Spectral Power Cables: your experience or any suggestion ?

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Hi All,
I'm about to test some power cables for my DMA200 S2 and DMC 15-SS (and for my Analog DAC). Due to narrow my search, I'm asking you about your experience and suggestions for connecting the amp and the preamp.
I read some old comments about Elrod and Nordost. One of my need is cable flexibility and Elrod is too much rigid: after connecting the mains plug to the machine, a 90° angle is needed after some centimeters. Unfortunately Shunyata seems not so much flexible too.
Actually I'm using Furutech FP-3TS20 on all equipments but I don't know if it can be considered good or not, due to lack of comparison with other competitors.

So... brands and models to suggest for a try ?
Thanks in advance, Max

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You may need to use 90-degree adapters in order to try various power cords, like these

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-252-audioquest-iec-90-degree-adapter-version-1-center-pin-down.aspx and http://www.musicdirect.com/p-253-audioquest-iec-90-degree-adapter-version-2-center-pin-up.aspx

I happen to favor power cords with very high instantaneous current delivery like the Shunyata CX HC series (measured to raise ~200A in ~11uSec), versus power cords like their Zitron series (which the website claims to offer 200A in ~800mSec):

From http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/shunyata_visit_interview.htm:

From http://www.shunyata.com/our-products/pwr-cables/54-tron/570-alpha-series-1 ("Specs" tab):

CURRENT RATINGS
- Max continuous current: 20 Amps (connector dependent)
- Max instantaneous current: >200 Amps (800ms)

Their newer Sigma Zitron series don't carry such ratings...

To my ears, Spectrals suffer significantly from "slow" cables.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hi All,
I'm about to test some power cables for my DMA200 S2 and DMC 15-SS (and for my Analog DAC). Due to narrow my search, I'm asking you about your experience and suggestions for connecting the amp and the preamp.
I read some old comments about Elrod and Nordost. One of my need is cable flexibility and Elrod is too much rigid: after connecting the mains plug to the machine, a 90° angle is needed after some centimeters. Unfortunately Shunyata seems not so much flexible too.
Actually I'm using Furutech FP-3TS20 on all equipments but I don't know if it can be considered good or not, due to lack of comparison with other competitors.

So... brands and models to suggest for a try ?
Thanks in advance, Max

Actually we make a high performance ZTron cable that is actually as flexible or more so than a stock cable.
Lookup Z-PC10.
It is available in Digital or Analog filter versions.

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Thanks Peter & Gabriel

@ack, you gave me a lot of material to study ;) I will post some photos in my personal area soon, and you will see I need flexibility (imagine a furniture with one side on the wall and where the back free space for pass a cable is 1,5 cm (and the furniture is tooooo heavy to move ;) ).
In my power cables I need the squared IEC like the Z-PC10 Gabriel's example, because I cannot use the cylinder furutech-like IEC because is is too big and the space is not enough to pass it between the furniture and the wall without disassembly the cable (I prefer to avoid it...). Only the flat squared IEC can , like the Z-PC10.

@ack again, you wrote about the performance of Shunyata CX HC series, I am not familiar with this serie, and my question is if in this serie there are more cables other than Black Mamba.

@Gabriel, about Z-PC10, the difference between "analog" and "digital" is the type of equipment where the cable will be connected ?

Thanks, more comments are welcome.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hey Max, your fundamental problem is that you think you need furniture :D Apparently, you have not taken over the living room yet, lol... The CX are an older series, and they made a number of them at various price points, and most higher than the Black Mamba HC (Python, Anaconda and King Cobra - I think I have them all). I just didn't care to get anything more than 10AWG since my wall is all wired with 10AWG copper anyway, though some claim thicker, more expensive versions would attenuate noise even more... perhaps. You can find them on audiogon.

Another cable audibly inferior to my Shunyata was the top of the line MIT, Oracle ZIII - sucked the deep bass out of my amps, and measurably too, about 2dB using warble tones. One has to be very careful with this stuff, and strike a balance between noise attenuation and instantaneous current delivery, based on each component's demands. I rely more on the Typhon and the MIT Z-Strips and Z-Traps for noise attenuation (all parallel devices) and star-grounding, than noise reduction in the power cords themselves.

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Hey Max, your fundamental problem is that you think you need furniture :D Apparently, you have not taken over the living room yet, lol... The CX are an older series, and they made a number of them at various price points, and most higher than the Black Mamba HC (Python, Anaconda and King Cobra - I think I have them all). I just didn't care to get anything more than 10AWG since my wall is all wired with 10AWG copper anyway, though some claim thicker, more expensive versions would attenuate noise even more... perhaps. You can find them on audiogon.

Another cable audibly inferior to my Shunyata was the top of the line MIT, Oracle ZIII - sucked the deep bass out of my amps, and measurably too, about 2dB using warble tones. One has to be very careful with this stuff, and strike a balance between noise attenuation and instantaneous current delivery, based on each component's demands. I rely more on the Typhon and the MIT Z-Strips and Z-Traps for noise attenuation (all parallel devices) and star-grounding, than noise reduction in the power cords themselves.

Hey Peter... :D the furniture is not negotiable lol
I will start hunting based on your suggestion, thanks for now !
-Max

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Be sure to check others' positive comments on the latest Shunyata Sigma cables too, some own Spectral

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Be sure to check others' positive comments on the latest Shunyata Sigma cables too, some own Spectral

+1
I own Spectral DMA 400RS monoblocs. They love, love, love Shunyata Zitron Power cables. Currently using Alpha HCs, but my preference would be Anaconda's (nicely discounted on Music Direct.com)

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Last week I finally got a Black Mamba HC , and I will connect it in these days... I will report my impressions compared the existing Furutech FP-3TS20.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing