Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best redbook 16bit/44.1kHz DACs?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! marslo's Avatar
    Some people claim the best redbook dac is Reimyo DAP 999 EX
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio..._dap_999ex.htm
    Aurender W20->Audio Aero La Fontaine/ Lampizator Big 7 -> Ayon Crossfire III -> Avantgarde Acoustic Duo Mezzo XD
    Analog : Transrotor Fat Bob S with SME 5 , Shelter Harmony , Groove +SRX mk2

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by marslo View Post
    Some people claim the best redbook dac is Reimyo DAP 999 EX
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio..._dap_999ex.htm
    i have heard great things about Reimyo and would love to hear someday. For now, on 16/44.1, i love my Zanden and have not taken any [relative] newcomers over it to date.
    Speaker Wilson X-1/SLAMMS / Velodyne DD18+
    Source Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp CJ GAT 2 / Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable SC/IC / PC TA Opus Gen5/MM2 / PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass
    Power/Ground/Shield 7 x 16A Furutech / Burmester948+NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard
    Headphone Sennheiser HD650 / Arcam rHead/ApogeeGroove

Addicted to Best!
    Which is why I always recommend an in home audition. I haven't heard the Berkeley. If I see one, I will give it a listen, but would never spend that kind of money on a DAC.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Whip View Post
    Which is why I always recommend an in home audition. I haven't heard the Berkeley. If I see one, I will give it a listen, but would never spend that kind of money on a DAC.
    I know. I thought I'd be happy with an NAD M51 or a Hegel DAC25 and was disappointed when that was not the case; my wallet would have appreciated it. Yet I couldn't take a step back from my 20-year old Wadia 12 DAC, which sounded more lively and dramatic than either of these (I needed another DAC because I needed a digital volume control). The Berkeley DAC sounded just as lively and dramatic as the old Wadia, but then with much more resolution and better bass. Soundstage is substantially better too.

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    i have heard great things about Reimyo and would love to hear someday. For now, on 16/44.1, i love my Zanden and have not taken any [relative] newcomers over it to date.
    Lloyd, are you also mainly a redbook listener?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioExplorations View Post
    Lloyd, are you also mainly a redbook listener?
    Exclusively a redbook listener...many years ago, i promised myself to focus on ONE source...so as not to split my resources. And here we are...nearly 8 years after the Zanden and still extremely happy, even after having auditioned and/or brought home other digital equipment. I have heard an SACD, hi-res download and CD version of the same track played thru an Esoteric player a few years ago...and it occurred to me that i did not wish to spend on the multi-format...when i guestimated that the quality of the mastering was probably more important than the format itself.

In the end, redbook is not perfect, but its sounds remarkable when done well thru a great player, and with so many more variables that make a far bigger difference than the DAC...i am perfectly happy with the Zanden...and to enjoy music first, play around with other areas of the system second...and only third, even think about source.
    Isolation Sandwiches Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass
    Power/Ground/Shield 7 x 16A Furutech / Burmester948+NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Exclusively a redbook listener...many years ago, i promised myself to focus on ONE source...so as not to split my resources. And here we are...nearly 8 years after the Zanden and still extremely happy, even after having auditioned and/or brought home other digital equipment.
    I understand that, as I too am extremely happy with my DAC, the Ayre QB-9 DSD. I recently migrated to a new MacMini and the latest JRiver software and the DAC seems even better than before, with the older MacMin and Amarra. One thing I'd like to point out is I think it is great having a company that will upgrade their DAC for a minimal charge, in order to keep it current or whenever they discover a way to improve it. Ayre has done that twice to my DAC, pushing it's performance ever higher.
    Regards,
    Steve

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Hi

I haven't heard these in the same system but I have been very impressed by the follwoing DACs

Burmester 069
    CH Preiscion C1
    Bekeley DAC 2
    Auralic Vega

I listen mostly to Redbook. I have not heard the Berkeley Reference yet. Looking forward to.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by slowGEEZR View Post
    I understand that, as I too am extremely happy with my DAC, the Ayre QB-9 DSD. I recently migrated to a new MacMini and the latest JRiver software and the DAC seems even better than before, with the older MacMin and Amarra. One thing I'd like to point out is I think it is great having a company that will upgrade their DAC for a minimal charge, in order to keep it current or whenever they discover a way to improve it. Ayre has done that twice to my DAC, pushing it's performance ever higher.
    Nice...and agree...upgrades can be important and being able to do so without buying a new model is very, very good to build customer loyalty. I have heard very good things about the Ayre DAC from both a few users and reviewers. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Whip View Post
    What is CH?
    Short for Switzerland…"Helvetic Confederation" in French.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast