Madfloyd's System

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
While I've been participating on this forum for years and have posted photos and details before, it's time for my official gallery thread.

It feels like it's been a long journey to get where I am now. I've been though many pairs of speakers (Mirage, Von Schweikert, Dynaudio, Genesis, Aerial, several Wilson and Magico models), preamps (ARC Ref 3 & 5, BAT Rex, Joule, Doshi Alaap, H20 Fire, Pass XP-10/20/30, Lamm L2 Reference, Audio Valve Eclipse, Parasound JC2), amps (Spectron, BAT, Theta, Bryston, Mark Levinson, Moon Audio, VTL, Lamm, Doshi, Pass XA100.5, Pass XA160.5, etc), phono stages (Manley, Aesthetix, Tron), DACs (Logitech, Berkley, Antelope Zodiac, EMM Labs, Playback Designs, Lumin, etc.). Many of these were wonderful products that either didn't synergize with my other gear (and taste) or was owned/auditioned when I had my system in a problematic room. They all taught me something and overall it's been a good (albeit expensive) experience.

My musical tastes is primary classic and progressive rock, jazz (50's to current) and classical (50's to current). I think I often listen with both sides of my brain, dissecting musical passages or following specific instrumentation while being moved emotionally. I'm very picky about sound: I need to have all the instruments separated and really hate a muddy low end that obscures the midrange, but I also can't stand a system that is bright or overly aggressive in the highs. I have learned that I dislike coloration - at least on acoustic instruments as much as I dislike distortion. I really enjoy a 3D soundstage - it totally engages me when I can almost see musicians and their instruments in a deep soundstage. I am an amateur musician who likes to tinker with playing several instruments and recording in my tiny home studio, but my favorite instrument is bass so it's important to me to have a system that has articulate bass.

I have learned a ton from folks on this forum (and others) as well as local audiophiles who have guided me throughout the past several years. I still have tons to learn and that helps to keep this hobby interesting.

While I can't say "I've arrived" or "I'm done" I feel I am getting very close. I think my system is sounding very good - something I don't think I would have said even a few months ago and I'm no longer be embarrassed to let people hear it.

Here are some pics of my system and listening environment (with a few captions here and there):

My speakers are Magico M-Projects and my listening room is also a family room that is adjacent to the kitchen.
From listening chair - small.jpg
Left speaker - kitchen.JPG

The Magico M-Projects are magnificent. I get a full, rich, textured, but open & detailed sound that I haven't experienced with any other speaker. It is incredibly clean and never sounds congested. The tweeter doesn't call attention to itself at all and while I wouldn't describe the sound as dark in any way, it's certainly not aggressive. With a proper source the amount of detail that oozes out of these speakers naturally is amazing.

Here is my rack and the (messy!) listening area
Listening and rack.JPG

I listen from the middle of the couch
Listening chairs.JPG

My 2nd favorite spot to listen from is the kitchen - it's about 90% as satisfying to listen from there - the sound carries (and remains fairly well balanced) from there - something that is important to me (and my wife, who luckily for me, has developed a significant appreciation for good sound).
Listening from Kitchen.JPG

(more in next post)

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I am currently using Pass XA-160.8's which do a fair job of driving the M-Projects...
Pass amps.JPG

My analog source is the fabulous Kronos Pro Limited Edition with Black Beauty tonearm. Currently employing a Dynavector XV-1t cartridge.
Kronos.JPG

I recently acquired the Kronos (May 7th to be exact) - after reading about it, drooling over its wonderful appearance and then hearing it at Axpona. Previously I had a TW Acustic with a Triplanar arm and the difference that the Kronos made was astounding. I'm still in the honeymoon phase and I don't think it will ever end - almost every LP I play on this device sounds unbelievably good.

Preamp is Pass XS-pre and the phono stage is a Pass XP-25
Pass electronics.JPG

The XP-25 power supply doesn't fit on my rack (pictured beside a Shunyata Typhon):
Pass XP25 power and Shunyata Typhon.JPG

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
For digital I use a CAPS v3 running Windows 8.1 with JRiver. I use JRemote on various devices (iPad, iPhone, Samsung Note 3) to browse and play music.
CAPS v3.JPG

This PC is fan-less so it's silent and has been trouble free for years. When I need to do something with it, I remote desktop into it (that way I don't need a monitor in my listening room).

My DAC is in-flux. What I currently own is a Playback Designs MPD-5 but I'm looking to make a change. I'm currently auditioning an MSB Analog and will try a Lampizator B7 shortly.

My cabling is Viero. I'm shocked at what a difference these cables have made. I was using MIT previously but the Viero have, along with the M-Projects and my Kronos/Black Beauty analog setup, transformed my system.
Viero speaker cables.JPG

I'm currently using Viero Level 3 speaker cables and Level 3 power cables on the amps:
Viero cables.JPG

Viero plug.JPG

I'm also using Viero Level 3 balanced interconnect between my phono stage and my preamp.

I can't say enough about Viero. I had never heard of these cables before a review by Myles Astor. Up until now I hadn't found a cable that didn't color the sound - apart from MIT. Unfortunately the MIT cables were a bit of a weak link in my system. That may be because I didn't have their top of the line (I had SHD 90 speaker cables and MA-X interconnects) but they sounded thin and aggressive to my ears. Viero cables sound full, extremely detailed, but with proper timbre and a very natural sound. They aren't cheap, but they aren't stupid expensive either. Surprisingly they are 98% silver but don't sound tipped up in the highs due to Devis Viero's proprietary geometry.

I have ordered more Viero cables (8m interconnect, phono cable, and more power cables) and I'll update this thread when I've heard them in my system. I'm very optimistic...

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I love LPs. I like to have them close to the listening area (mostly because I'm lazy) so I have to get inventive of where I store them. For fun I thought I'd include some photos.

I have both re-issues and originals. My 33 RPMs of classical and jazz are just up the stairs from my rack:
Classical 33s.JPG

Jazz 33s.JPG

I have a fair amount of 45 RPM classical and jazz as well as some box sets:
Classical and Jazz 45s.JPG

And of course behind the couch works well too...
LPs behind couch.JPG

Of course I have many others downstairs so I do get some exercise...

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
(reserved for future)

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Beautiful system ! I bet it sounds as good as it looks.

I've been following your quest for many years.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Such a wonderful system, Ian, from top to bottom. I know how hard you have worked in recent months to get any issues ironed out. I want to wish you a heartfelt congratulations for getting to a happy place. And beautiful photos, thanks for posting!

Best,
Ken

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Beautiful system and nice and comfortable place to listen to it. Very nice to read people's stories and path they took to get here.

Somewhere, some place though, there is a mechanical engineer who designed that quadplex outlet, having a heart attack at the amount of cantilevered weight with those four heavy cords hanging from it! :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The The - Soul Mining boxset! That alone qualifies as a +10!:D

Beautiful system and lovely home!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well done Ian, finally! I bet the journey has been fun, albeit frustrating. You may have mep to thank for the Vieros...

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations ! I've been following you as well...I might want a sip of the scotch soon...nice collection !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats, MadFloyd...great, great news. And looking back over the last 3 years or so, man, has your system really evolved or what? Fantastic! Enjoy!!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
No journey to well sorted sound is an easy journey...looks like you have done well. Congrats. Sit back and enjoy. I find it quite pleasurable not spending more money on the stereo....I can spend it on cars now...lol

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Wow Ian, you have a great system and home. Congratulations. I can imagine how nice it is to sit back and enjoy the system now that the bugs are worked out. Enjoy.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have had the privilege to listen to Ian's system. It is the best that I have ever heard.

First, it is the one system that I have heard that is equally convincing both on large scale and on small scale music. I personally have minimonitors, which can portray small scale very well. Yet realistic large scale is more of an issue. On the other hand, usually the large speakers I have heard can throw a large soundstage on orchestral recordings, but lack the ability to portray small scale music, say, a string quartet, in a convincing manner. I have heard one large speaker elsewhere that was almost there, but not quite. Yet Ian's system can do it all: throw a large soundstage on orchestral music and portray the music with incredible energy as well (that energy is unique to large speakers), and on the other hand portray small-scale music just like the best minimonitors, with very intimate size -- yet without any exaggeration of pinpoint imaging -- and with appropriately toned-down energy. If there ever was an all-round system in that regard, this is it in my view. I am not saying there are not possibly other systems out there with similar qualities in this regard, but this is the only one that I have heard that can do it -- this ability to portray both large-scale and small-scale music equally convincingly, if it exists elsewhere, must be quite rare. Both micro- and macro-dynamics are fantastic: in chamber music there is very fine-graded dynamic agility, and orchestral music, while it also has that agility, is presented with enormous dynamic slam when asked for.

Second, orchestral music on some vinyl has such an incredible timbral richness and resolution in all orchestral sections, with stand-outs being the strings and brass, as I have never heard before from any system, not by a long shot. Yes, there is still a considerable gap between Ian's system and the timbres of a real orchestra, but that gap has been narrowed to an extent that is simply unbelievable. It is shocking. Now that I have experienced the difference with other systems (including mine, obviously) in this regard, it is very hard for me to see how other speaker designs can approach such timbral resolution and richness. That disappearing tweeter and the lightness and stiffness of the midrange driver in the Magico M Project, in an unbelievably coherent whole with each other and the bass drivers, all incapsulated in an highly non-resonant casing, seem to me the one technical way to achieve this. A little resonance of the cabinet, and all the timbral richness, which crucially depends on a filigree-like preservation of all those complex timbral harmonics and overtones, is bound to be degraded to some extent. This timbral richness goes far beyond any conceptions of warmth or 'golden glow' in the midrange, it is simply something else entirely. And in terms of midrange fullness, Ian's set-up now is absolutely impressive and spot-on. Obviously, the Pass amps have a big role to play in delivering all those goods, and they drive the M Projects effortlessly.

Chamber music on vinyl through Ian's system features the most naturally detailed solo violin sound that I have heard thus far. The last time, when he already had the Kronos turntable in his system, I was at first disappointed with chamber music: the sound was natural, but there was detail missing. Then it turned out that Ian had forgotten to switch back the Viero cable from a more ordinary one, and voilà, once he did the magic was all there. In fact, every time Ian switched another cable for a Viero, it was significant improvement, so I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment of the Viero cables.

Hearing vinyl through Ian's system, especially now with the Kronos turntable, makes me very partial towards vinyl -- and I say that even though I have an all-digital system. The resolution is just so phenomenal. Ian is searching for the ideal DAC, and last time I heard two DACs, the Playback Designs and the MSB Analog, but next to the Kronos table it will not be an easy task to find a DAC that matches the system. Good luck, Ian. And congratulations with your outstanding system!

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing