Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best redbook 16bit/44.1kHz DACs?

Addicted to Best!
    I have no idea who the guy is who did the measurements. I just found it on the Head Fi site since you mentioned a lack of measurements. Fact is, there has been plenty of poor engineering and poor workmanship in a quite a few high end products over the years. I once witnessed a very expensive amp blow up the first time it was turned on after delivery. Glad it wasn't my purchase. A friend who is an audio and video reviewer as requested one of the DACS for evaluation. I believe you know him quite well but not from WBF. He knows how to do the measurements. Hopefully he will get a review sample and even better, I hope to be able to borrow it too so I can hear it in a very familiar set up. Trust but verify as someone once said. Can't recall who. We will just have to agree to disagree on this on Amir. Such is life.

Banned
    Sounds good . Pun intended. Look forward to seeing more data.

Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Whip View Post
    Which is why they have a money back guarantee. Try it for 2 weeks and if you don't like it, send it back. My friend did it with the much more pricey Berkeley DAC. He keep the Schiit over that and a PS Audio DAC. Maybe you can order one, test it and let us know.
    Which Berkeley Dac, the Bada 1, 2 or Reference?

Schiit was the darling of the day on Computer Audiophile for awhile. Evidently they had their moment on head fi as well. They couldn't even hear this Schiit on headphones? That's a cautionary tale about forum opinions and golden audiophile ears.

Tim
    In high-end audio, you can't even fight an opinion with the facts.

Addicted to Best!
    Wisnon, It cost around $16k. I was not there to audition it.

Addicted to Best!
    Not sure where you are going with this Tim, but I have had the Gungnir for over a year and am listening to it through Spectral gear and Vandersteen 3A Signatures and it sounds fantastic. NO issues at all, knock on wood.

Not sure where you are going with this Tim, but I have had the Gungnir for over a year and am listening to it through Spectral gear and Vandersteen 3A Signatures and it sounds fantastic. NO issues at all, knock on wood.
    Not going anywhere, Joe. I hope your piece is the exception.

Tim
    In high-end audio, you can't even fight an opinion with the facts.

Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Wisnon, It cost around $16k. I was not there to audition it.
    Ahh, that's the Reference then....

BTW, I am often in Berwyn...PM me your contact number if you dont mind.
    I live in CH, as you may know.

Addicted to Best!
    What is CH?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Which is why they have a money back guarantee. Try it for 2 weeks and if you don't like it, send it back. My friend did it with the much more pricey Berkeley DAC. He keep the Schiit over that and a PS Audio DAC. Maybe you can order one, test it and let us know.
    The 'best' DAC depends all on system synergy and your personal preferences, next to more objective perceptions about resolution, which in turn can be colored by personal biases as well.

For example, during my phase of auditioning DACs in my system, which led me to purchase my current Berkeley Alpha DAC2, I also heard the Hegel DAC25 in my system. Some would have loved the sound: it was warm and full. Yet it always sounded warm and full: orchestral brass always sounded the same, regardless of recording, while the Berkeley DAC presented the recordings in a much more varied manner, apparently closer to what was actually on the disc. Some orchestral brass sounded just as warm and full as with the Hegel DAC25, some sounded more thin and bright. Given the varied presentation it seemed that the Berkeley DAC added far less color of its own. The always warm and full brass with the Hegel DAC became boring after a while: why should all brass sound the same? Yet I could imagine that some would have greatly preferred the Hegel DAC.

(The Berkeley DAC also gave a much livelier and more dramatic presentation, and had vastly superior bass, so in the end its purchase was a no brainer for me.)

My next DAC will probably be the Berkeley Reference DAC that your friend did not like as much.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast