Which alpha PC to buy for Aurender N100H?

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
My previous post was "Which Sigmas to buy for my Audio Research gear" and received great advice from the forum. In the end I went with 2x Sigma Analog to power my ARC REF DAC and Reference 75. One word: superb.

I now bought an Aurender N100H and am in doubt which PC of the Shunyata Alpha series to choose. The Aurender is a digital source alright, but it has a linear power supply (not the switch-mode power supply that the other Aurenders have). Am I right that this means an Alpha Analog and not Digital? Am I correct that the deciding factor is the sort of power supply and not so much the sort of product?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
My previous post was "Which Sigmas to buy for my Audio Research gear" and received great advice from the forum. In the end I went with 2x Sigma Analog to power my ARC REF DAC and Reference 75. One word: superb.

I now bought an Aurender N100H and am in doubt which PC of the Shunyata Alpha series to choose. The Aurender is a digital source alright, but it has a linear power supply (not the switch-mode power supply that the other Aurenders have). Am I right that this means an Alpha Analog and not Digital? Am I correct that the deciding factor is the sort of power supply and not so much the sort of product?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#1 Alpha HC (if cost is not factor)
#2 Alpha Digital

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
#1 Alpha HC (if cost is not factor)
#2 Alpha Digital

Thank you Caelin. However, I am a little confused by your answer. I had always thought that the HC cables should power high current devices. For music: mainly amplifiers. The Aurender is a digital music player with a 35W linear power supply. I know little about electricity, but I had thought either the Analog or Digital PC.

Perhaps you suggested the HC for other reasons?

Earlier on I read your advice to another forum member where you suggested buying an Alpha Analog for an Ayre QB9 DAC. As I would suspect such a device to draw similar current, and as that also has a linear power supply, I had thought that the Analog PC would be the way to go here too.

Could you pls explain this a little further? Thank you very much for your dedication to this forum. It has helped out more than once.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thank you Caelin. However, I am a little confused by your answer. I had always thought that the HC cables should power high current devices. For music: mainly amplifiers. The Aurender is a digital music player with a 35W linear power supply. I know little about electricity, but I had thought either the Analog or Digital PC.

Perhaps you suggested the HC for other reasons?

Earlier on I read your advice to another forum member where you suggested buying an Alpha Analog for an Ayre QB9 DAC. As I would suspect such a device to draw similar current, and as that also has a linear power supply, I had thought that the Analog PC would be the way to go here too.

Could you pls explain this a little further? Thank you very much for your dedication to this forum. It has helped out more than once.

First, any and all of the cables will work very good on any component. Which filter version is used will have subtle differences. But subtle differences is what defines the high-end.

I don't know who recommended the Alpha Analog for an Ayre DAC but that wouldn't be my first choice.

The Alpha Analog and Alpha Digital retail for the same price while the Alpha HC is 25% more costly. For some people and when multiple cables are used in a system, that 25% can be significant. However, if cost is not an issue for you, the Alpha HC will perform better than either the Digital or Analog version on most components regardless of the component type. The superior DTCD performance of HC cable can outweigh the differences in filter types even with components that are not amplifiers.

BTW, these guidelines are different for the Sigma Series. In the Sigma Series I would definitely recommend the Sigma Digital cable.

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
Caelin, thanks once again. This is a link to the page with earlier discussion about which cable to choose for the Ayre DAC.
http://www.audioaficionado.org/shunyata-research/25991-shunyata-typhon-cables-incoming.html.

Based upon your recommendations, I would now think that the Ayre DAC and Aurender seem to be best off with the HC PCs. I think I can still return the (unused) Analog PC and go for the HCs instead, or a HC / Digital combination. Thanks.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Caelin, thanks once again. This is a link to the page with earlier discussion about which cable to choose for the Ayre DAC.
http://www.audioaficionado.org/shunyata-research/25991-shunyata-typhon-cables-incoming.html.

Based upon your recommendations, I would now think that the Ayre DAC and Aurender seem to be best off with the HC PCs. I think I can still return the (unused) Analog PC and go for the HCs instead, or a HC / Digital combination. Thanks.

Just remember that these are general recommendations based upon type of component and type of power supply. We have a large database of first hand experience and customer feedback with other components as time has gone by. I am sure you would be happy with the HC or Digital cable. The Analog cable should be fine but the other two should sound better.

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
Great that you / your company are so approachable and available for advice. It is not only the quality of the product that makes loyal customers...!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing