I am finished with cables

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
At least for a little bit. :)

I just replaced the 1 meter Sigma HC cables with 1.75 meter versions, and replaced the Zitron Python on the pre with a Sigma Analog. Between adding the Sigmas and moving to the Triton v2, I have over hauled my two channel power. Plus, the trickle down cables have moved into the HT/surround system. Now it is time to jump off this train and enjoy it for a year or two, or the rest of my life. Unless somebody can come up with something better, at a lower price, I am going to try and stop upgrading cables. It is hard to imagine being able to extract even more detail out of the music.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Yes. I feel this is my inflection point into the realm of diminishing returns.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
No. Not yet.

crion

Oct 29, 2014
CGS cables have a positive effect in my system on both active speakers(Furutech 8GA), preamp(sigma digital) and BD-source(sigma digital).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
CGS cables have a positive effect in my system on both active speakers(Furutech 8GA), preamp(sigma digital) and BD-source(sigma digital).

Isn't your preamp and BD source plugged into your Triton or are you also using the CGS for additional grounding

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Using it in addition.

Triton v2, phase 1, low current components, preamp Meridian 861v8, sources, HDMI switch etc.
Triton v2, phase 2, high current components, active speakers, Meridian DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Using it in addition.

Triton v2, phase 1, low current components, preamp Meridian 861v8, sources, HDMI switch etc.
Triton v2, phase 2, high current components, active speakers, Meridian DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC

not sure I understand about what you mean about phase 1 and phase 2. When you plug these into the Triton they have the benefit of all using the central ground on the unit.so I'm not certain why you would also use CGS cables if the components are plugged into the Triton

crion

Oct 29, 2014
I was wondering if that were the case. So you are grounding the components from one Triton (which are already grounded) via the external CGS of that Triton to the CGS of the other Triton???

I thought to do it that way first but then I got nervous and went for KISS. Just their local Triton with CGS cables.

Last edited:

crion

Oct 29, 2014
The prevailing wisdom seems to be that all dedicated circuits for an audio system should be tied to one phase of the electrical panel only.

I know the dogma, but the system is so large and spread out I use actually all three phases for different stuff in the HT.

I have 0 ground loop problems in my electrical wiring.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

Hey Crion,

If you haven't done it yet - connect the CGS system from each of the TRITON's to each other. Since you are running multiple lines and multiple TRITONs this may be helpful.

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Hey Crion,

If you haven't done it yet - connect the CGS system from each of the TRITON's to each other. Since you are running multiple lines and multiple TRITONs this may be helpful.

Thanks Caelin, I have one more CGS cable I will try it out. Edit: It will be better with a double banana I will have to wait. :rolleyes:

-
What I experienced immediately when i connected the first 3 CGS cables to the front active speakers was a couple of things, some sibilance but some clarity and more live presence, more pluck on the guitarstrings if you will. As time progressed the sibilance toned down and clarity and presence trumped also the bass seemed to become more omnipresent less attention to itself more part of the whole. The texture and attack was more natural as verified with Piano (which I've played and enjoy listening to).

Now when attaching the CGS cable to my digital preamp (Meridian 861v8) This happened again, some slight sibilance but again, more real music presence, truer texture, truer attack and decay, some "slam" (which I now attribute to distorsion) went away.

During these 2 evenings I have listened to alot of music and for me it's very apparent that the system have gotten more true to the source. A sceptic thought would have been that it just coincided with the total breakin of the v2 but that doesn't hold any water because then it wouldn't again improve/change in character once I connected the preamp with a CGS cable. And then again when I connected the BD source.

Watching Unbroken on BD with the starting planes suspense scene is very effective with music and engines sounds perfect as they zoom front to back and forth.

I really wanted to wait with these findings but as I said to myself in the beginning, this can't make this much difference, but for me it felt like the v2 experience just expanded.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Bud

would you say that upgrading from the V1 to the V2 was in the realm of diminishing returns ;)

Just when you thought you were out , they pull you back in, as Michael Corleone said in Godfather 3

Well, technically, the Triton v2 isn't a cable, and it certainly improved over the v1. Would a v3 be even better? I guess we will find out, but I hope that is a few years away. :)

I think I am now going to look into DSP engines, and find out what they can do. I probably will start with one of the DEQX products.

http://www.deqx.com/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing