Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
What could go wrong?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There are no words to describe the sheer stupidity of this!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is always a remarkable contrast between the west and east when it comes to transportation. 20 people could ride on a dump truck in India whereas in US everyone would need to have a seat, seat belt, air bag, etc., etc. You could say those are the government trying to save us from ourselves. This one though, should have had the danger signs all over it for the locals but somehow they decided it was OK and made it happen.

The best "crossover" version of this I have seen was the BBC's Top Gear episode where they built and crossed a bridge over the river "kwai."

That in turn reminds of scene in one of my favorite movies, Funny Farm:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
That was a great Top Gear episode :)
Another was when they had to build a raft-ferry to cross a moderately flowing river; I thought that episode would end in tears lol.

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Here is the Top Gear Make a Raft and Crossing:
Very amusing at the end when the back-up vehicle sinks in the background while they are chatting :)

I really do not know how the new presenters will ever do anything like these three and their driving treks across various countries and terrains.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
220px-Sorcerer77poster.jpg

This movie was lost in the Star Wars fog ... Director William Friedkin (French Connection, Exorcist and recently Killer Joe) movie bombed, however although it wasn't all that great, it was superbly shot, esp the bridge-crossing scene which drove the movie well over budget.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here is the Top Gear Make a Raft and Crossing:
Very amusing at the end when the back-up vehicle sinks in the background while their chatting :)

I really do not know how the new presenters will ever do anything like these three and their driving treks across various countries and terrains.
Cheers
Orb
New presenters? Do they have new hosts? Tell me it ain't so!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Ah you did not hear about the "scandal" of what happened over here in the uk.
Clarkson was sacked for hitting one of the producers after a full on days filming when no hot food was planned for them (looks like Clarkson blew when that producer made comments at him), May and Hammond got drunk but Clarkson was after food.
It was handled pretty appallingly by BBC tbh, then the original creator-producer also resigned over how it was handled and looks like May and Hammond have resigned as they said the show cannot really exist without Clarkson.
So possibly all four of them (includes the creator-producer) are to do a show together, may be Netflix or more traditional with ITV.

Best comment at the time was by May when asked his thoughts;
"We know Clarkson is bit of a knob, but we like him", was something like that :)

So a lot over here in the UK who never watched the show are glad they have left and now has new presenters, and yet they forget how much revenue it earns for BBC and also there are not that many presenters who would do the crap they do, along with how they show the love and emotion of a cheap car used on crazy journeys.
Those criticising the show never appreciated that underneath it all it was still about cars and the passion for cars whether in our normal or extraordinary journeys, but done in a way to bring back the fun of motoring :)

I think the new Top Gear is going to be painful lol.
Cheers
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah you did not hear about the "scandal" of what happened over here in the uk.
Clarkson was sacked for hitting one of the producers after a full on days filming when no hot food was planned for them (looks like Clarkson blew when that producer made comments at him), May and Hammond got drunk but Clarkson was after food.
It was handled pretty appallingly by BBC tbh, then the original creator-producer also resigned over how it was handled and looks like May and Hammond have resigned as they said the show cannot really exist without Clarkson.
So possibly all four of them (includes the creator-producer) are to do a show together, may be Netflix or more traditional with ITV.

Best comment at the time was by May when asked his thoughts;
"We know Clarkson is bit of a knob, but we like him", was something like that :)

So a lot over here in the UK who never watched the show are glad they have left and now has new presenters, and yet they forget how much revenue it earns for BBC and also there are not that many presenters who would do the crap they do, along with how they show the love and emotion of a cheap car used on crazy journeys.
Those criticising the show never appreciated that underneath it all it was still about cars and the passion for cars whether in our normal or extraordinary journeys, but done in a way to bring back the fun of motoring :)

I think the new Top Gear is going to be painful lol.
Cheers
Orb
Wow. No I had not heard any of this. Like you, I am confident there is no way a new cast will do the same job. They cloned the recipe down to the letter in US version of it but with three other hosts and it is not remotely watchable.

As you say, who would do these crazy things? I mean one time they air lifted them and dumped in Iraq and told them drive out of there! I still remember them going to the Iranian embassy in the middle of night trying to get a visa to pass through there and getting denied!

My brother that lived in the UK hated the show too. Saying it was all about breaking expensive cars. But the show was way, way more than that. It harkens back to the old physical comedy of UK that was so great. Let's hope they make a new show that is likable.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Totally agree :)
Just chatting and thinking it through they did a lot of crazy but highly entertaining projects always worth reminiscing about.
They are the modern definition of road trip adventuring, which is even more amusing considering their "unhip" ages :D

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing