My 2 channel experiment

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
You're still missing an essential part of the Troy though.

This fact isn't changed at all by the 'principle being older than you and me'.

Ok Yashn...I'll bite tell me. I would like to know.

FWIW, I have gone thru the test soundtracks and movie scenes, and I am definitely leaving the sub 1 notch higher on the volume level...with that extra bit of rumble gone and the tightness of the bass being very well defined, the added oomf in volume is 'perfectly balanced' for me.

I will say, I intuitively felt that 160lbs spread across the 5 Artesania Elastomer+Aluminum dampers was about right. Looking at the sub without the weights on top, i 'knew' adding one plate (ie, if you use gym weights, then the 45lb plate) was just going to rattle around on top. Two plates and a 15lb plate would be better but not 'dead dead dead'. But adding 3 plates plus a 25lb plate is that 'truly dead' kind of mass that (as far as i can perceive at the moment after 24 hours) really seems to allow the Velodyne to just move the cone without rattling/moving the cabinet structure.

With a single big 18" cone (and without an opposite firing 18" cone like in the Krell Master Ref, Paradigm Sub 2 or the Magico Q Subs), there will always be a physical movement at some level, but now it is so slight that even with oceans and explosions the 4 picture frames on top of the sub did not move even 1 cm. I know that Magico advertises a glass of water on top at full excursion wont even ripple (i may give that a shot)...but at $20K-30K+ for one of these, I am perfectly happy with the big Velodyne, 5 Artesania plates/HRS Couplers and 160lbs of polished chrome/brass free weights.

I think 160lbs with these elastomers interfacing directly with the top of the Velodyne makes this fun project 'done'. Fortunately, the Auralex Gramma Isolation platform underneath the sub takes 300lbs...which is now EXACTLY what the Velodyne plus mass dampers weight...299.5lbs!

Good Lloyd, all these improvements are cumulative....great stuff.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Ok Yashn...I'll bite tell me. I would like to know.

I'll tell you if you re-read the official descriptions more carefully 3 times and still don't see it. :D

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I'll tell you if you re-read the official descriptions more carefully 3 times and still don't see it. :D

Dedicated EMI/RFI passive filtration component with proprietary modules made with classified composite materials

This is a kind of over complication as rather than a filtration device,it is a removal device or a "sink". In reality this device does not filter anything. See the "passive" note below.

Proprietary Pure Silver Grounding Cables

Point-to-point wiring

No transformers, circuit boards, caps, op-amps, ferrites, coils, chips, plastics, LED’s or degrading parts that would create any electronic signature to the sound

Eliminates ground loop

Provides impedance ground match for all your components

These are a by product of the circuit.......the ground is balanced in a sense throughout the system. This is why cables IC's,PC's tend to settle in and any change to the ground effects sound reproduction.

Eliminates cheater plugs that degrades the sound

Does not interfere with music flow, impulse signal flow

Vibration control tuning. Through resonance control and implementation of the right materials we can tune your Tripoint system to match your personal preferences

Copper binding post provided to ground your components

Solid African Bubinga chassis

Anodize laser engraved Tripoint logo on new design top face plate.

CNC deep engraved Troy Signture mini front plate.

Elegant appearance with different wood finishes available

Ten Year Warranty

Anyway I commend Tripoint for developing this. If you have one good. All I am saying copper leads are more than adequate.

Once you understand the two statements below and they are about the most true observations I have run into,then everything becomes crystal clear....very profound.

"Noise is the enemy. Noise is the unnecessary baggage that most systems carry around like backpackers scaling a crest loaded up with stones - it kills the experience. In audiophile terms, it kills clarity, speed and dynamics." ---Walter Fields

"Well, without signal grounding, there is more noise than signal."---Scott Dorsey.

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Dedicated EMI/RFI passive filtration component with proprietary modules made with classified composite materials

That's one, despite you already saying you don't believe in it.

Try again, without posting everything in the description but a single thing.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
That's one, despite you already saying you don't believe in it.

Try again, without posting everything in the description but a single thing.

Ok....here's a test...if the device connects to the signal input of the component...then I am wrong.

If the device connects to the component chassis...then I am right.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Ok....here's a test...if the device connects to the signal input of the component...then I am wrong.

If the device connects to the component chassis...then I am right.

:D

Have you read a second time?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
:D

Have you read a second time?

Ok....here's the answer...."Does not interfere with music flow, impulse signal flow"

So it is a "sink"

Bottom line if your sound reproduction is not @ infinity (without boundaries), Then you have noise in your system.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Ok....here's the answer...."Does not interfere with music flow, impulse signal flow"

So it is a "sink"

Bottom line if your sound reproduction is not @ infinity (without boundaries), Then you have noise in your system.

Nope still not right.

Have you reached a 3rd read yet?

Looks like you may get an answer next year. ;)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Nope still not right.

Have you reached a 3rd read yet?

Looks like you may get an answer next year. ;)

I guess you like to play games...see ya

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I guess you like to play games...see ya

Not sure how you'll see me: you can't even see that essential feature you missed despite reading several times :p

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Just a update I have about 70 hours on my 3rd strap on my 1600W mono blocks for a total of 2 2ga straps and 1 8 ga strap. The 8 ga I had already made up from the upstairs system,so it was an easy task. What the third strap accomplished was to make most classical and 3 channel mic'd recordings seem to have no boundaries,in other words the room disappears. the soundfield is so transparent,but also extremely saturated that on some recordings it seems like it tricks my mind and is almost like live. Notice I said "almost",but seriously this 2nd ground path really makes a difference. I also have come to the conclusion that a good power cord is a sufficient path back to earth ground. So the bottleneck continues to be the electronics themselves and the connecting IC's (YMMV). Will I increase the pathway size again? I don't know @ this point. After a while I can tell if it's needed and it's not that hard,as the soundfield expands,the clarity must improve,if it doesn't I need to increase the pathway. The increase in dynamics and the saturation and tonal nuance are outstanding.Time will tell.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well I came across this article about chassis grounding which is basically what I have done over the last 3 or 4 years. Moving my system into a better space has enabled me to appreciate the improvements to my system sonically.

This Rane article points out the specifics and the benefits.....happy to read it because now for me everything I have done makes sense from a engineering sense and from a scientific point of view also.

Fellow member DonH56 sums it up perfectly.....

"Same principles apply to controlling noise currents/voltages on the ground/shield paths.

Chassis grounding in audio is no different than for any other circuit sensitive to noise. Keeping a good chassis ground relatively independent of signal ground can do anything from nothing to profound improvements in the noise floor depending on the circuit design and implementation. You generally want the "noise" path to ground to be different than the signal return path, and often that means a heavy chassis ground to provide the lowest impedance path for noise while the signal return goes through the signal cables.

Like many things, conceptually simple, straight-forward good engineering practice, but not well known or recognized and can be unexpectedly difficult to implement well. There are numerous texts and courses teaching noise control."
Last edited: Today at 10:37 AM
Don Herman

Rane article link see Chassis ground vs Signal ground

http://www.rane.com/note151.html

Also another observation that I have made in the past is the Tripoint and Entreq are actually Chassis grounding devices.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Also another observation that I have made in the past is the Tripoint and Entreq are actually Chassis grounding devices.

Some early Entreq devices actually are claimed to deal with signal 'ground' only. c.f. spiritofmusic's and LL21's posts about them.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
There are many paths to Rome. My method is surely not for everyone,but the only option I feel to remove noise from my system. Is there any noise left? It never ceases to amaze me.

A wonderful album and a joy to listen to,just the music. Jimmy Smith Angel Eyes
The Hammond B and the trumpet have a quality, I can only remember experiencing live.
angel eyes.jpg
IMG_0328.JPG

played this tonight,not since the new room and the new ground scheme....speechless
Rodrigo.jpg

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Have now added 2 1/0 gauge cables to my electronic crossover which are larger than the 2 gauge cables from preamp to mono blocks. The bass is about as tight,powerful and controlled as I have ever heard and I have 8 5 inch drivers,2 16 inch,1 18 inch and 2 pairs of psycho speakers that produce low frequencies. The bass is totally seamless invisible,but capable of incredible energy. The cables also produce a level of live clarity and tonal blast. Adding this very large pathway changes the normal perspective to one that is @ the microphone enabling me to hear information and detail that I thought impossible to achieve. This noise experiment so far has proved to be bottomless and on the majority of recording I have picked up gain and some are +3db or more. Signal purity also has had a unbelievable effect on the soundstage,as now the sound field is like live music as the confines of the room no longer exist,side to side,top to bottom. The realism factor just explodes now as different thresholds are breached....exciting to say the least.

I am also streamlining the star ground scheme using nine 1 or 2 gauge cables ,a very heavy grounding bond system,a large pathway to ground. Cost less than 200 dollars which for the sonic benefit is unheard of in today's high end.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff, Roger...you've taken grounding to a whole new level imho. On my side, i continue to take the 'retail buyer' route, with additional shielding for emi/rfi via Entreq. Adding further Entreq wraps around power cords and [certain] signal cables has continued to reduce grunge and leave piano (on infinite repeat) closer and closer to what I hear as 'real'. Not necessarily correct!...but certainly real to my ears after 12 years of studying piano (too many hours spent in front of a keyboard).

Your route is something i have only 'barely' pursued via the 'retail route' with Entreq and Tripoint, but I have to say, i admire your commitment and dedication to go the distance. I know a little bit of noise reduction, and as you have said repeatedly...it makes all the difference. With great equipment that produces the voice i like...removing the grunge has [so far] only allowed that voice to come thru stronger, more clearly, with improved balance and greater detail. Thanks for continuing forge ahead.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Great stuff, Roger...you've taken grounding to a whole new level imho. On my side, i continue to take the 'retail buyer' route, with additional shielding for emi/rfi via Entreq. Adding further Entreq wraps around power cords and [certain] signal cables has continued to reduce grunge and leave piano (on infinite repeat) closer and closer to what I hear as 'real'. Not necessarily correct!...but certainly real to my ears after 12 years of studying piano (too many hours spent in front of a keyboard).

Your route is something i have only 'barely' pursued via the 'retail route' with Entreq and Tripoint, but I have to say, i admire your commitment and dedication to go the distance. I know a little bit of noise reduction, and as you have said repeatedly...it makes all the difference. With great equipment that produces the voice i like...removing the grunge has [so far] only allowed that voice to come thru stronger, more clearly, with improved balance and greater detail. Thanks for continuing forge ahead.

Hi Lloyd, I continue to follow my quest in pursuit of a noiseless system. I know you and many others are too and we will get there.
I just was rockin out to Grace Slick....Enjoy

Btw I have a Baldwin 1921 Grand upstairs, so the piano is a great reference tool.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow! i only have my own personal impression from studying piano, and i can only imagine what a live piano must be like for live reference!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Wow! i only have my own personal impression from studying piano, and i can only imagine what a live piano must be like for live reference!
Lloyd one thing that immediately becomes apparent is how a piano can fill a room, big and powerful. The bottom end,the extension and decay are also a challenge. I think one needs a very good amplifier,and a large system helps.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Lloyd, If you can find this recording Fred Hersch Let yourself go always stuck in my mind. Also some of the old DMP recordings,like Warren Bernhardt for a good reference on the piano.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing