Krell CAST cables - What is the best version?

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello,

I have been a Krell guy for a long time. I currently have a Krell Phantom and two pairs of FPB 750mcx monoblocs. I tried the Nordost CAST interconnect and it was really disappointing, showing low resolution, lack of control in the bass, lack of extension in the extreme lows and highs. Both the Echole Obsession XLR and the NBS Black Label II XLR cables killed the Nordost CAST. A friend who was using Nordost CAST had the same experience and also dumped his and is now using Echole cables.

I wonder what is the best version of CAST interconnects, and if it is better than top non-cast. Tara Labs (model?) CAST? Transparent (model?) CAST? Bertram Audio (model) CAST? Any other? To which top non-cast did you compare?

Thanks,

VPN

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
Curious to see recommendations here as well. I compared regular Krell Cast to XLR cables from other companies and preferred the XLRs. No experience with CAST cables from other manufacturers.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Just to clarify, I am asking this because I really hope there is a CAST cable that is better than top non-CAST. I am looking forward to finding this cable, try it and use it in my system.

I look forward to feedback from fellow audiophiles who compared, in their system, changing only the interconnect, a CAST cable and a top non-cast interconnect, and preferred the CAST.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just to clarify, I am asking this because I really hope there is a CAST cable that is better than top non-CAST. I am looking forward to finding this cable, try it and use it in my system.

I look forward to feedback from fellow audiophiles who compared, in their system, changing only the interconnect, a CAST cable and a top non-cast interconnect, and preferred the CAST.

When I had my pair of 750 mcx's I used Krell CAST cables and found no real difference between the more expensive versions and kept my Krell CAST cables. YMMV

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello Steve,

If you compared to many high end cast cables, it does not give me much hope. If you did not hear the 750mcx with a top non-cast, XLR cable, you did not hear what they are really capable of. This is of course only based on my own experience with cast cables, as well as of another friend with Krell equipment. In both cases the Nordost cast was very clearly inferior to good non-cast cables.

I would say that whomever has top Krell equipment with an excellent full-range system and currently use CAST cable, should try one or several non-cast top interconnects and report their experience here, I doubt anyone will prefer cast.

Cheers,

VPN

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hello Steve,

If you compared to many high end cast cables, it does not give me much hope. If you did not hear the 750mcx with a top non-cast, XLR cable, you did not hear what they are really capable of. This is of course only based on my own experience with cast cables, as well as of another friend with Krell equipment. In both cases the Nordost cast was very clearly inferior to good non-cast cables.

I would say that whomever has top Krell equipment with an excellent full-range system and currently use CAST cable, should try one or several non-cast top interconnects and report their experience here, I doubt anyone will prefer cast.

Cheers,

VPN

IIRC the 750 Mcx has dual in puts for XLR and CAST and that the Krell remote could change inputs which I used to A/B the two and I clearly agree with your last statement

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I have Nordost CAST and Argento Flow on my pair of Krell Evolution One. The CAST cables are inferior to the Argento and I rarely use them.

Last edited:

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Well, so far it seems that the CAST cables are inferior to non-CAST top XLR cables in direct comparisons.

Is there any CAST cable (Tara Labs? Transparent? Siltech? ...) that in comparison in your system sounded better than a top XLR cable? Please provide details of the comparison.

I am looking forward to one day finding a CAST cable that is superior to XLR cables such as Echole Obsession, Kubala Elation or NBS Black Label II.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing