T.H.E. Show at Newport Review

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
First, I have to say this is one of the best shows I've been to in the past 15 years. The Hotel Irvine was a fabulous location, it wasn't an AARP convention, and the rooms clearly were a step up from previous efforts at the dingy hotel(s) near the airport (both in size and function). The music vendor room was the largest in years and was crowded every time I went in. The show's organizers were hoping for 10,000 people- I'm not sure they got there, but it was a very large crowd. Saturday rooms were packed, but to put this in perspective, there were 9 floors each with approximately 15-20 rooms. That is a ton of rooms! I toured with friends and new audiophiles on Saturday and rarely got a sweet spot. Sunday was pretty dead in the morning at least, which allowed me to cruise at will and the rooms sounded best. Going on Friday is a total waste of time imo, but did hear it was quite crowded. I was hearing all weekend how this show may now be the premier version in the US and fully agree. If you haven't been to Newport, fully recommend coming next year. It’s worth the effort and the sonic rewards were large.

Media was mostly server this year, so my demo disc was a doorstop (last year when I brought my flash drive, they were all cdps go figure). Analog was in a ton of rooms- some folks were saying Axpona was the opposite. Overall, the sound was much better than prior years. Fewer complaints from people and representatives alike. My LP that was getting raves for demos was Blake Mills "Heigh Ho"- at least 20 people took pictures or shazam'd it. Exceptional, fresh music and impeccable production work from Oceanway.

So who delivered the sonic goods? I expect to hear differences of opinion and that's cool. Please note, I couldn’t hear everything folks- the show was that big. There are several rooms for instance that I just skipped as I have never liked them. Sorry, Vandersteen/ARC. Also, I noticed that most of the better rooms had more efficient speakers- I value dynamics with good tone so that’s my preference.

Sounds I liked:

Evolution Acoustics MM2s w/ xover towers/DarTZeel: Simply stunning in every way. Musical with superb resolution. i forgot to ask Kevin how much the external xovers added to the mix, but hearing the EAs finally in a big room was the show's highlight. Extremely hard to leave the sweet spot chair :)

Vivid G3s/Luxman: maybe a hair warm in parts, but eminently enjoyable. The G3s were supplemented with subs I believe. I feel Vivids pair much better with Luxman than Mola Mola that Philip has demo’d with before.

Spendor/Jadis: for 6.5k, this speaker was quite good sounding and the Jadis integrated was drop dead gorgeous. Low end frequency limited, but quite nice, lively sound. they manufacture all drivers themselves including the new tweeter and don't build cabinets in China. go figure these days!

Salk/Lampi: Jim Salk has gone in a different direction with this higher efficiency speaker and was rewarded. Very open, musical sound for 12k. As far as how much the Lampi influence was? I wouldn’t pretend to know.

YG Sonya/Audiomax: more on the analytical side of the spectrum, but very enjoyable sound and the best I’ve heard YGs. Note, they biamped the Sonjas and I felt it really added dynamic life to them.

Sounds I disliked:

Magico S5/Soulution- it didn't matter that it was in a cavern room, but this was cold, lifeless sound in every conceivable fashion. I could forgive the bass and spatial cues because of the room, but there was zero tonality.

Marten Coltrane/various amps- they were bright and etched in the midrange. Heard them in two rooms and clearly can't understand the appeal.

Rethm- didn't seems like any highs and the bass was really wooly/funny. I thought the Trenner & Friedl and Voxativ speakers were much better in high-efficiency speaker land at the show.

Other snippets...

S5s on Rowland was better tonally, but wasn’t dynamic nor particularly exciting…Kaiser certainly was luscious sound, but they were playing a boring Krall tape so I couldn’t fully judge…Carmels on D’agostino was a great combo…Sonicflare’s Wilson/Einstein room was always packed and played Star Wars- kaboom!...TechDas looks like the Death Star in person :) …I feel like I’m hearing, not only viewing a cabinet with Harbeth…Audeze makes great headphones although I found the new, more inexpensive one bright…Viva's headphone amp with Gary Koh was a fun few minutes of figuring out i don't like headphones!...slickest device that I lust for has to be Astell & Kern even though I don’t play music on the go…surprised how many audiophiles asked for vocals (get over it people)…

Last edited:
First, I have to say this is one of the best shows I've been to in the past 15 years. The Hotel Irvine was a fabulous location, it wasn't an AARP convention, and the rooms clearly were a step up from previous efforts at the dingy hotel(s) near the airport (both in size and function). The music vendor room was the largest in years and was crowded every time I went in. The show's organizers were hoping for 10,000 people- I'm not sure they got there, but it was a very large crowd. Saturday rooms were packed, but to put this in perspective, there were 9 floors each with approximately 15-20 rooms. That is a ton of rooms! I toured with friends and new audiophiles on Saturday and rarely got a sweet spot. Sunday was pretty dead in the morning at least, which allowed me to cruise at will and the rooms sounded best. Going on Friday is a total waste of time imo, but did hear it was quite crowded. I was hearing all weekend how this show may now be the premier version in the US and fully agree. If you haven't been to Newport, fully recommend coming next year. It’s worth the effort and the sonic rewards were large.

Media was mostly server this year, so my demo disc was a doorstop (last year when I brought my flash drive, they were all cdps go figure). Analog was in a ton of rooms- some folks were saying Axpona was the opposite. Overall, the sound was much better than prior years. Fewer complaints from people and representatives alike. My LP that was getting raves for demos was Blake Mills "Heigh Ho"- at least 20 people took pictures or shazam'd it. Exceptional, fresh music and impeccable production work from Oceanway.

So who delivered the sonic goods? I expect to hear differences of opinion and that's cool. Please note, I couldn’t hear everything folks- the show was that big. There are several rooms for instance that I just skipped as I have never liked them. Sorry, Vandersteen/ARC. Also, I noticed that most of the better rooms had more efficient speakers- I value dynamics with good tone so that’s my preference.

Sounds I liked:

Vivid G3s/Luxman: maybe a hair warm in parts, but eminently enjoyable. The G3s were supplemented with subs I believe. I feel Vivids pair much better with Luxman than Mola Mola that Philip has demo’d with before.

Keith,

This was our first year at Hotel Irvine and while I chose a 5/600 sq ft room, I was concerned the room was overly square (approx 24 x 27 x 8'), so I opted to borrow a SonoruS proximity subwoofer controller managing an Eclipse TD520SW. The SonoruS augments the LF from the speakers, not extending the LF, but smoothening the bass across the room. I myself was pleased that the bass perfromance was quite linear across the room. The room was still a little plummy in the midrange, but overall was pretty decent sound for a conference room at a Hotel.

In retrospect, I was glad we showed with the diminutive Giya G3 rather than the G2 or even G1; the flag ship speakers I really prefer to show in a well dialed-in room.

Many thanks for your support

Philip

Computer Audiophile concurred with our decision - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/648-show-newport-day-3/

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Thank you Keith for the comments and opinions--Yes the EA Rooms always sound good--you have fine ears so your postings always attract my attention.I have attended 3 shows at the old venues --unfortunately could not make it this year.

I trust access for you was improved ,or satisfactory in this new setup?

Thanks again and good listening

BruceD

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My room highlights at the show were the Vivid/Luxman room as well as the Salk/Lampi room.

I spent a good deal of time with Philip listening to the G3's with tape and digital sources. The Vivid's were as natural and coherent as ever. You wouldn't think the G3's would be able to fill up a room that size, but it certainly was.

The Salk/Lampi room that I heard was just the best digital possible. I wasn't too familiar with the electronics/speakers, so trying to gauge what the Lampi was doing is just a crap shot. But you can certainly tell when a digital system does something bad. The Salk/Lampi room was another Oasis that I could sit and listen to for a long time!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Nice write-up, Keith. Since we touched base a few times during the show I'm not surprised by any of your opinions and pretty much agree (except I was less impressed by the Einstein/Wilson room). I also was pleasantly surprised by the Avantgarde Zero (in two rooms) which impressed me a lot within its volume limits, not "horny" at all.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
...G1; the flag ship speakers I really prefer to show in a well dialed-in room.

Computer Audiophile concurred with our decision - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/648-show-newport-day-3/

My spouse, Sonny, and I were privileged to hear these magnificent loudspeakers with flagship Luxman mono amps over THE Show weekend at Philip's. Phenomenal! :cool: Philip had asked about the DALI MegaLine III in comparison. We've never had the support, e.g., amplification/watts and room volume, to realize the MegaLine III's potential; however, at -3 dB at 35 Hz, it may not resolve the lowest frequencies without augmentation by a subwoofer, even if ample watts and room volume were present.

Should one ever have the opportunity to hear the Giya G1, please avail yourself of it -- you shant forget it. :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
One of the few brands I hear sounding good at shows is YG.

It would have been fabulous to have presented these loudspeakers with valve amplification -- Tenor would have been quite interesting. :)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks for the kind words about our room, Keith (YG/D'Agostino). Challenging rooms, but I think we got decent sound in the end...

Also thanks for the WBF folks who stopped by and said hi :D

Oh, I barely had time to take pics, but here are a few...

IMG_4305.jpg
IMG_4306.jpg
IMG_4308.jpg
IMG_4309.jpg

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
TAS Reporters

Jim Hannon's Best of Show:

Best Sound (cost no object):
The Audio Element room featuring the new Wilson Sabrina speakers driven by VTL Signature Series electronics, dCS Vivaldi, Grand Prix Monaco 1.5 turntable system, and Peter McGrath’s brilliant recordings was harmonically rich and lifelike.

Best Sound (for the money):
A tie between the very spacious and natural-sounding Magnepan system with three Maggie .7 speakers ($1400/pair) driven by Bryston electronics, and the Emerald Physics KC 11 open-baffle loudspeaker driven by an EP100.2SE 100Wpc hybrid digital amplifier.

Most Significant Product Introduction
: The all-Kyron system ($112k including cables) features an open-baffle dipole speaker with a DSP crossover and room correction, and a separate electronics unit sporting six 1200-watt amplifiers. The presentation was very dynamic, open, and spacious with a lot of direct sound.

Most Significant Trend:
Better sounding digital loudspeakers with built-in DACs and DSP, and more digital functionality in integrated amplifiers.

Most Coveted Product:
The EnigmaAcousticsSopranino add-on super tweeter in the Robyatt Audio room helped make the original Quads, restored by Electrostatic Solutions and driven by DNM electronics and cables, one of the best sounds at THE Show.

Neil Gader's Best of Show

Best Sound (cost no object): A close call, if not a dead heat, between the balance and delicacy of Audio Element’s dCS/VTL/Transparent/Wilson Sabrina-based system, and the heft and dynamics of GTT Audio’s Kronos/Audionet/Kubala-Sosna/YG Sonja 1.3 rig.

Best Sound (for the money)
: Former TAD helmer Andrew Jones is already working his renowned magic just months after joining Germany’s Elac. If the modest Debut B5 loudspeaker represents the shape of things to come, watch out! Price: $229. (Yes, that’s right, the price is NOT a typo.)

Most Significant Product Introduction
: The resurgent Elac brand, an old-guard German company with concentric-driver engineer Andrew Jones at the helm could be the story of the year. I can’t wait for CES 2016.

Most Significant Trend
: The trend is moving inexorably toward streaming music and wireless connectivity, but I’m doubtful these will displace more traditional physical audio media anytime soon. Much like Amazon’s Kindle was supposed to spell the end of the hardbound book, traditional books are cool again. Just like the vinyl LP.

Most Coveted Product
: D’Agostino’s new Momentum Phono. I don’t even care if it even works. I’ll just sit there for hours staring at its sublime gorgeousness.

Paul Seydo's Best of Show:

Best of Show (cost no object): A toss-up between (1) the VTL room with Wilson Audio Sabrinas ($15k/pr., maybe the most natural-sounding Wilsons I’ve heard) driven by VTL electronics playing some of Peter McGrath’s fabulous private recordings; and (2) Optimal Enchantment’s room featuring
Vandersteen Model Seven Mk IIs driven by Vandersteen’s new M7-HPA amps with Audio Research front end and Basis Audio’s Inspiration turntable and arm.

Emerald Physics KCII speaker system ($2495/pr.) driven by Emerald’s EP100.2SE amplifier and Anti-Mode’s Dual 2.0 as preamp playing CDs from a modest Marantz player. This demo featured among the most involving overall sound that I heard at the show.

Most Significant Product Introduction:
Vincent Rossi’s LIO modular integrated amplifier.

Most Significant Trend:
Lots of zero feedback in amplifiers and more transformers in for mc’s in phonostages.

Most Coveted Product
: Air Force 1 turntable with Graham Phantom Elite tonearm

Robert Harley's Best of Show:

Best Sound (Cost no object): As good as many systems sounded, my vote for Best of Show goes to the Optimal Enchantment room with Vandersteen Model 7 Mk.II speakers driven by Vandersteen’s radical new liquid-cooled M7-HPA amplifiers. Credit also goes to the Audio Research phonostage and preamp, Basis Inspiration turntable (with the Basis Super Arm), and AudioQuest cabling.

The Andrew-Jones-designed Elac Debut B6 ($229 per pair—that’s not a misprint) may not only be the greatest bargain at the Newport show, but may turn out to be the greatest bargain in the history of audio. This tiny econo-box was spectacularly, stunningly, amazingly great for the price. I can’t wait to hear the higher-end speakers Jones is developing for Elac.

Most Significant Trend:
Powered DSP speakers were once a rarity, but more companies are embracing this approach including outstanding demos at this show from Piraes Audio, Kyron Audio, Legacy, Goldmund, Dynaudio, and of course Meridian, which pioneered the technology in 1990.

Most Significant Product:
The Kyron Audio Kronos represents a rethinking of system architecture as well as a loudspeaker design. With its six channels of amplification and DSP in one chassis, and a pair of open-baffle dipole speakers, the Kyron active Kronos system sounded fabulous, making a bold visual statement that shook up the conventional paradigm.

Most Coveted Product:
After hearing such great sound from the Acapella Audio Arts Atlas and Avantgarde DUO Mezzo horn loudspeakers, I can hear the manifold virtues of horns.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Typical close to worthless TAS reporting. At least one of them noted the amazing value ELAC speaker. I will also say that I skipped the VTL/Wilson room on Sunday but was unimpressed (to say the least) Fri and Sat.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Typical close to worthless TAS reporting. At least one of them noted the amazing value ELAC speaker. I will also say that I skipped the VTL/Wilson room on Sunday but was unimpressed (to say the least) Fri and Sat.

I have to agree with you and I am a Wilson lover. The room just didn't sound as good as Luke has had it in the past

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
+1.... felt the Alexia room was better sounding.

me too

I did agree with Harley that the Vandersteen/ARC/Basis room was terrific. Not sure it was my favorite but in my top 5

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
missed both Sabrina/Alexia rooms. All i heard Wilson-wise was Danny Kaey's Sonicflare room. I really dig the Einstein gear he had in there, although it has become very expensive.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This was my first T.H.E. Show and I had an amazing time!

The most fun part for me was talking with equipment designers, manufacturers' representatives and professional reviewers and getting inside scoops and hearing their extemporaneous opinions on equipment! I enjoyed asking Michael Fremer, Robert Harley and David Robinson questions I had carried around for years.

In no particular order the Vivid Giya G3 room (thank you, Steve, for introducing me to Philip!), the Evolution Acoustics/DartZeel/Wave Kinetics room, the Audio Element Alexias/Aesthetix room and the Optimal Enchantment Vandersteen/Audio Research/Basis Audio Inspiration/Superarm 9 room were my favorites.

I also liked very much the new Martin-Logan Neoliths, but no room without analog can make my favorites list.

Finally, it was fun to meet several other WBF members, including c1ferrari, rbbert and Mike Lavigne!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010

Rob,

My sonic appraisal, fwiw, parallels yours, Steve's, and perhaps, Bruce's, too. I don't have a recollection of the Alexia room.
Reflecting further upon the YG room, I should like to have heard them through Atma-Sphere gear, too. :p

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Ron,

It was fun meeting you, too. :D

This was a great show for many reasons: many good to great-sounding rooms, modern and beautiful venue with places indoors and out just to chill, and the food...my spouse and I quite enjoyed -- Eats Nicoise and Eats Burger! :)

Ultimately, the greatest reward was connecting with friends from the world of audio. :p

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
If Amir's posts in the other thread on subjective blind listening tests are correct, then in order for reviewers to truly and correctly assess the "best sound in show" they need to be blindfolded and led by the hand to each room and not be told the brand names they are listening to.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
This was my first T.H.E. Show and I had an amazing time!

The most fun part for me was talking with equipment designers, manufacturers' representatives and professional reviewers and getting inside scoops and hearing their extemporaneous opinions on equipment! I enjoyed asking Michael Fremer, Robert Harley and David Robinson questions I had carried around for years.

In no particular order the Vivid Giya G3 room (thank you, Steve, for introducing me to Philip!), the Evolution Acoustics/DartZeel/Wave Kinetics room, the Audio Element Alexias/Aesthetix room and the Optimal Enchantment Vandersteen/Audio Research/Basis Audio Inspiration/Superarm 9 room were my favorites.

I also liked very much the new Martin-Logan Neoliths, but no room without analog can make my favorites list.

Finally, it was fun to meet several other WBF members, including c1ferrari, rbbert and Mike Lavigne!

Ron,

it was likewise a pleasure meeting you at Newport. good luck on your decisions.

best regards,

Mike

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing