OPPO and HDCD

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
just like to note: originally the HDCD data was utilized by the filter (ex: filters PM100/200 within the chip-set 1702/100 or 1704/200) not specifically the "DAC" chip itself. However, later DAC/chips would integrate filter&DAC (ex:BB1732 onwards).

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
IMHO this thread is a perfect example of the site. A user feature that changes previous Assumed device conventions, that again IMHO now better explained and understood, turns into a very very nice perk.

Although this has been known and documented (notice the dates on some of those links) for many years (since 2009 at least)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
just like to note: originally the HDCD data was utilized by the filter (ex: filters PM100/200 within the chip-set 1702/100 or 1704/200) not specifically the "DAC" chip itself. However, later DAC/chips would integrate filter&DAC (ex:BB1732 onwards).

And now separated again (hdcd.exe for use on Windows computers, the Mediatek board in Oppo's and others)

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
So the consensus is...if I play an HDCD in my oppo and send the digital out (coax) to a non HDCD DAC, The music from the DAC will be properly HDCD decoded even though the outboard DAC does not decode HDCD ?

well, "HDCD" yes, although I'd hesitate to say it's being converted "properly". I'm still a little unclear on how the OPPO manages to change filter types on the fly at the decoding stage; which was traditionally done using specific "HDCD" based filters - pre DAC.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I would bet that there is firmware in the chipset equivalent to "hdcd.exe", decoding the stream prior to sending it to the DAC. Foobar2000 can do that in a server-based source.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This is all good news. Next step it to hook a coax cable to my oppo spdif output into my outboard dacs coax input. As a test I can play the HDCD in my outboard dacs transport...since it won't be decoded, it should sound 6dB louder than playing the HDCD in the oppo and sending the decoded stream to the outboard DAC...do I have it correct ?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It will probably be more like 3-4 dB louder, but that is basically correct. Assuming you are playing an HDCD with Peak Extend, switching HDCD in and out on the Oppo will be associated with an obvious volume change. If it's an HDCD without Peak Extend, there will be no volume difference.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It will probably be more like 3-4 dB louder, but that is basically correct. Assuming you are playing an HDCD with Peak Extend, switching HDCD in and out on the Oppo will be associated with an obvious volume change. If it's an HDCD without Peak Extend, there will be no volume difference.

So the peak extend is a separate switch through the oppo software that must be turned on in addition to HDCD decoding ? I am not hearing much volume change if any, but the HDCD seems to sound better...more robust through the oppo to the DAC versus playing the disk in my dac's outboard transport.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
So the peak extend is a separate switch through the oppo software that must be turned on in addition to HDCD decoding ? I am not hearing much volume change if any, but the HDCD seems to sound better...more robust through the oppo to the DAC versus playing the disk in my dac's outboard transport.

No switching required, peak extend is but only 1 function of the HDCD coding/decoding process. The recording engineer either used PE and/or other functions - or he didn't.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Not a separate switch; most HDCD's do not utilize Peak Extend, but the decoder automatically recognizes it if it was used. Grateful Dead HDCD's from more than 2-3 years ago almost all use Peak Extend, so do all the Joni Mitchell HDCD's (and many others too, of course, but those come quickly to mind). The volume change isn't subtle; I don't use a separate DAC anymore, but when I did it was immediately noticeable. In fact, you should notice it if you just use your Oppo as the whole player; switch HDCD in and out.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
>>most HDCD's do not utilize Peak Extend<<

Well, matter of perspective ... nearly every boutique label HDCD I own, such as Reference Recordings and FIM, used PE exclusively. Major labels, much more of a toss up ... like I said prior, some are even track dependent. Since I own far more of the small label recordings, my HDCD collection is therefore mostly PE enabled.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Not a separate switch; most HDCD's do not utilize Peak Extend, but the decoder automatically recognizes it if it was used. Grateful Dead HDCD's from more than 2-3 years ago almost all use Peak Extend, so do all the Joni Mitchell HDCD's (and many others too, of course, but those come quickly to mind). The volume change isn't subtle; I don't use a separate DAC anymore, but when I did it was immediately noticeable. In fact, you should notice it if you just use your Oppo as the whole player; switch HDCD in and out.

That is the whole purpose of this exercise....playing GD HDCD live shows of which I have a ton of. Playing them back in the oppo standalone didn't get the best out of them and in particular, the bass performance is not great on the oppo...sounds muddy in comparison to my DAC. Previously, I would rip all the files and decode them 24/44.1 on my computer via dB poweramp, then burn them to DVD to playback on my PSAudio memory player/DAC. That was a time consuming pain.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
>>most HDCD's do not utilize Peak Extend<<

Well, matter of perspective ... nearly every boutique label HDCD I own, such as Reference Recordings and FIM, used PE exclusively. Major labels, much more of a toss up ... like I said prior, some are even track dependent. Since I own far more of the small label recordings, my HDCD collection is therefore mostly PE enabled.

I'm merely going by an older Web site which compiled a list of all HDCD's regardless of label. IIRC only about 30% utilized Peak and Low Level extension.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Although this has been known and documented (notice the dates on some of those links) for many years (since 2009 at least)
Documented, yes. Known I'd say hardly as replies show, usually knowledgeable owners, unfamiliar with the feature behavior. Even reviewers TMK have never mentioned it and I would certainly consider this ability to be a positive feature worth metioning. Hopefully they don't remove it from a future release or update.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I don't know how to transfer a text from another place, but anyway it's not important.

Christian, from your Oppo BR player, using the digital coaxial out, and going through your external DAC:
Set the HDCD switch from the Oppo's Audio setup menu to: ON

Your DAC does not have a HDCD decoder, so you will get the decoded HDCD encoded discs from the Oppo's directly from its digital output.
All good to go. And this is something I didn't even know myself, until now.
{I have several HDCD players and it is the digital output of them that I'm confused with; I'm not even sure on how they differ from each other.}

I asked specifically the question this morning to an expert*.

* Bob Pariseau - Anthem and Oppo expert.
I got the link but I don't want any trouble.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I don't know how to transfer a text from another place, but anyway it's not important.

Christian, from your Oppo BR player, using the digital coaxial out, and going through your external DAC:

Your DAC does not have a HDCD decoder, so you will get the decoded HDCD encoded discs from the Oppo's directly from its digital output.
All good to go. And this is something I didn't even know myself, until now.
{I have several HDCD players and it is the digital output of them that I'm confused with; I'm not even sure on how they differ from each other.}

I asked specifically the question this morning to an expert*.

* Bob Pariseau - Anthem and Oppo expert.
I got the link but I don't want any trouble.

Thanks Bob. I am all hooked up and can confirm by ear that the stream running into my DAC is HDCD decoded and can let my better sounding DAC do the D/A conversion. Thanks for your homework.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...Christian, from your Oppo BR player, using the digital coaxial out, and going through your external DAC:

Your DAC does not have a HDCD decoder, so you will get the decoded HDCD encoded discs from the Oppo's directly from its digital output...

Just curious; how is this different from what was recommended 5 pages and 45 posts ago??

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Just curious; how is this different from what was recommended 5 pages and 45 posts ago??

You were right all along Robert. I was confused by several wrong information from the Internet highway (World Wide Web).
It has been an educative journey for the last twenty-four hours. ...For me.

Grattle

Dec 27, 2016
Will all of Oppo's line of HDCD enabled products output HDCD decoded digital data via SPDIF? I have an older Oppo DVD playerOPDV971H. Does anyone know if this player is capable of such a feat?

Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing