May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for the photos, Steve!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks for the visit, and the photos, Steve! Great seeing you (and Ron!)

alex

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Yes, I'm afraid I was passed over on the second allocation wave for the GT3 RS. I could of hung in there till the fall...still no guarantee's, so I spiced things up and decided to trade my 2015 GT3 for a 2014 458 Italia with 950 miles. I pick it up Thursday...pretty excited about it.

Haven't been keeping up with Ferrari models of late, but that looks like a gorgeous screamer! :D

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Yes, I'm afraid I was passed over on the second allocation wave for the GT3 RS. I could of hung in there till the fall...still no guarantee's, so I spiced things up and decided to trade my 2015 GT3 for a 2014 458 Italia with 950 miles. I pick it up Thursday...pretty excited about it.

Sweeet

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Mbl is an interesting speaker. Every time I have ever heard it has been with MBL electronics so I can't comment wrt other electronics but I always sit and enjoy what I heard but Sunday for me was very special listening to that demo tape

Steve thank you for taking the time to take and share the pics, wish I would have gone - see allot of pces I was wanting to see when I attended the RMAF last year but did not attend.

MBL - I owned 6010d pre and 1621 transport for approx. 3-4 years and had on long term loan a pair or the flagship 9011 mono blocks so I'm very familiar. I also tried numerous others and nothing could have prepared me for my first time hearing them being driven by a pair of VAC 450 Statements - absolutely glorious and in my opinion a match made in heaven. I have never heard anything else paired up with them that are in the same universe and that goes for my CAT Sig JL3 MK2 mono blocks.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
This was the first time I have not liked mbl, and I wonder if those clear plastic panels had something to do with it. I didn't go back on Sunday after being disappointed Fri and Sat, so I don't know if it was just me or if the sound was better Sunday. I will say that the only source I heard there was open reel, so that wasn't the issue. I'm still trying to figure out why Steve felt he had to go to Mexico at this particular time of the year? ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This was the first time I have not liked mbl, and I wonder if those clear plastic panels had something to do with it. I didn't go back on Sunday after being disappointed Fri and Sat, so I don't know if it was just me or if the sound was better Sunday. I will say that the only source I heard there was open reel, so that wasn't the issue. I'm still trying to figure out why Steve felt he had to go to Mexico at this particular time of the year? ;)

the weather was great and the surf was up :)

Having said that Rbbert I truly enjoyed the tape I heard on Sunday and I felt vindicated when in the front row Michael Jackson's drummer got up and introduced himself and said it was the best thing he has ever heard. I also commented previously that I have heard these same speakers at shows for countless years and to MBL going back at least 12 years but always played loudly and with MBL electronics. I would love to hear DEV's setup with VAC electronics. My biggest bugaboo about MBL is that I can take my dose of it on an annual basis at the audio shows but after a while I do get fatigue listening to this system. On Sunday however I truly enjoyed it and thought it was far from MP3

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Thanks for the photos Steve. Not quite the same as being there but much appreciated nonetheless..

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
My biggest bugaboo about MBL is that I can take my dose of it on an annual basis at the audio shows but after a while I do get fatigue listening to this system.

Yes I agree when paired up the MBL electronics and numerous others but you not so when driven by the Vac's - I could go on but no sense. I enjoyed them so much that I was looking to purchase a pair of the Extremes and sold my 101's along with my MM3's to assist in financing but unfortunately the deal died due to the seller misrepresenting the actual condition - I flew out of country to find this out which left me not too happy but that's life.

Oh, what is that Sonorus (?) Reel to Reel? Have not heard of the company.

Amir,

SonoruS make a Reel To Reel based on Studer / Revox, with all newly designed / manufactured electronics. One model is playback only - ATR10 and the second offers playback & record ATR12; as used by Yarlung on all of their recordings. We borrowed an ATR 10 along with their Proximity Subwoofer Controller which worked extremely well in augmenting the bass output from the Giya G3, we had a overly square room and used the proximity sub controller to smoothen out the bass across the room - its easier to understand the device as an active room correction device than a subwoofer extending the LF.

Ciao
Phlip

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Thank you for the excellent coverage of the Hi Fi One / Stillpoints room. In the near future I will have the new Tidal Akira's on active display in my Carlsbad showroom.

Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Akira. Are you planning to use them with Berning 211/845 and Wadax? Do you know what the sensitivity and min impedance are for the Akira? Also, have you compared the new version of the Wadax DAC with the previous version without external power supply, and if so, what are the main differences? Roy Gregory from Audio Beat is a HUGE fan of Wadax DAC and reviewed the previous version on their website. It may be his fav DAC. Look forward to your hearing your thoughts on the Akira.

Rick Brown

Aug 13, 2012
Carlsbad, California
www.rbhifi1.com
Briefly, the Akira reminds me of a one way loudspeaker with full range performance. The 5" diamond midrange plays amazingly low paired with a 1.2" diamond tweeter. The crossover cannot be detected by my ears, such is the driver to driver coherence. The midrange driver is built more like a large tweeter than a conventional midrange driver and utilizes a voice coil designed to avoid rear reflection. Moreover, micro dynamic life is horn like combined with speed, transparency to source and most importantly it is a very musical sounding loudspeaker. I believe the Akira represents a seminal moment in moving coil loudspeaker design and execution. I do not have the speakers specifications, but rest assured, the Berning / Hi Fi One 211 amps will sufficiently drive them.

As the the N.A. importer for Wadax, I will defer to Mr. Gregory's upcoming Wadax Ultimate review as the best source to contrast the two units. Suffice to say, the Ultimate is on demo at Hi Fi One.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Many thanks for the feedback and looking forward to hearing more about the Akira once you have them in your room. Good to know Roy will be reviewing the Wadax Ultimate in the near future. He was also very impressed with the Tidal room at Munich.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Briefly, the Akira reminds me of a one way loudspeaker with full range performance. The 5" diamond midrange plays amazingly low paired with a 1.2" diamond tweeter. The crossover cannot be detected by my ears, such is the driver to driver coherence. The midrange driver is built more like a large tweeter than a conventional midrange driver and utilizes a voice coil designed to avoid rear reflection. Moreover, micro dynamic life is horn like combined with speed, transparency to source and most importantly it is a very musical sounding loudspeaker. I believe the Akira represents a seminal moment in moving coil loudspeaker design and execution. I do not have the speakers specifications, but rest assured, the Berning / Hi Fi One 211 amps will sufficiently drive them.

As the the N.A. importer for Wadax, I will defer to Mr. Gregory's upcoming Wadax Ultimate review as the best source to contrast the two units. Suffice to say, the Ultimate is on demo at Hi Fi One.

Hi Rick,

Would you mind to place your comments on the Tidal Akira also in the special thread that is dedicated to this speaker? Possibly members who might be interested in this speaker are going to miss your comments in this thread. Btw, I understand your enthusiasm as I have heard the Akira and LA loudspeakers at the Tidal factory and I believe Jörn has created something (very) special with his latest speakers. Party because the diamond midrange drivers are (likely to be) something extraordinary.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing