keep quiet? I think not. I am simply expressing an opinion on what I hear. Good or bad. Again, the point you have made can essentially be boiled down to you know better than the rest of us. The condensation and ego in this thread is amazing. I have learned over the years to take what I read from reviewers with a huge grain of salt. I have heard rooms at shows that I thought were dreadful that reviewers heaped tons of praise on, to the point of calling what I as well as others thought bright and harsh sumptuous.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
"I've frankly had enough of" the overly positive "reviews" and Show Reports that do surprisingly little to explain how a piece of audio gear actually sounds or compares to similar products.

Precisely, I am just as fed-up as you are, Peter. That is why I have blasted one 'professional' review in detail here because I could not take it any longer:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17699-Review-The-Thiel-TM3-Monitor-3498

(Post #10)

The contrast between the amateur comments in forums and the professional reviewer comments in magazines and videos is really quite stark. I find these forums to be much more informative and frankly, interesting.

Indeed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing