1 mm thin OLED TV and LG doubling down on OLED Displays!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Go LG, go!

http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-displays-latest-oled-tv-sticks-to-the-wall-is-under-1mm-thick/

LG Display shows off press-on 'wallpaper' TV under 1mm thick

LG Display, the screen-making subsidiary of LG, is dedicated to OLED panels, and it has unveiled an impossibly thin television to prove it.

At a press event in its home country of Korea on Tuesday, LG Display showed off a "wallpaper" proof-of-concept television. The 55-inch OLED (organic light-emitting diode) display weighs 1.9 kilograms and is less than a millimeter thick. Thanks to a magnetic mat that sits behind it on the wall, the TV can be stuck to a wall. To remove the display from the wall, you peel the screen off the mat.

The unveiling was part of a broader announcement by LG Display to showcase its plans for the future. The company said its display strategy will center on OLED technology. According to a press release, the head of LG Display's OLED business unit, Sang-Deog Yeo, said "OLED represents a groundbreaking technology" not only for the company, but also for the industry.

The comments echo the refrain consumers have been hearing for years as display technology has evolved. The HD craze kicked into high gear years ago with technologies like LCD (liquid crystal display) and plasma, but has since been moving increasingly toward LED technology.

OLED is widely believed to be the next frontier. The technology adds an organic compound layer that allows not only for exceedingly thin screens, but for those displays to be curved. The organic material also emits its own light, eliminating the need for a backlight. That allows for such thin screens and has made OLED a desirable choice not only for televisions, but for a wide range of wearables and other mobile products. LG Display believes OLED could be the de facto display technology in all products in the future.

While some OLED screens have been used by companies like Samsung, LG and Sony, the costs are still quite high to produce the displays. Part of that cost is due to a historically low yield, or production of displays that are actually functional. More waste means higher costs on the screens that do make it through production. Those costs are then passed on to consumers. LG's 65-inch, 4K OLED TV, for instance, costs $9,000.

On Tuesday, however, LG said that it has made significant headway in developing OLEDs. The company touted its position as the first to mass-produce large-screen OLEDs for televisions and said that its yield has hit 80 percent -- a strong showing, but still lower than LCDs.

Those issues with yield, coupled with price, mean televisions like the "wallpaper" display might not make their way to store shelves at a reasonable cost anytime soon.

LG Display said Tuesday it expects to sell 600,000 OLED TV panels this year and 1.5 million next year. The company also cited comments made at the press event by Ching W. Tang, a professor at the University of Rochester in New York and "the father of OLED." He said OLED displays will not become ubiquitous for another five to 10 years. At that point, Tang said, they could outpace LCDs in total shipments.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
>>Go LG, go!<<

Yes ...

I remember reading a (CNET?) review where they compared the best past & present plasma's to the LG, in which they claimed the OLED black was the only one that looked truly black, all the others looked slightly blue in comparison. They certainly look deeper and darker to my eyes. Although I really like my current Sharp LCD, I don't want to ever buy another LCD again. Go LG go indeed.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OLEDs can produce perfect blacks since like a light bulb, you just turn them off. LCDs rely on filters to block a back light. Plasma has a residual bias like minimum output that likewise keeps it from being perfect.

They need to get a 50% price reduction to be a reasonable option. 80% yield that LG mentions should enable that.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I do wish LG had some OLED based competition, just to help bring the price down. Are all the other manufacturers out the OLED game?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The only other game was Samsung and they have decided to pull back from TV market. They of course produce billions of them for phones and such. If LG creates a larger market, Samsung could re-enter.

For now, there is stiff competition in the form of cheap LCDs so I think we are OK and just throttled by the pace of innovation in increasing yield.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Saw 4K OLED in Japan a few weeks ago and my-oh-my, was gobsmacked with the picture quality. I do hope they bring the pricing down. this is the real McKoy for me.

Some of the pics I took from the telly with my actual camera, I could fool my friends into believing that I had actually visited and taken a real pic as I was in Munich earlier. DSCF6827.jpg DSCF6850.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
They are pretty stunning. The biggest threat to them is how cost conscious we have become with respect to displays. There seems to be almost no market for a premium TV these days.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
The wallpaper OLEDs are still years away. Hopefully LG will get the yields up, improve their manufacturing and processing and of course, drop the prices. They are the only OLED game in town although some Chinese manufacturers are said to be coming out with sets as well as possibly Panasonic at IFA. Of course, they will all be using panels from LG Display, as LG Display is the only game in town. Now if they would ditch the curve.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
LG now has announced flat OLED displays. EF9500 and EF9800 are both flat, 4K OLED displays from LG. The 9500 comes in 55 and 65 inch. The 9800 in 65 inches only. One is supposed to ship in July and the other in August.

I can't find any current information on them. Hopefully they are still slated to come out.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
My understanding is that the flat 4k OLEDS won't ship until September. I would NOT be surprised if that is delayed even further.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Amir,
when the industry decides to start pushing 5k and then 8k TVs; do you think it needs to be OLED or is this going to possible (in terms of being superb visual quality) with LCD without their issues being worse/more noticeable?
I find it quite incredible the industry is already looking to move or talking up those definitions when we still waiting for more universal 4k content and distribution-transmission methods.
Thanks
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is no real application for 5K/8K in flat panels. The sizes you need are way in excess of any flat plan you would want to put in your living room. But yes, the display industry will push that forward as fast as they can get yields on them and 4K becomes commodity priced.

What they have done is convinced many consumers that upscaling lower resolution to high resolution display has merit. As long as that impression stays alive, they can say if upscaling to 4K was good, wait till you see upscaling to 8k!

Fortunately there are other dimensions of display technology opening up:

1. High dynamic range. The current dynamic range is way, way lower than what we can capture. Or even captured on film. This should make for images that are brighter with higher contrast.

2. Wider gamut. The color range of current displays is way lower than what the human eye can perceive. It is like limiting audio to 500 hz to 5000 Hz.

3. Less filtering of color. Currently color has 1/4 resolution of black and white part of the image. The eye also has lower resolution in color but with advent of computer generated effects and graphics, we need higher resolution. A computer can put a green and yellow pixel next to each other. Your computer monitor shows them with perfection. But every form of consumer video delivery filters the heck out of that, making that transition pretty soft. "4:2:2" and "4:4:4" are the technical terms to look for.

I wrote a very detailed article on all of this for the Widescreen Review magazine which just came out I think. I will put a copy online soon. But for now, display and video technology has all of a sudden gotten exciting!

And yes, it is true that standard LCD displays have a ton of deficiencies. Pushing for more pixels doesn't make that worse but it is weird mix of bad and good. Quantum Dot brings better color gamut to LCDs, and local dimming fixes fair bit of contrast issues. The ultimate solution remains OLED.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I believe there is a 5K screen available now. It is a 21:9 display. As for 8K, there will be a push for 8K screens in likely 3 years. You can book it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I should make one exception which I think includes the 5K which is computer monitors. There, we sit pretty close to the display and need higher resolution displays to show all the pixels our cameras include.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks Amir,
and yeah I guess it is the manufacturer cycle of trying to get consumers to buy next best thing and convincing them it should be 5k and higher, when in reality the next best thing is the technological improvements that could be applied to existing formats.

The other irony, PS4 and Xbox1 cannot even run games properly at 1080p :)

Good point about cameras, probably a fair few would like to consider the best visuals for those.
Cheers
Orb

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
We don't need more pixels, we need better pixels. With HDR and a wider color gamet, we are starting to get there.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
We don't need more pixels, we need better pixels. With HDR and a wider color gamet, we are starting to get there.

Agree but it seems to me the industry is going to try and push 5k and 8k to consumers *shrug*.
4k was pushed much too early for traditional home entertainment but I guess it is a way to get consumers to recycle their products.
Cheers
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The other irony, PS4 and Xbox1 cannot even run games properly at 1080p :)
I am not a gamer so what is the deal with them? I know the previous generation had serious problems there but thought by now it would be a walk in the park.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Agree but it seems to me the industry is going to try and push 5k and 8k to consumers *shrug*.
4k was pushed much too early for traditional home entertainment but I guess it is a way to get consumers to recycle their products.
Cheers
Orb

4K should not have been rolled out until they decided what the standards were and what it included and furthermore, added additional connectivity other than HDMI. People who have already bought 4K sets will need new ones to take advantage of all that 4K can offer. That really shouldn't happen at this stage. This is NOT 1998.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I am not a gamer so what is the deal with them? I know the previous generation had serious problems there but thought by now it would be a walk in the park.

I guess it is one example where performance and cost go hand in hand, to reduce costs they decided to go with the PC architecture and implemented hardware from AMD (their technology is very good but not extremely efficient) and unfortunately they went with the lower-middle rung GPU and CPU.
Even utilising some fancy low level interfacing for memory with the CPU (far better than PCs can do) they are struggling to do 30fps for "next-gen" titles at 1080p, and usually they still require some kind of compromise whether rendering-alias related or dropping resolution below 1080p.
That said to do PCs at 4k gaming requires expensive cards that are over $650 each (and still not optimum with current technology so ideally requiring two of them working together), and then you have the expensive CPU/cooling/etc on top of that.
At least PCs can handle 1080p well with reasonable spec hardware.

But we are seeing how resolutions are being pushed much quicker than other hardware can keep up, especially with how Apple is pushing 5k with their iMac products....
Going to end in tears unless there can be a substantial boost to GPU performance, late next year should be interesting as GPU architectures move to 14nm and 16nm FinFet+.

Edit:
Just to be clear I am not talking about TV programmes and films from a consumer perspective (although there will be extra stress on hardware requirements for 4k and higher CGI and other digital related effects-editing-etc, and cost of better digital Cinematography and broadcast-sport-documentary cameras).
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing