Are slow-sounding tube amplifiers poorly engineered, or appealing to a Target Market?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Listen to great tube amplification from Atma-sphere or CAT, and they are blazing fast. Listen to an amp like the Woo audio headphone amps as well as some audiophile brands, and they are as slow as molasses.

Is speed an indication of good or bad design?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm very sure there are examples of both not to mention that some tube amps are only slow when not properly matched to loudspeakers.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Can you describe "slow-sounding?"

Tim

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
"Slow" and "Fast" amps?

Well, I can control turntable speed, would that remedy an amps speed characteristics?

Kiddin aside ... do you mean "slow" as in tubby undefined/uncontrolled bass which smears lower freq. instrumental timing, and "fast" as tighter more controlled sound (some amps "grip" better than others) with perhaps a sharper/better defined leading edge?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
"Slow" and "Fast" amps?

Well, I can control turntable speed, would that remedy an amps speed characteristics?

Kiddin aside ... do you mean "slow" as in tubby undefined/uncontrolled bass which smears lower freq. instrumental timing, and "fast" as tighter more controlled sound (some amps "grip" better than others) with perhaps a sharper/better defined leading edge?

If that's the description, the answer is solid state or very expensive tubes.

Tim

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I'm not certain of his description, hence my question. I don't tend to label amps based on speed, although I "think" I understand what others may imply using "slow/fast". And besides; as others have pointed out, amp performance can be speaker dependent.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
If that's the description, the answer is solid state or very expensive tubes.

Tim

No, you don't need expensive tubes, you need an over-sized power supply that is not sagging upon demand. The problem with many power supplies in tube amps is that they simply cannot supply under stress (dynamic peaks etc.) the steady, constant very-high-voltage DC that the tubes need. In many amps the tubes simply underperform because they never are able to operate under optimal conditions. In my system I have external BorderPatrol MB power supplies, monstrous units for the tube power they need to supply (just 15 W/channel):

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17334-My-minimonitor-subwoofer-system

The thread also shows the inside of one of the power supplies (they stand on the floor next to the equipment rack).

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
No, you don't need expensive tubes, you need an over-sized power supply that is not sagging upon demand. The problem with many power supplies in tube amps is that they simply cannot supply under stress (dynamic peaks etc.) the steady, constant very-high-voltage DC that the tubes need. In many amps the tubes simply underperform because they never are able to operate under optimal conditions. In my system I have external BorderPatrol MB power supplies, monstrous units for the tube power they need to supply (just 15 W/channel):

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17334-My-minimonitor-subwoofer-system

The thread also shows the inside of one of the power supplies (they stand on the floor next to the equipment rack).

Sorry, I didn't literally mean the valves themselves are expensive, I meant that tube amps with that kind of performance tend to be very expensive.

Tim

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Agreed
I'm very sure there are examples of both not to mention that some tube amps are only slow when not properly matched to loudspeakers.

A well proportioned powersuplly certainly has a lot to do with it , you need a large " electric energy buffer" between the wall outlet and the amplyfing section , the Cat will keep playing quite a while as you switch the poweramp off suddenly or pull the plug :), by far the longest time of any amp i owned.
I assume this has all to do with dynamics /speed

82 kg total weight and a large transformersection and capacitator bank , i dont understand why some tube manufacturers would skip on that , well maybe the cost factor

DSC_0214 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
82 kg total weight and a large transformersection and capacitator bank , i dont understand why some tube manufacturers would skip on that , well maybe the cost factor
DSC_0214 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Another approach to amplification, perhaps?
OTL -- astonishing. I'm using Atma-Sphere amplification, pre and amps...remarkable! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing