New Mac owner needs help with pass through set up

patayres

May 22, 2015
Recently picked up the MAC6700 receiver and now need to integrate it into our Yamaha 5.1 home theater system. The manual doesn't really give the details needed for this & I would very much appreciate any and all advice about how others have gone about doing this.

By the way, it's a wonderful feeling to join the Mcintosh family. I've aspired to owning one for many years!

Thanks!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congratulations. The only thought I have is some kind of speaker selector or if you don't do it often, manually moving the wires from your 5.1 system to the Mac.

Steve has two parallels systems or used to so maybe he can advise if he had a better scheme.

patayres

May 22, 2015
Sorry I wasn't specific enough... the MAC6700 has a 'pass through' option which is supposed to simply this type of integration. It's just not well explained in the manual how one goes about such a thing. Anyone able to explain the pass through wiring process?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yamaha L and R out into Mac HT Bypass Input L and R. Speakers connected to Mc. Calibrate the output levels on the Yammie. That's it.

If the Mc happens to have what's called fixed gain features that are applicable to any of the inputs, then assign one of those inputs as the HT bypass and engage fixed gain. Set a fixed level from 0dB or lower and proceed to do the steps above.

Hope this helps, enjoy and congratulations on the new McIntosh!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I hope I can help. What you are using is the theater through pass which has unity gain. By taking your left and right main channels out from the Yamaha and into the inputs for the theater through pass in the Mac you are then able to use your Mac to control all channels so that the gain is uniform.

patayres

May 22, 2015
Excellent - I'm pretty sure that I follow the process. I will report back with any issues. Thanks everyone!

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Congrats on the new MAC6700. Please be sure to update us on your progress with its integration into your system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing