Out Of Town Members visiting the Newport Show - unique inviation - Giya G1 audition

Capistrano_rear.jpg

We are planning on opening our home to the out of town WBF members to audition the Giya G1. We are driving the G1 with Luxman B-1000f monoblocks or Mola Mola, as you prefer.
Lots of Master Tapes, huge vinyl selection as well an extensive digital file collection, both DSD & 24 bit PCM. Large, untreated room with great sonics.

As seating is extremely limited, please PM me & we can make all the necessary arrangements. Please let us know if you are interested.

thanks,

Philip

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Nice listening space Philip .. I wish I had those high double volume ceilings in my music room.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I want to take this opportunity to thank Philip and his wonderful wife for inviting a group of crazy audiophiles for some wine, music and laughter..... (and more wine!).
Philip was kind enough to haul my butt back to his place after the show on Saturday. The first question when he got to his home was what wine would you like? He offered up the most sensual, smooth and sweet wine that I have ever had in a long time!
I sat in the sweet spot and listened intently on how the system was put together, the merits of the speakers and the wonderful selection of music I had to choose from.
I had for a long time, wanted to listen to the Vivid speakers in a well sorted out room/system. I had heard them numerous times at shows and they sounded really great compared to all of the other offerings. I had heard the G3's at the show and was mesmirazed by the sound.
The first thing I noticed about the sound was scale. They presented scale almost perfectly. Female vocals, orchestral, piano, solo instruments, were all hanging in the air between the speakers (and beyond) with a believable size. So many larger speakers have had pianos that stretched for 30', female vocals that were size of linebackers and orchestras that were the size of a football field. I could easily picture instruments and vocalist in front of me.
The second thing I noticed was the bass, especially upright bass. The bass notes were tight and on point. They filled the room without any boomyness or overhang. My bias expected light/weak bass in that huge room. Then I realized, even though I was drinking wine, I never saw the bottom of the glass? Go figure??
The mids were clear without any etchiness or glare. The highend was not bright at all, though I could hear every single brush stroke and cymbal strike. The Vivid's are one of a kind speaker. We have all heard "Stimela" thousands of times. Let me tell you, this was the first time I've heard it and actually believed I was sitting in the Venue with Hugh. Everything sounded so real, even my own speakers are lacking.
We retired to the patio to have dinner that Philip's wife lovingly prepared for us. The banter was fun, we broke bread and laughed into the night.
This was an evening to remember for a lifetime. Great friends getting together to make memories is what this hobby is all about! My deepest, heartfelt, thank-you goes to the O Hanlon family for opening their doors and inviting us in.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Lovely evening, indeed. There was a Doobie Bros. cut which I found immensely enjoyable -- digital nonetheless! :eek: ;) The system/room combination was coherent, at considerable level, without distortion and maintained beautiful spectral balance. But all this, naturally, is subsidiary to meeting the O'Hanlon family and their guests including Dominique from Merging.

Thank you, Philip and family, for your hospitality and offering Sonny and me such a warm reception :)

Last edited:

Craig Buckles

Jun 2, 2015
I had the privilege of visiting the grand room seen in the picture Thursday evening of the Newport show. I had heard the Vivid Giya G3s on several occasions and had always been impressed. Philip wanted me to hear the Giya G1s in a properly set up system, which he happened to have at his home near the show. After a quick but very good sandwich and a wonderful glass of wine, Philip gave me the demo of his system. We started out with some high resolution computer samples and later moved on to reel tape. The system was incredible! I have never before heard such a sound stage. The images were so clearly hanging in space that even with my eyes open I felt like I was hallucinating. Above, behind, and at every point in between the speakers were clearly defined voices or instruments. The music sounded full at modest (80dB) levels, but also remained sharp and clear without any distortion or glare at much louder (95dB) levels. Philip played Toccata and Fugue in C Minor for organ. It sounded as real as when I used to listen to the recitals in church with a real pipe organ! The bass was shaking the inside of my body. I was also very impressed with Hugh Masekela's Coal Train on reel tape. Since this song is a common audiophile demo, I have heard it many times on different systems. It was so dynamic and alive on this system that I was actually startled at a few points. This was also the first time ever that I actually understood all of the lyrics. After this demo I plan to purchase the Giya G1s for my own system. Thank you Philip for a wonderful evening with your stereo and family.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
T
I had the privilege of visiting the grand room seen in the picture Thursday evening of the Newport show. I had heard the Vivid Giya G3s on several occasions and had always been impressed. Philip wanted me to hear the Giya G1s in a properly set up system, which he happened to have at his home near the show. After a quick but very good sandwich and a wonderful glass of wine, Philip gave me the demo of his system. We started out with some high resolution computer samples and later moved on to reel tape. The system was incredible! I have never before heard such a sound stage. The images were so clearly hanging in space that even with my eyes open I felt like I was hallucinating. Above, behind, and at every point in between the speakers were clearly defined voices or instruments. The music sounded full at modest (80dB) levels, but also remained sharp and clear without any distortion or glare at much louder (95dB) levels. Philip played Toccata and Fugue in C Minor for organ. It sounded as real as when I used to listen to the recitals in church with a real pipe organ! The bass was shaking the inside of my body. I was also very impressed with Hugh Masekela's Coal Train on reel tape. Since this song is a common audiophile demo, I have heard it many times on different systems. It was so dynamic and alive on this system that I was actually startled at a few points. This was also the first time ever that I actually understood all of the lyrics. After this demo I plan to purchase the Giya G1s for my own system. Thank you Philip for a wonderful evening with your stereo and family.

Welcome to WBF Craig. Anyone who has been to Philips all feel the same. Myself included

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Welcome to WBF Craig. Anyone who has been to Philips all feel the same. Myself included

+1.... Welcome Craig. The G1's are an amazing speaker. Congrats on the purchase!
Philip is a gracious host. Would love to have a pair of G1's in my room.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I would hasten to add those flagship Luxman monoblocks were a natural tandem with the G1. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing