OPPO and HDCD

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
You have to trust that whomever wrote the software in the foo_hdcd knows what they are doing. I don't think I do..

But you trust whomever wrote the various pieces of software allowing you to write the above...

Grattle

Dec 27, 2016
But you trust whomever wrote the various pieces of software allowing you to write the above...

No, but I can SEE that the output of what I type goes into the database serving this forum. I am not saying that the software is broken or is a hoax. Please DO prove me wrong. I would be very happy to see proof that the software decoder works as well as the hardware filter.

On a different subject - I opened my Oppo HDCD capable DVD player, and I don't see a Pacific Microsonics chip. I haven't looked on the bottom side of any of the boards yet. My player has a sticker on the board that says it is V5.0, if that tells you anything.

Does anyone know where to find a reasonably priced HDCD dac?

jacobacci

Jan 8, 2017
The conversion software probably does not work exactly like the Pacific Microsonics HDCD Chip based solution, but for me and for all practical purposes it will do and save me a lot of hassle.
If you do want the real thing, a used Berkeley Alpha DAC is probably the best way to go
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=berkeley+alpha+dac
Should be able to find one for around 1'500 USD if you look around.
I sold mine about six months ago.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
No, but I can SEE that the output of what I type goes into the database serving this forum. I am not saying that the software is broken or is a hoax. Please DO prove me wrong. I would be very happy to see proof that the software decoder works as well as the hardware filter.

On a different subject - I opened my Oppo HDCD capable DVD player, and I don't see a Pacific Microsonics chip. I haven't looked on the bottom side of any of the boards yet. My player has a sticker on the board that says it is V5.0, if that tells you anything.

Why don't you put a WTB ad in the Buy-Sell Forum here

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumdisplay.php?227-Buy-and-Sell-Forum

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

No HDCD chip = No HDCD decoding.

Sorry, I thought there was one, my mistake. It will play them (HDCD encoded CDs), they will sound good, but un-decoded.

You can buy a second-hand CD player, Universal DVD/BR player with a HDCD decoder in it for $50-100
Arcam, Rotel, Denon, some Oppo models, NAD, etc. (eBay). A HDCD light will light up on the front panel.
What kind of budget do you have? Ten bucks?

Check Rotel 971 model, Oppo 983 model, Oppo 83 model, Denon 2910 model, etc. ... more than ten dollars and less than two hundred.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No HDCD chip = No HDCD decoding.
(...)

I have a few Audioquest recordings that came with two CDs - a normal redbook and the HDCD version. At the time I got them I kept the HDCD disk and offered the normal CD to a friend, as my player had the HDCD chip. But when I got a non-HDCD super CD player I had to beg him to accept my HDCD CDs in exchange for the normal ones ... Fortunately his player has HDCD!

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have a few Audioquest recordings that came with two CDs - a normal redbook and the HDCD version. At the time I got them I kept the HDCD disk and offered the normal CD to a friend, as my player had the HDCD chip. But when I got a non-HDCD super CD player I had to beg him to accept my HDCD CDs in exchange for the normal ones ... Fortunately his player has HDCD!

You like Blues ? Francisco, like me. :cool:

* All the HDCD encoded discs will play in all CD/SACD/DVD/BR players...no matter if they have the HDCD chip decoder or not.
It's the same with all CDs (LPCM); they will play in all players that spin 5" shiny discs.
All SACDs (hybrid) will play in all CD players.

** If I play one of my HDCD discs in one of my old CD players circa 1987 (Denon DCD-1500MKII), it will sound better than the non-encoded CD. ...Generally.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
This subject has been discussed on other forums in years past, and it has been many years since Pacific Microsonics has made a HDCD "chip" for use in playback devices. All HDCD-compatible devices have for years used software (or more properly firmware) decoding licensed from Microsoft, who purchased Pacific Microsonics and HDCD awhile back (2005?). I would be surprised if the Foobar and dBPoweramp HDCD-decoders worked any differently than the firmware implementations. Amirm might know more, since he worked for Microsoft for several years after they acquired HDCD.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
In the Oppo 971's manual there's no mention of a HDCD decoder, just that HDCD among other format codecs is supported.
The researches I did led me to no certain charters. I've seen no HDCD light to confirm the 971's HDCD decoding acknowledgement.
I first thought the box said HDCD but it is not clear, the player's top has no HDCD logo.
One person said that it has the HDCD decoder, but he was alone.
I thought he was right but I was wrong. Inside the machine I also thought there was a HDCD chip but there too I was wrong.
...And the reason why I asked Grattle to remove the top cover and look for it. He just did now and he couldn't find it. So there's none (proof).

The Oppo 971 is an older DVD player, and very inexpensive. Today you can get a much better sounding HDCD player for less than $200, a used one.

All my HDCD players and other HDCD decoders have a light to confirm the HDCD decoding. Or it says [HDCD] on the front panel window when you play a CD encoded with HDCD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Definition_Compatible_Digital

All my HDCD players have the HDCD decoder/filter chip inside. ...The one I posted a picture of not long ago. And it was replaced by the PMD-200 later on.
http://www.hifimaker.com/documents/pmd200.pdf

Both the PMD-100 and PMD-200 are fairly large rectangle (PMD-100) and square (PMD-200) ICs. You can't miss them on the circuit board.

The PMD-100 has 28 pins.
The PMD-200 has 100 pins.

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Bob, nowhere in those links does it say anything about a Pacific Microsonics chip being required for a player to be HDCD certified. And in fact, here's a post from Gordon Rankin in 2002 that appears to be relevant

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/messages/38246.html

Posted by Gordon Rankin (M) on February 20, 2002 at 08:19:15
In Reply to: PMD200 upsampling options posted by Gordon Rankin on February 19, 2002 at 11:59:53:

Gang,
Interesting after spending like a week trying to get info on the part, I got an email today from Microsoft HDCD operations:

~~~~~~

PMD200 is no longer available, it has been discontinued.

To view all authorized HDCD chips currently being distributed, please go to

http://www.hdcd.com/partners/tech_partners/index.html

Please Note: The next closest chip to the PMD200 is the raw DSP part from Motorola running HDCD decoder code. Since the PMD200 only works in Prog Mode now (i.e., you would have to use a microcontroller for the PMD200 anyways), you will only need to modify the microcontroller circuit/code to program the 563xx series DSP.

~~~~~

I imagine that means the code is available and you can do you own DSP implementation. Heck for them it is proabably a lot easier to control.

Just FYI,
Gordon
J. Gordon Rankin

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Your Oppo DV-971H DVD player model does decode HDCD encoded CDs.

"The OPDV971H fully supports HDCD. When a HDCD track or HDCD disc is
played, the on screen display (OSD) will show "HDCD" briefly. During
the entire track, the front panel display will show the "HDCD" icon.
When a standard CD track is played, the OSD will show "CD" briefly and
the front panel display will show the "CD" icon.

HDCD decoding is done by the OPDV971H if analog audio output is used.
When digital audio output is in use, it is the responsibility of the AV
receiver to decode the HDCD digital stream.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.
453 Ravendale Dr, Suite D
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119"

______

"OK. I popped in an HDCD cd.
The Oppo does display HDCD on the screen for a second and there is a HDCD indicator on the front panel of the dvd player."
______

Voila; just play a CD that is encoded with HDCD and your Oppo 971 player will show you the way...to the HDCD light heavens.
And that, is your confirmation. The manual doesn't mention it, the HDCD logo is not on the top of your player (but it might be on its original cardboard promo card that came in the box).

You have a HDCD player, 100% certain. You just save yourself between $20 and $200 (roughly). With that money go buy few HDCDs.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/65414/hdcd-list

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing